Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave

Anyone using one of these as a tow vehicle? If so, what do you think of it? What mpg are you getting both towing and non-towing?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Google results:
Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia as tow vehicle?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
I am keen as well to hear of anyone using this platform for towing as I too am considering it as a future purchase.

Thanks in advance for any good contributions!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnyda View Post
Rgrugg, I hope you can get a better response to your request for info than a link to a thread that has nothing in it of value.......
I'd say that your post had less value than Brian's post. He took the effort to provide a link.

It appears that this vehicle has a towing capacity of 5200#, which should cover just about anything commonly towed by posters here.

2013 Chevrolet Traverse Reviews, Expert Car Reviews on AOL Autos

Quote:
Towing capacity is 5,200 pounds, which means light boats, personal watercraft. Truck-based SUVs such as the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, or Toyota Sequoia can tow 7,000 to 9,000 pounds, making them better for towing bigger boats, heavier car trailers and enclosed trailers. Given the Traverse's pleasant road manners and efficient use of interior space, the extra towing capacity is the main reason to buy one of those larger truck-based alternatives.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
The two people I know who own Traverses have both told me that they would never buy one again. Nothing to do with towing... They have both taken many trips to the dealership for faulty parts. Could be an anomy... Or two.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
They are comparable in size and tow rating to my Highlander. My brother in law has one and complains that he can't get quite the highway MPGs that I do (19-21 for him, 23 for me), but otherwise he likes it ok.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
A very stout vehicle with quality ride.

Consumer Reports has them as average for reliability but has their "Recommended" stamp on them.

A number of folks rave about the way they tow their very large Airstreams.

I'm not a fan of GM vehicles but this one sounds like a good one for towing.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Michigan
We're looking at a low mileage 2011 Buick Enclave, probably either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. It should tow our EggCamper just fine. Its tow rating is roughly double the weight of our trailer. Reason for the switch from our gorgeous Chevy Silverado is so my wife can enter and exit more easily. She has Parkinson's and back issues. FWIW, heated seats are extremely helpful for bad backs. We're almost a matched set in that category.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
MC1

Ontario
rg.... The current Consumers Report shows the 1st year Enclaves as having more problems than anyone would want. Avoid the 08's. The later ones especially the 11's and 12's look fine. Sounds like they have a very compliant suspension that would work great for the back ailments. Good Luck.

If you are interested here is a towing report that talks about the fine qualities of the Enclave. See post #15 here..... Suburbans, Escalades going to FWD! - Page 2 - Airstream Forums
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
If your going to buy a used one? Ask to see the CarFax!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've ridden in my sister's Traverse and they ride very comfortably. You'd probably like it.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Michigan
We're picking up the Enclave tomorrow morning. it's a 2011 with about 16,000 miles on it. I've dealt with this dealer for 21 years and this Enclave will be number 10 in that time span. It's a small town dealer where they know us. 9 of those 10 vehicles were bought from the same sales guy who was a student in the high school where I taught. Hard to believe that a former student has been retired for over a year. Hated to see that because he knew more about what he sold than any other salesman at any other dealer that I've bought from. The icing on the cake was that he is an RVer so is knowledgeable about weights, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Sounds good Bob. I wish I could find a dealer like you have. The ones around here I think of as thugs/clowns/idiots.

We live in a GM town. Ten years ago it was common to see Tahoes and Yukons. Now they seem to have been replaced with the Lamba platform vehicles like the Enclave.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

Michigan
Picked up the Enclave this morning. What a sweet vehicle. So smooth and quiet and my wife has NO difficulties getting in and out. Now I have to put in all the **** that we seem to think we "need" in our vehicles. Then I'll put in all the trailer/camping **** that we DO (think) that we need since we're heading out on March 29. And I was wrong about the miles on it. Only 13,000 . Saved at least $12,000 by not buying new.