Collateral Damage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
"Products are defective by design or by manufacturing procedure all the time."

This statement may very well be proof of Floyd's contention that wading thru the anecdotal and circumstantial is a satisfactory way to deal with internet advice and recs. Let's say poor old Goodyear's blowout problem were design or manuf. defect dependent. If the defect was corrected or the design changed, the performance and longevity of Marathon trailer tires might improve. And might go south again at some future date. Presumably Kumho or Maxxis could experience the same cycle. So let's hope there are up cycles as well as down and that the chronology of what folks are telling us matches their own recent experience and not what they heard ten yrs. ago.

Carlisle has made great improvements in performance and longevity, yet many still cling to the "Logan's Run" method. As for my contentions, I just wonder if my point would have been even further clarified had I left in the rest of my comment.....NAH!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Dave, recommended product section fell apart because there is a diversity of opinions and no one wanted the job of posting a consensus of viewpoints that will make everyone happy. Your idea was not shot down, it was discussed and dropped, partly because people got their undies in a twist discussing even a couple of products.

Byron I wish you would not call anyone a fool, your generally very generous with your help and advice. As is Dave. Not agreeing is not a reason to be disagreeable.

We drive different, we use different criteria as to what is important. We don't help each other, or anyone using the forum by getting on each others case. Or change each others minds.

We all love our eggs, no point in being hard on each other. Norm has pretty much stopped posting because of the satisifaction of sharing ideas was not worth the grief. Would hate to lose you two over the same situation.
Make love not war

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Much angst over a rather simple topic - tires. Each of us should post our experiences, and not just the bad ones.

Someone buys a trailer with used tires from a stranger, drives them at legal but higher than most trailer speeds, and the tires blowout.

Is Goodyear at fault? Maybe and maybe not.

We've used Goodyear tires on all three of our trailers, carefully inflate them to their normal maximum, check them reqularly at each stop, watch their pressure and temperature while driving, drive them at reasonable speeds, never have anybody give us the finger or toot angrily at us (we always pull over for high speed or working vehicles and usually get a freindly toot or wink of the lights).

Our Goodyears have never failed, no flats, no blowouts and many, many miles thru all of North America towed happily by our, as others say, 'underpowered' Honda CRV.

Our site is a destination for our experiences. Others can choose to use our shared experiences as they see fit.

Anger is not apporpriate but differences should be read and considered with out feeling threatened but rather as a broadening experience.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I personally don't mind getting a different opinion or when someone such as yourself weighs in with related information that might shed light on a subject. Contrary light or not.

I also appreciate the OP as being a thoughtful reminder to check for other damage after a blow out, which can happen due to road hazard damage even to the best tire with proper maint. at any highway speed.

After religion (in the middle east perhaps) tire opinions tend to get people fired up. And your right to keep a sense of humor about it. It's not like none of us have ever banged our thumb and cussed at the hammer.

I would enjoy a post where people simply gave the details of how they drive (speed and how many miles they have driven over what period of time), what tire they use on what size of rig (weight and double vs single axle)

Then simply say if they would give it 1 - 5 stars. Then people could pick what is best based on their needs and driving habits.

If your requirements are like Dave drives then give more weight to his experience, if your usage is more like Norms then his observations would be of more value.

Probably just start a flame war.

Heck I don't drive the limit on the interstate in my car, and find just under the speed limit everyone just passes me so I spend most of my time with a big chunk empty highway around me until the next pack of cars running bumper to bumper catch up.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
Name: William E.
Trailer: "Investigating for Retirement"
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This forum is filled misinformation and misleading information, most of the time I laugh at it. I know that people will get upset if I call it. Once again I need to just laugh it off and forget it.
yes byron, your method of communication with dave, was inappropriate in the way you presented it, try leaving those traits at work or church, lighten up a bit. i say this cause i have been there more times than i want to remember...

i am new here, but the advice about collateral damage was something i would not have thought of, unless "of course", i saw all the CACA that was hit by the FAN/tire, and then attacked the other vehicles.

good night
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
closing down the thread, too much name calling

Closed Thread