Coleman Brandywine 1974 electric brake replacment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Coleman
I have searched the archive and net but don't see what I need to I wanted to check with you guys.

I just bought the pop up listed above. I just removed a hub and the electric brake (all original). The spindle is in good shape, as is the hub. The brake is shot (rusty, wires cut, frozen).

I'd like to buy a new electric brake to replace and put into the same hub along with new bearings (just to be safe). However, I can't find any info on the hub on the net. It's a "drum" type hub.

The hub says "Dayton"; "Fayette"; "9219"; "max dia. 7.20 in."

A couple of questions:

1-is there a way to find a replacement for the brake only?
2-if not, is there a way to find a replacement for the hub/brake assembly?
3-what is the best source?
4-what info do I need to replace all? Bolt pattern, axle capacity, and thimble size?

Lastly, I am thinking about moving the axle from above the springs to below for more clearance. The axle itself has a slight bow up in the middle. Is that intentional or the result of damage? Assuming the bow is intentional, is it as simple as moving the axle, in the same orientation, from above to below the leaf springs (and maybe new "U" bolts?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Tom B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tom, someone can probably give you some pointers because brakes are brakes are brakes, no matter what trailer. However, our focus on this forum is molded lightweight fiberglass towables. So, if you don't get the answers you seek, I'd suggest you check the Open Road forums at RV.net. There are currently over 16,000 topics dealing with foldable camp trailers.

Click here: RV.Net Open Roads Forum

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Coleman
Ok. Thanks.

I've been thinking Casita, Scamp, Boler, Burro for so long, I keep forgetting that I am in the wrong forum. The pop up is just a temporary fix....a cheap warm up for the real deal.

Tom
Tom B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Members will be glad to help you if they can. Often new members find us looking for some answers to other types of trailers. I just wanted to point out the Open Road forums as another source for you. After all, you're looking for help and will want to gather as much useful information possible before spending any $$.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
A couple of questions:

<strike>1-is there a way to find a replacement for the brake only?</strike>
[b]2-if not, is there a way to find a replacement for the hub/brake assembly?
3-what is the best source?
4-what info do I need to replace all? Bolt pattern, axle capacity, and thimble size?

Lastly, I am thinking about moving the axle from above the springs to below for more clearance. The axle itself has a slight bow up in the middle. Is that intentional or the result of damage? Assuming the bow is intentional, is it as simple as moving the axle, in the same orientation, from above to below the leaf springs (and maybe new "U" bolts?
Your brake parts are Obsolete. You are facing the came situation I did when I had to have my brakes replaced in this thread: Obsolete Brakes. Dexter is the only manufacturer of 7" brakes still in business, so you will have to install Dexter brakes. They provide all the appropriate hardware needed to fit the new hubs to your existing axle plates.

Yes, the bow is intentional. Definitely reinstall the axle with [b]all new hardware; otherwise it is simple.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
What you propose here is called Under-Slung Over-Slung and can have good results, esp if it raises the trailer and frame to be level with the bottom of tow vehicle for less "air dam" effect. Be SURE that the springs in the new position can flex no more than they did in the old position or you are likely to break one or two sets.

Look into the pricing for an entire replacement axle with brakes as this is likely the least expensive way to go -- At one time (and maybe still), it was less expensive to buy a new axle with brakes, strip and install the parts on the old axle and discard the new axle than it was to buy the brake parts! Check with Redneck Trailer Supply for good prices.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote