Checking hub and tire temperatures - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-28-2002, 10:43 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
JJ & Suz,

Before you start fondling the running gear read the third post on the following thread: :jump :jump

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php...387&page=1#2334

Old 11-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #16

Thanks, Morgan

I appreciate the link. I always test the waters (or gear/tire in this case) to see if any heat is radiating off of it. I learned my lesson the hard way one time (hummm....I believe that was somewhere around 19 aught 8 or at least in that century). As the old time southerners used to do, I kept my much-used iron skillet in the oven. For what ever reason (probably distracted) I left my skillet in the oven when it was preheating....Funny, you would think that my reaction time would have been faster since I was much younger, but nope. It wasn't until after I had grabbed the skillet with my bare hand and was halfway up to the stove top before the pain reached my brain by shouting 'IDIOT, USE A HOT PAD!'

So...I always check the level of radiating heat, followed by a light finger tap before I proceed.

Lesson learned but I sure could have used one of those signs them.;)

Old 11-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #17

Hot Stuf

Well, here's a handy tip when around potentially "hot" electric wires; don't grab, tap, but do it with the BACK of your finger or hand -- that way if it's hot and causes your muscles to contract your hand will be pulled away from contact rather than pushed into it (Voice of Experience speaking here, vividly recalling the time I tried to stop a lawnmower engine by firmly grasping the uninsulated plug wire connection -- ripped a hole in my thumb...).

The subjectivity of How Hot? is answered by checking all the time. You will quickly learn what "normal" is under a variety of conditions, including ambient temps, road speeds and braking.

If tires are hot, check pressures and if they are OK, then slow down. A tire with only 5 psi being towed in 4WD low-low gear will not get hot; same tire at 80 mph will not get far.

If bearings are hot, esp one side compared to other, also slow down and get to repair place to repack or replace (I make an assumption here that you have already weighed your trailer side-to-side and there's no glareing difference -- you *have* done that, haven't you?) or check brakes to see if one is dragging or not functioning.

Quickest way to check equal brake function is to drive slow and use the control to cycle the brakes on and off a few times. If that makes the front end of your truck try to swing to one side or the other, the brakes aren't equal. Next step is ammeter to see current drain, which should be about 2.5 Amps per magnet (5 Amps for single axle). If drain is OK, then one side is adjusted too tight or the other is too loose; if drain is not OK, then wire is broken or magnet is NFG (polite version is Not Fine Goods).

If one bearing is REALLY hot, or you can hear grinding when your driver inches the rig forward or you jack up the wheel and spin it OR if the wheel seems a bit cockeyed, don't drive it any further or you will chance permanently damaging the axle spindle (needing entire new axle).

Pete and Rats
Old 11-29-2002, 08:04 AM   #18

Thanks for all the input

At first, I thought it was going to be another one of these :o. However, after digesting it, I began to see that, like everything else, it's pretty much getting a feel for it (gained from experience) and common sense.
Quote:
(I make an assumption here that you have already weighed your trailer side-to-side and there's no glareing difference -- you *have* done that, haven't you?)
I totally understand the importance of this. Although I have tried, I haven't accomplished it - - yet. This leads to another area of which I have some thoughts and inquiries so I am going to post on another thread.