Chevy Cruze diesel 2013/4 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
The newest "disease-els" all require injection of a Urea-based "Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF to clean up exhaust emissions. I was just reading in the Good Sam "Highways" magazine that came in today's mail that the stuff freezes at 12*F! Haven't the designers of these things heard about places in North America that lay OUTSIDE of the San Diego city limits?

I know that a new Duramax gets a zillion HP and nearly 800 pd-ft of torque, so it can tow nearly anything, anywhere, but if it can't go outside to play in the winter.......

Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
The newest "disease-els" all require injection of a Urea-based "Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF to clean up exhaust emissions. I was just reading in the Good Sam "Highways" magazine that came in today's mail that the stuff freezes at 12*F! Haven't the designers of these things heard about places in North America that lay OUTSIDE of the San Diego city limits?

I know that a new Duramax gets a zillion HP and nearly 800 pd-ft of torque, so it can tow nearly anything, anywhere, but if it can't go outside to play in the winter.......
You can drive with frozen DEF

“Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.”
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...es/MB10033.pdf

George.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Could be due to cold engine, but the temp gauge showed normal operating temps during the whole trip as it had been idling for at least 10 minutes before we started out.

What I was told was that the particulate filter clogs quickly and additional fuel is delivered to the filter purely for burning out the carbon particles clogging the screen. Since it was unknown where on the cycle the engine was, it is quite possible that most of the time I was driving it, an additional fuel stream was being delivered to the particle filter.

Could be, but as a customer I expect a lot better.
Perhaps, there should be an indicator showing that burning process is on.
George.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #18

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable.
One thing that most diesel drivers love is how much mid range torque they have, rather like an old-fashioned undersquare engine. Most turbodiesels do have a nasty drop-off at low revs when the turbo stops working, so they may pull like a train from 1800 rpm but be slow as a dog at 1400 rpm. And on modern car diesels that rev to 4500 or more, that's a wide, wide power band.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
Could be due to cold engine, but the temp gauge showed normal operating temps during the whole trip as it had been idling for at least 10 minutes before we started out.

What I was told was that the particulate filter clogs quickly and additional fuel is delivered to the filter purely for burning out the carbon particles clogging the screen. Since it was unknown where on the cycle the engine was, it is quite possible that most of the time I was driving it, an additional fuel stream was being delivered to the particle filter.

Could be, but as a customer I expect a lot better.
Diesels will get better mileage with more miles, I had a Jeep CRD diesel and after 20,000 miles I was getting 20 mpg towing and 30 not towing. So a new one needs to be broken in. Also those gauges in Dodge trucks, I have a Ram with them are notorious for being incorrect re: instant mpg.
One more thing, Both Toyota and Nissan have 6 speed standard shift trucks.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The only downside to diesels is you can not run out of fuel, they are a pain to get started again, but otherwise they only have 7 moving parts and last forever.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We drive a 2000 Dodge ram 2500 ext cab diesel ,automatic to Canada every Summer. We are hauling an 18 ft boat with outboard , all the food and gear for a weeks trip , and three passeners ( 3- 200 lb plus men) Both the 8 ft. bed of the truck and the boat are full of junk. We average 20 to 22 MPG (depends on wind) every year. Can't explain 12.5 MPG ????
Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The only downside to diesels is you can not run out of fuel, they are a pain to get started again, but otherwise they only have 7 moving parts and last forever.
???????
Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #23

Pennsylvania
Registry
There is like a 6 step process in bleeding the lines of air etc in the owners manual in case you run out of fuel, there is also a water separator valve you have to flush. Real PIA, just like my old Mitsubishi VR-4, if it ran out of fuel it had to be towed to dealer for a complicated process. Luckily, I have not run out of fuel for past 35 years!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is like a 6 step process in bleeding the lines of air etc in the owners manual in case you run out of fuel, there is also a water separator valve you have to flush. Real PIA, just like my old Mitsubishi VR-4, if it ran out of fuel it had to be towed to dealer for a complicated process. Luckily, I have not run out of fuel for past 35 years!!
Diesels range from Lombardini to Series 60s, with branches out both ends and the sides of the list. They are as varied as gasoline engines.
Usually when I got a call they had zero moving parts and, as the great lyric poet Paul Simon said....
"Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart"
(the very basis of my livelihood)