Class 2 hitch for 2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen, or best tow vehicle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Class 2 hitch for 2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen, or best tow vehicle?

I've been shopping for a Casita or Scamp 16', and have towed several with my 2015 diesel VW Sportwagen. Seems fine uphill & down. I am uncomfortable with the rig, however, because I have only a class 1 hitch. In Europe, this car is rated one of the best small tow vehicles, and regularly tows up to 3000#. Anyone know where I can get a class 2 hitch or its equivalent shy of importing it from Europe?
And alternatively, any suggestions for the best small tow vehicle for towing up to about 3500 - 4000 lbs without more power and gas guzzling than necessary?
capnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had 2013 and 2009 Sportwagen TDIs and used the Westfalia hitches and they are rated to the euro rating of the cars.
I towed my 16' Scamp quite a bit NS IT WAS ok, but the 2016 Town and Country I bought to replace one when they were recalled and it tows better and gets 16 MPG.
I use the factory hitch and wiring harness on both the VW and the T&C.
If you go with the Golf you need to buy the kit from P.F. Jones in the UK and also get the trailer module as well. You will need to get a brake controller as well as the Europeans don't use electric brakes.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a Casita 16 has a GWR of 3500 lbs. it requires a class III hitch (2"), and the tongue weight will run 300-500 lbs, which to me seems way heavier than VW Golf suspension would carry safely.

european caravans are quite differently built than US ones, and run much lighter tongue weights. they also aren't hauled anywheres near the distances we regularlly drag our fiberglass eggs around.

IMHO, the best tow vehicle is one with a real frame, and RWD drive. that basically means a pickup truck or a truck-based SUV like a 4runner. We towed our Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 with a Tacoma 4x4 quite handily all over the west coast from Mojave to the Olympic Peninsula.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Class 2 hitch for 2015 Golf TDI wagon

Thank you both for your responses. Still gathering data and thoughts on both sides of the question. Wanting to be safe, without unnecessary expenditure and investment.
Jack
capnjack is offline   Reply With Quote