Chevy Cruze diesel 2013/4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Chevy Cruze diesel 2013/4

Good news for diesel lovers. With some fresh blood in GM headquarters and Bob Lutz full retirement in May of 2010, the key GM anti diesel VP force, there is a validated hope to see Chevy Cruze Diesel, a potential future Jetta TDI competitor in US. Chevy Cruze is available in Europe with diesel already but it will take a couple of years to get here. Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.

Let’s hope.
George.

http://www.dailytech.com/CONFIRMED+Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lot s+in+2013/article22130.htm

GM CEO Akerson: Upcoming Diesel-Powered Chevy Cruze Is “Great”, “Quiet” | GM Authority
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.
I think you may be disappointed.

The sedan version is onyl available in the UK with the 2.0L diesel, but the hatchback engines go from 1.6L gas to 2.0L diesel and they all get the same 2640lb braked tow rating, so Chevy clearly don't think it's the engine that limits the car's towing ability.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chevy Diesel

The Cruze may not be ideal because apparently their goal is a high mileage vehicle and not a tow vehicle though 160 hp, 260 ft-lbs of torque, 6 speed transmission and 2640 pounds of tow capacity is plenty to tow anything I own.

The real magic is that Chevy (and Ford) have numerous capable, even award winning, small diesels in Europe that would be great for towing our sized rigs. It could be the start of a good tow vehicle with gobs of torque, and substantial mile/gallon improvements.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Chevy MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The Cruze may not be ideal because apparently their goal is a high mileage vehicle and not a tow vehicle though 160 hp, 260 ft-lbs of torque, 6 speed transmission and 2640 pounds of tow capacity is plenty to tow anything I own.

The real magic is that Chevy (and Ford) have numerous capable, even award winning, small diesels in Europe that would be great for towing our sized rigs. It could be the start of a good tow vehicle with gobs of torque, and substantial mile/gallon improvements.
I had a '83 chevette w/ a Isuzu diesel and 5 speed, sticker read 63 mpg; I got 65mpg highway, 45 city. I pulled a 18" boat w/ it with no problem(1900 lbs) Wish I still had it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Every time I hear about some great new diesel car coming to the US, it never happens. Honda, Subaru, Ford, etc... I will be REALLY surprised if it happens... especially with a US nameplate. Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.

Even a pro-diesel company like Mercedes ended up bringing their Smart car into the US with a stupid, wimpy, and less efficient gasoline engine. Thanks a lot!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Every time I hear about some great new diesel car coming to the US, it never happens. Honda, Subaru, Ford, etc... I will be REALLY surprised if it happens... especially with a US nameplate. Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.

Even a pro-diesel company like Mercedes ended up bringing their Smart car into the US with a stupid, wimpy, and less efficient gasoline engine. Thanks a lot!
Bob Lutz departure from GM, the guy who knows all about all cars except the ones from Europe, increased chances for GM to bring diesel here. GM bought 50% stake in VM-Motori the Italian diesel firm so this is good news. But, time will show.

Fiat is bringing their little 500 model with rather miserable 30/38 mpg (city/highway) gas mileage for such a small car, even thou their European version has 60/71 mpg diesel available.
Fiat is betting on the nostalgic element which I am not sure exists in US, how many folks here had the original Fiat 500. But, 60/70 mpg could be a paradigm shift. I drove the Fiat 500 diesel and it is surprisingly peppy. I don’t understand why there is such a hesitance to bring diesels to US, but there are a lot of "buts" here. Here is my shot of “buts” talking points against diesel in US:
- But, selling diesels in US is difficult; this is the most typical moto-press talking point, thank you moto-press, you did it.
- But, remember GM diesels disaster from seventies, well, this happen 40 years ago.
- But, all diesels require urea injection, yes depends on vehicle weight, Jetta doesn’t so Fiat would not be needing it as well.
- But, we don’t have clean diesel fuel, we do now.
- But, they smell bad, yes in seventies.
- But, they rattle, yes, in seventies.
- But, direct injection on Otto cycle will be as good, not quite, and at best 10%.
- But, electric is coming, yes, Volt for $40K at 230 MPG, yyaaa.
- But, diesel don’t accelerate as well as gas, yes, do we truly need 6sec to 60mph…….
- However??????, these points are rare.
How often do you see positive press on passenger diesels in US?

George.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.
This statement perfectly described Britain in the 1990s - the rest of Europe bought loads of diesels, but we didn't.

Now, there are more diesels sold than than petrol/gas and some wild results:
- Mercedes is introducing a diesel version of its SLK 2-seat sports car;
- Chrysler no longer sells any petrol/gas versions of its Voyager and 300 models:
- for some older models of cars, the diesel versions have second-hand values that are double the gas versions.

So in 20 years time, maybe North America will be the same. Nowadays, the idea of a non-diesel tow vehicle in Europe is very strange - big economy most of the year and big torque for towing.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
This statement perfectly described Britain in the 1990s - the rest of Europe bought loads of diesels, but we didn't.

- Chrysler no longer sells any petrol/gas versions of its Voyager and 300 models:
- for some older models of cars, the diesel versions have second-hand values that are double the gas versions.

So in 20 years time, maybe North America will be the same. Nowadays, the idea of a non-diesel tow vehicle in Europe is very strange - big economy most of the year and big torque for towing.
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable. Those who sell cars to Americans like the fact that the buyers are used to being TOLD what to like!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post

Interesting subject. Not in the market for a new tug myself but am just checking in from the UK and currently driving a rental Hyundi diesel.

Great mileage, acceleration and torque. I'll try and add some pics later. Anyway, point is, I'm very impressed with the thing. Great fun in the narrow twisties on the other side of the road with a six speed manual! Phew!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable. Those who sell cars to Americans like the fact that the buyers are used to being TOLD what to like!
I have saved up to purchase a new pickup to replace my old 78 Chev 4x4 that has a 350 engine and 4 speed manual transmission. My only complaint with the old one, besides being old and well used, is the fuel economy.

The only new pickup available with a manual transmission is a Dodge with a diesel. I test drove it, very gently, and the fuel economy gauge read 12.6 MPG upon returning. Ladies and gentlemen, that was a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission and on the freeway run with little traffic I only approached 60 MPH once on the entire run!

Not only that, but this vehicle was so high a person needs a stool climb into the cab and a step ladder just to check the oil. By the time it was outfitted with a bed liner, fiberglass canopy, the sales tax and license added, the dealer expected me to write her a check for more than $45,000. This for a diesel pickup that only got 12.6 MPG on a gentle freeway drive of about 10 miles!

My old Chevy does quite a bit better than that on gasoline that's about 10 - 15 percent cheaper. I'm sure you are getting the picture that I am very disappointed because I really want a new pickup truck now that I'm in my retirement years. Where is this fuel economy that diesel engines are supposed to deliver? Is it just a figment of the imagination of the advertising folks?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've been under the impression that high US standards for diesel emissions is the factor that's holding back most companies from bringing small diesels into the US. Perhaps our EPA has been overzealous?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
I have saved up to purchase a new pickup to replace my old 78 Chev 4x4 that has a 350 engine and 4 speed manual transmission. My only complaint with the old one, besides being old and well used, is the fuel economy.

The only new pickup available with a manual transmission is a Dodge with a diesel. I test drove it, very gently, and the fuel economy gauge read 12.6 MPG upon returning. Ladies and gentlemen, that was a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission and on the freeway run with little traffic I only approached 60 MPH once on the entire run!

Not only that, but this vehicle was so high a person needs a stool climb into the cab and a step ladder just to check the oil. By the time it was outfitted with a bed liner, fiberglass canopy, the sales tax and license added, the dealer expected me to write her a check for more than $45,000. This for a diesel pickup that only got 12.6 MPG on a gentle freeway drive of about 10 miles!

My old Chevy does quite a bit better than that on gasoline that's about 10 - 15 percent cheaper. I'm sure you are getting the picture that I am very disappointed because I really want a new pickup truck now that I'm in my retirement years. Where is this fuel economy that diesel engines are supposed to deliver? Is it just a figment of the imagination of the advertising folks?
With Ford 7.3l PSD I am getting 14-16 mpg highway pulling 21' Bigfoot; 14-15 city only; and close to 20 at 65 mph max. highway only. Dodge Cummins supposed to be better. If your ride was with cold diesel engine the gas mileage could be dramatically lower, I would assume that in your 10 min. ride the engine was not up to operating temperature. The best mileage ever, 22.3 mpg, I got with Bigfoot Camper driving 45 mph from Seattle to Oregon on side roads. I use my truck primarily for towing but always preheat (electric heater) the engine. My Jetta TDI is less sensitive to engine temperature but my Ford is.
George.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Good news for diesel lovers. With some fresh blood in GM headquarters and Bob Lutz full retirement in May of 2010, the key GM anti diesel VP force, there is a validated hope to see Chevy Cruze Diesel, a potential future Jetta TDI competitor in US. Chevy Cruze is available in Europe with diesel already but it will take a couple of years to get here. Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.

Let’s hope.
George.

http://www.dailytech.com/CONFIRMED+Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lot s+in+2013/article22130.htm

GM CEO Akerson: Upcoming Diesel-Powered Chevy Cruze Is “Great”, “Quiet” | GM Authority
If it happens, I wouldn't count on increased tow capacity. Have you seen one? Doesn't look remotely like a tow vehicle, but a really nice commuter/small family car.

However, any good entry in the diesel market is welcomed. I stopped to look at the Cruze (gas model) at the neighborhood dealership a few days ago. Cute vehicle. Good reviews. Decent mileage with a gas engine, especially in the eco model. With a diesel? Could give the few import marks a run for their money. It's priced nicely, and looks great, especially for the market segment it's meant to serve.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Could be due to cold engine, but the temp gauge showed normal operating temps during the whole trip as it had been idling for at least 10 minutes before we started out.

What I was told was that the particulate filter clogs quickly and additional fuel is delivered to the filter purely for burning out the carbon particles clogging the screen. Since it was unknown where on the cycle the engine was, it is quite possible that most of the time I was driving it, an additional fuel stream was being delivered to the particle filter.

Could be, but as a customer I expect a lot better.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
The newest "disease-els" all require injection of a Urea-based "Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF to clean up exhaust emissions. I was just reading in the Good Sam "Highways" magazine that came in today's mail that the stuff freezes at 12*F! Haven't the designers of these things heard about places in North America that lay OUTSIDE of the San Diego city limits?

I know that a new Duramax gets a zillion HP and nearly 800 pd-ft of torque, so it can tow nearly anything, anywhere, but if it can't go outside to play in the winter.......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
The newest "disease-els" all require injection of a Urea-based "Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF to clean up exhaust emissions. I was just reading in the Good Sam "Highways" magazine that came in today's mail that the stuff freezes at 12*F! Haven't the designers of these things heard about places in North America that lay OUTSIDE of the San Diego city limits?

I know that a new Duramax gets a zillion HP and nearly 800 pd-ft of torque, so it can tow nearly anything, anywhere, but if it can't go outside to play in the winter.......
You can drive with frozen DEF

“Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.”
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...es/MB10033.pdf

George.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Could be due to cold engine, but the temp gauge showed normal operating temps during the whole trip as it had been idling for at least 10 minutes before we started out.

What I was told was that the particulate filter clogs quickly and additional fuel is delivered to the filter purely for burning out the carbon particles clogging the screen. Since it was unknown where on the cycle the engine was, it is quite possible that most of the time I was driving it, an additional fuel stream was being delivered to the particle filter.

Perhaps, there should be an indicator showing that burning process is on.
George.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #18

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable.
One thing that most diesel drivers love is how much mid range torque they have, rather like an old-fashioned undersquare engine. Most turbodiesels do have a nasty drop-off at low revs when the turbo stops working, so they may pull like a train from 1800 rpm but be slow as a dog at 1400 rpm. And on modern car diesels that rev to 4500 or more, that's a wide, wide power band.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:

Diesels will get better mileage with more miles, I had a Jeep CRD diesel and after 20,000 miles I was getting 20 mpg towing and 30 not towing. So a new one needs to be broken in. Also those gauges in Dodge trucks, I have a Ram with them are notorious for being incorrect re: instant mpg.
One more thing, Both Toyota and Nissan have 6 speed standard shift trucks.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The only downside to diesels is you can not run out of fuel, they are a pain to get started again, but otherwise they only have 7 moving parts and last forever.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote