Chevy Cruze diesel 2013/4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Chevy Cruze diesel 2013/4

Good news for diesel lovers. With some fresh blood in GM headquarters and Bob Lutz full retirement in May of 2010, the key GM anti diesel VP force, there is a validated hope to see Chevy Cruze Diesel, a potential future Jetta TDI competitor in US. Chevy Cruze is available in Europe with diesel already but it will take a couple of years to get here. Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.

Let’s hope.
George.

http://www.dailytech.com/CONFIRMED+Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lot s+in+2013/article22130.htm

GM CEO Akerson: Upcoming Diesel-Powered Chevy Cruze Is “Great”, “Quiet” | GM Authority
__________________

__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.
I think you may be disappointed.

The sedan version is onyl available in the UK with the 2.0L diesel, but the hatchback engines go from 1.6L gas to 2.0L diesel and they all get the same 2640lb braked tow rating, so Chevy clearly don't think it's the engine that limits the car's towing ability.
__________________

__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Chevy Diesel

The Cruze may not be ideal because apparently their goal is a high mileage vehicle and not a tow vehicle though 160 hp, 260 ft-lbs of torque, 6 speed transmission and 2640 pounds of tow capacity is plenty to tow anything I own.

The real magic is that Chevy (and Ford) have numerous capable, even award winning, small diesels in Europe that would be great for towing our sized rigs. It could be the start of a good tow vehicle with gobs of torque, and substantial mile/gallon improvements.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Member
 
Don'n'Deb's Avatar
 
Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Posts: 93
Registry
Chevy MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The Cruze may not be ideal because apparently their goal is a high mileage vehicle and not a tow vehicle though 160 hp, 260 ft-lbs of torque, 6 speed transmission and 2640 pounds of tow capacity is plenty to tow anything I own.

The real magic is that Chevy (and Ford) have numerous capable, even award winning, small diesels in Europe that would be great for towing our sized rigs. It could be the start of a good tow vehicle with gobs of torque, and substantial mile/gallon improvements.
I had a '83 chevette w/ a Isuzu diesel and 5 speed, sticker read 63 mpg; I got 65mpg highway, 45 city. I pulled a 18" boat w/ it with no problem(1900 lbs) Wish I still had it.
__________________
RV There yet??
Don'n'Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Every time I hear about some great new diesel car coming to the US, it never happens. Honda, Subaru, Ford, etc... I will be REALLY surprised if it happens... especially with a US nameplate. Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.

Even a pro-diesel company like Mercedes ended up bringing their Smart car into the US with a stupid, wimpy, and less efficient gasoline engine. Thanks a lot!
__________________
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Every time I hear about some great new diesel car coming to the US, it never happens. Honda, Subaru, Ford, etc... I will be REALLY surprised if it happens... especially with a US nameplate. Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.

Even a pro-diesel company like Mercedes ended up bringing their Smart car into the US with a stupid, wimpy, and less efficient gasoline engine. Thanks a lot!
Bob Lutz departure from GM, the guy who knows all about all cars except the ones from Europe, increased chances for GM to bring diesel here. GM bought 50% stake in VM-Motori the Italian diesel firm so this is good news. But, time will show.

Fiat is bringing their little 500 model with rather miserable 30/38 mpg (city/highway) gas mileage for such a small car, even thou their European version has 60/71 mpg diesel available.
Fiat is betting on the nostalgic element which I am not sure exists in US, how many folks here had the original Fiat 500. But, 60/70 mpg could be a paradigm shift. I drove the Fiat 500 diesel and it is surprisingly peppy. I don’t understand why there is such a hesitance to bring diesels to US, but there are a lot of "buts" here. Here is my shot of “buts” talking points against diesel in US:
- But, selling diesels in US is difficult; this is the most typical moto-press talking point, thank you moto-press, you did it.
- But, remember GM diesels disaster from seventies, well, this happen 40 years ago.
- But, all diesels require urea injection, yes depends on vehicle weight, Jetta doesn’t so Fiat would not be needing it as well.
- But, we don’t have clean diesel fuel, we do now.
- But, they smell bad, yes in seventies.
- But, they rattle, yes, in seventies.
- But, direct injection on Otto cycle will be as good, not quite, and at best 10%.
- But, electric is coming, yes, Volt for $40K at 230 MPG, yyaaa.
- But, diesel don’t accelerate as well as gas, yes, do we truly need 6sec to 60mph…….
- However??????, these points are rare.
How often do you see positive press on passenger diesels in US?

George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Diesels don't sell well here, even if there is a SMALL loyal market for diesels. VW, BMW, and Mercedes own that market.
This statement perfectly described Britain in the 1990s - the rest of Europe bought loads of diesels, but we didn't.

Now, there are more diesels sold than than petrol/gas and some wild results:
- Mercedes is introducing a diesel version of its SLK 2-seat sports car;
- Chrysler no longer sells any petrol/gas versions of its Voyager and 300 models:
- for some older models of cars, the diesel versions have second-hand values that are double the gas versions.

So in 20 years time, maybe North America will be the same. Nowadays, the idea of a non-diesel tow vehicle in Europe is very strange - big economy most of the year and big torque for towing.
__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
This statement perfectly described Britain in the 1990s - the rest of Europe bought loads of diesels, but we didn't.

Now, there are more diesels sold than than petrol/gas and some wild results:
- Mercedes is introducing a diesel version of its SLK 2-seat sports car;
- Chrysler no longer sells any petrol/gas versions of its Voyager and 300 models:
- for some older models of cars, the diesel versions have second-hand values that are double the gas versions.

So in 20 years time, maybe North America will be the same. Nowadays, the idea of a non-diesel tow vehicle in Europe is very strange - big economy most of the year and big torque for towing.
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable. Those who sell cars to Americans like the fact that the buyers are used to being TOLD what to like!
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
CliveAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Posts: 562
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
This statement perfectly described Britain in the 1990s - the rest of Europe bought loads of diesels, but we didn't.

Now, there are more diesels sold than than petrol/gas and some wild results:
- Mercedes is introducing a diesel version of its SLK 2-seat sports car;
- Chrysler no longer sells any petrol/gas versions of its Voyager and 300 models:
- for some older models of cars, the diesel versions have second-hand values that are double the gas versions.

So in 20 years time, maybe North America will be the same. Nowadays, the idea of a non-diesel tow vehicle in Europe is very strange - big economy most of the year and big torque for towing.
Interesting subject. Not in the market for a new tug myself but am just checking in from the UK and currently driving a rental Hyundi diesel.

Great mileage, acceleration and torque. I'll try and add some pics later. Anyway, point is, I'm very impressed with the thing. Great fun in the narrow twisties on the other side of the road with a six speed manual! Phew!
__________________
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That last paragraph could be said of undersquare inline gasoline engines as well, just because nobody builds them anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't be viable. Those who sell cars to Americans like the fact that the buyers are used to being TOLD what to like!
I have saved up to purchase a new pickup to replace my old 78 Chev 4x4 that has a 350 engine and 4 speed manual transmission. My only complaint with the old one, besides being old and well used, is the fuel economy.

The only new pickup available with a manual transmission is a Dodge with a diesel. I test drove it, very gently, and the fuel economy gauge read 12.6 MPG upon returning. Ladies and gentlemen, that was a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission and on the freeway run with little traffic I only approached 60 MPH once on the entire run!

Not only that, but this vehicle was so high a person needs a stool climb into the cab and a step ladder just to check the oil. By the time it was outfitted with a bed liner, fiberglass canopy, the sales tax and license added, the dealer expected me to write her a check for more than $45,000. This for a diesel pickup that only got 12.6 MPG on a gentle freeway drive of about 10 miles!

My old Chevy does quite a bit better than that on gasoline that's about 10 - 15 percent cheaper. I'm sure you are getting the picture that I am very disappointed because I really want a new pickup truck now that I'm in my retirement years. Where is this fuel economy that diesel engines are supposed to deliver? Is it just a figment of the imagination of the advertising folks?
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,145
I've been under the impression that high US standards for diesel emissions is the factor that's holding back most companies from bringing small diesels into the US. Perhaps our EPA has been overzealous?
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
I have saved up to purchase a new pickup to replace my old 78 Chev 4x4 that has a 350 engine and 4 speed manual transmission. My only complaint with the old one, besides being old and well used, is the fuel economy.

The only new pickup available with a manual transmission is a Dodge with a diesel. I test drove it, very gently, and the fuel economy gauge read 12.6 MPG upon returning. Ladies and gentlemen, that was a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission and on the freeway run with little traffic I only approached 60 MPH once on the entire run!

Not only that, but this vehicle was so high a person needs a stool climb into the cab and a step ladder just to check the oil. By the time it was outfitted with a bed liner, fiberglass canopy, the sales tax and license added, the dealer expected me to write her a check for more than $45,000. This for a diesel pickup that only got 12.6 MPG on a gentle freeway drive of about 10 miles!

My old Chevy does quite a bit better than that on gasoline that's about 10 - 15 percent cheaper. I'm sure you are getting the picture that I am very disappointed because I really want a new pickup truck now that I'm in my retirement years. Where is this fuel economy that diesel engines are supposed to deliver? Is it just a figment of the imagination of the advertising folks?
With Ford 7.3l PSD I am getting 14-16 mpg highway pulling 21' Bigfoot; 14-15 city only; and close to 20 at 65 mph max. highway only. Dodge Cummins supposed to be better. If your ride was with cold diesel engine the gas mileage could be dramatically lower, I would assume that in your 10 min. ride the engine was not up to operating temperature. The best mileage ever, 22.3 mpg, I got with Bigfoot Camper driving 45 mph from Seattle to Oregon on side roads. I use my truck primarily for towing but always preheat (electric heater) the engine. My Jetta TDI is less sensitive to engine temperature but my Ford is.
George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Posts: 878
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Good news for diesel lovers. With some fresh blood in GM headquarters and Bob Lutz full retirement in May of 2010, the key GM anti diesel VP force, there is a validated hope to see Chevy Cruze Diesel, a potential future Jetta TDI competitor in US. Chevy Cruze is available in Europe with diesel already but it will take a couple of years to get here. Cruze towing limit in US is 1000lb, (2640lb in UK), hopefully with diesel GM will match UK numbers.

Let’s hope.
George.

http://www.dailytech.com/CONFIRMED+Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lot s+in+2013/article22130.htm

GM CEO Akerson: Upcoming Diesel-Powered Chevy Cruze Is “Great”, “Quiet” | GM Authority
If it happens, I wouldn't count on increased tow capacity. Have you seen one? Doesn't look remotely like a tow vehicle, but a really nice commuter/small family car.

However, any good entry in the diesel market is welcomed. I stopped to look at the Cruze (gas model) at the neighborhood dealership a few days ago. Cute vehicle. Good reviews. Decent mileage with a gas engine, especially in the eco model. With a diesel? Could give the few import marks a run for their money. It's priced nicely, and looks great, especially for the market segment it's meant to serve.

Sherry
__________________
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Could be due to cold engine, but the temp gauge showed normal operating temps during the whole trip as it had been idling for at least 10 minutes before we started out.

What I was told was that the particulate filter clogs quickly and additional fuel is delivered to the filter purely for burning out the carbon particles clogging the screen. Since it was unknown where on the cycle the engine was, it is quite possible that most of the time I was driving it, an additional fuel stream was being delivered to the particle filter.

Could be, but as a customer I expect a lot better.
__________________

__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra diesel pickup Craig D. Thompson Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 225 07-28-2015 04:02 PM
3.0L diesel V6 in North America by 2013 Adrian W General Chat 3 04-14-2011 09:45 PM
Subaru Forester Diesel? Bobbie Mayer General Chat 11 03-07-2009 07:23 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.