Collision Damage to Factory Receiver - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The surprise really is that the principals seldom have any say in settling collision payments or responsibilities.
The insurance companies will likely make all those decisions.
We were rear ended at a stop sign a few years ago. The fellow had Progressive. The insurance rep gave me a list of body shops I could use. There aren't many around here and the one I would have chosen was on his list. When I took the car in I had a chat with the shop owner. The car was fairly new and I asked for OEM parts. He said that was up to the insurance co. Basically he worked for them not me. This is quite different than my past experience. That may be why some need the lawyer. Its nice to have someone that is looking out for you
Quote:
I would not get a lawyer unless you want litigation in lieu of a fair settlement.
In most cases I wouldn't either but in some cases ........ Raz

Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Best wishes Jon. I hope you are OK health wise.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing and what happens with the car. We're all concerned.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
There is also an issue with "diminished value''. Most body shops file a report describing the repairs that were done. Later a prospective purchaser might read this report from Car Fax or other sources and because of this the vehicles value becomes questionable. It is not unreasonable for you to get additional money now because you will likely take a reduced price when you sell or trade. A vehicle that was in an accident is less desirable regardless of how good the repair was.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I finally got a good look underneath the rear of the vehicle. It looks much better than I expected, especially as regards towing. The receiver is actually part of a complete welded unit that bolts to the main frame rails. With the spare tire out of the way, I got a better look at how it is put together. The rails and attachment points appear solid and undamaged, so it looks like the whole unit can be unbolted and a new one bolted in.

The receiver unit looks like it took the brunt of the impact, which is why there was minimal deformation of the rear body structure. All-in-all, it looks like a fairly straightforward repair. All the damaged parts are simple bolt-on replacements. Good job, Honda!

As to diminished value… my insurance specifically excludes compensation for diminished value. I'm pretty sure the other party's insurance is the same, so the only way would be to get a lawyer, etc. We typically keep our vehicles for 12 years and 200K miles, so it probably isn't worth fighting for. As long as the repair is well-done and restores full function, I will be happy.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #19

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
great to hear
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #20

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
That looks painful. We had a similar accident when our 3 week old 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear ended by a pizza delivery guy. We figure he was texting or on his cell phone as we were stopped at a red light. Everything worked out for us. When we bought the Jeep we wanted an integrated hitch, but couldn't get one at the time and we didn't want to wait. We had some camping to do. We had a regular hitch installed to tow our 24 ft Zinger. The accident bent this hitch out of alignment and the exhaust pipe too. The pizza delivery car was a total right off and was buried under our rear end. When I went to have the Jeep damage appraised I told them we needed it to tow our trailer and wanted the repairs to be flawless. When we took it to the repair shop we found that we could now get an integrated hitch installed and paid the difference not covered by our insurance. We are very happy with the repairs and have been happily towing for the past 4 years. No worries and no problems at all. I wish you all the best and hope you have peace of mind when all the work is done.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #21

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Douglas View Post
That looks painful. We had a similar accident when our 3 week old 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear ended by a pizza delivery guy. We figure he was texting or on his cell phone as we were stopped at a red light. Everything worked out for us. When we bought the Jeep we wanted an integrated hitch, but couldn't get one at the time and we didn't want to wait. We had some camping to do. We had a regular hitch installed to tow our 24 ft Zinger. The accident bent this hitch out of alignment and the exhaust pipe too. The pizza delivery car was a total right off and was buried under our rear end. When I went to have the Jeep damage appraised I told them we needed it to tow our trailer and wanted the repairs to be flawless. When we took it to the repair shop we found that we could now get an integrated hitch installed and paid the difference not covered by our insurance. We are very happy with the repairs and have been happily towing for the past 4 years. No worries and no problems at all. I wish you all the best and hope you have peace of mind when all the work is done.
Must have been very discouraging to have that happen to your brand-new vehicle! I recall some years of the Jeep Grand Cherokee actually added a receiver to better protect the gas tank in a rear collision. Glad to hear your repair worked out well, and I am hoping for the same. I am pleased with the way the Honda receiver protected the rear structure of the vehicle. Thanks for the encouraging words!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
... I asked for OEM parts. He said that was up to the insurance co. Basically he worked for them not me. ... That may be why some need the lawyer. Its nice to have someone that is looking out for you ....
Raz

Eggs-actly!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/aut...investigation/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-fa...-big-in-court/
etc.

BTW, less than two hours ago, about fives miles from my house, a child in a car seat was killed when the car he was a passenger was read-ended on the interstate. At the risk of repeating myself, I have no tolerance for reckless drivers.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Just to set the record straight… The driver of the truck that hit me was an elderly woman, and she was not speeding, tailgating, using her phone, or anything else that would be deemed "reckless." This was a 55 mph zone and the line of traffic had to stop without warning because a vehicle three cars ahead of me braked suddenly to turn left without signaling in advance. I had to brake pretty hard myself. I'd say this was a matter of not being able to see what was happening in front of me (they were all small compact sedans and hidden by my taller SUV) and somewhat slower reflexes. An unfortunate accident for which she will likely be held responsible, but nothing more.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #24
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Any advice as I prepare to deal with insurance and repair shops?
No need to set the record strait. You asked for advice and folks tried to help. Raz
Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just to set the record straight… The driver of the truck that hit me was an elderly woman, and she was not speeding, tailgating, using her phone, or anything else that would be deemed "reckless." ..
While she may have been a good, careful driver and the accident might have been (almost) unavoidable, one could argue that she was following too close which is a mild form of recklessness.

Every state is different so I can only relate it to my state. NC General Statute 20-141(m) states:
The fact that the speed of a vehicle is lower than the foregoing limits shall not relieve the operator of a vehicle from the duty to decrease speed as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway, and to avoid injury to any person or property.

So, one can be well under the speed limit, and at a safe distance, but if you don't decrease speed to avoid a collision, there is a criminal violation and civil liability.

A sudden stop by one driver surprises the driver behind him, and because of the delay in human reaction time, that effect is magnified with succeeding drivers and often leads to a collision, and often a chain reaction involving multiple vehicles. That is why one should leave more following distance than most people do.

Edit: I guess I sound hard edged right now... I blame it on the fact that the local news is talking about the wreck near me where the child was killed.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Raz

Vermont
Gordon, while you and I may be on the same page, I think you will agree Jon may take or reject any advice as he sees fit with no need to explain. That's the beauty of a forum. You can ask questions and then do what you want. Raz
Old 01-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Hitch

I have worked in the repair and insurance field for many years.when it comes to the hitch it must be replaced .As it is week and no longer safe to use .as for the rest ask for oem parts . If your unit is a total loss do not take black book or any book prices because they are dealer wholesale prices not real world prices , ask to see an auto source valuation they are more realistic Glad to hear your on the mend. Happy Trails Mike
Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Damage tow unit

I have worked in the repair and insurance field for many years.when it comes to the hitch it must be replaced .As it is week and no longer safe to use .as for the rest ask for oem parts . If your unit is a total loss do not take black book or any book prices because they are dealer wholesale prices not real world prices , ask to see an auto source valuation they are more realistic Glad to hear your on the mend. Happy Trails Mike