Chevy Traverse towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
I have seen a number of different tow vehicles listed here but none talk about the Chevrolet Traverse. We have pulled an 1,800 pound trailer with this vehicle but are currently upgrading to a 2,400 pound Casita. The Traverse has the factory tow package and is rated at more than 5,000 pounds combined weight so I do not anticipate any problems. I am curious however if anyone else here utilizes this vehicle or its twin, the GMC Acadia, and if so, how does it handle in mountain territory? I would appreciate all input on this subject.
I recently purchased a 17 ft Casita Spirit DLX The listed factory weight was 2480 Lbs as you stated . Mine with options weighed in at over 2600 lbs when I left the factory. When loaded up for camping, some water in the fresh water tank and propane in both tanks the trailer weighs well over 3100 lbs. I am towing my Casita with a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 and a towing capacity of 8550 lbs . I am not questioning your choice of vehicle but the weight you quoted is not a real world weight . Many will tell you that you won't even notice the trailer towing with a traverse but all I know is that even with my full size pickup , I notice that I am towing a 3200 lb trailer

Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Unfortunately for me we had the Traverse before selecting our trailer which we decided only after owning the Traverse for more than three years. I fully understand and agree with what you said about feeling the trailer or any trailer as it is towed and if I have a problem with the Traverse will look for a stronger vehicle. I have towed trailers for more years than I care to count and I never felt safe and secure if I was not aware of it behind my vehicle. Not "feeling" a towed vehicle is behind you could tend to let a driver become overconfident, but that is only my personal opinion. Your Ram could be among the ideal vehicle of choice for this size trailer. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Re Traverse towing prowess

Quote:
I would appreciate all input on this subject.
No problem. There is lots of good information out there on the subject of the Lamba platform and it's towing abilities. Hopefully with the info supplied here in this thread you have accumulated some valuable data, or at least, food for thought.

Best of luck with your Traverse. Thinking you have a very good tow vehicle.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
New information

"I was given this website in response to my original post below and found it quite interesting about the Traverse/Acadia. Dozens of complaints are listed and a class action lawsuit has been filed. Scary and I just hope I do not experience these same problems with my Traverse but people may be interested in reading this web site

General Motors named in class action lawsuit over faulty steering system in GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and Chevrolet Traverse vehicles | Got a Class Action?

Quote:
I have seen a number of different tow vehicles listed here but none talk about the Chevrolet Traverse. We have pulled an 1,800 pound trailer with this vehicle but are currently upgrading to a 2,400 pound Casita. The Traverse has the factory tow package and is rated at more than 5,000 pounds combined weight so I do not anticipate any problems. I am curious however if anyone else here utilizes this vehicle or its twin, the GMC Acadia, and if so, how does it handle in mountain territory? I would appreciate all input on this subject.