Collision Damage to Factory Receiver - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Douglas View Post
That looks painful. We had a similar accident when our 3 week old 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear ended by a pizza delivery guy. We figure he was texting or on his cell phone as we were stopped at a red light. Everything worked out for us. When we bought the Jeep we wanted an integrated hitch, but couldn't get one at the time and we didn't want to wait. We had some camping to do. We had a regular hitch installed to tow our 24 ft Zinger. The accident bent this hitch out of alignment and the exhaust pipe too. The pizza delivery car was a total right off and was buried under our rear end. When I went to have the Jeep damage appraised I told them we needed it to tow our trailer and wanted the repairs to be flawless. When we took it to the repair shop we found that we could now get an integrated hitch installed and paid the difference not covered by our insurance. We are very happy with the repairs and have been happily towing for the past 4 years. No worries and no problems at all. I wish you all the best and hope you have peace of mind when all the work is done.
Must have been very discouraging to have that happen to your brand-new vehicle! I recall some years of the Jeep Grand Cherokee actually added a receiver to better protect the gas tank in a rear collision. Glad to hear your repair worked out well, and I am hoping for the same. I am pleased with the way the Honda receiver protected the rear structure of the vehicle. Thanks for the encouraging words!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
... I asked for OEM parts. He said that was up to the insurance co. Basically he worked for them not me. ... That may be why some need the lawyer. Its nice to have someone that is looking out for you ....
Raz

Eggs-actly!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/aut...investigation/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-fa...-big-in-court/
etc.

BTW, less than two hours ago, about fives miles from my house, a child in a car seat was killed when the car he was a passenger was read-ended on the interstate. At the risk of repeating myself, I have no tolerance for reckless drivers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Just to set the record straight… The driver of the truck that hit me was an elderly woman, and she was not speeding, tailgating, using her phone, or anything else that would be deemed "reckless." This was a 55 mph zone and the line of traffic had to stop without warning because a vehicle three cars ahead of me braked suddenly to turn left without signaling in advance. I had to brake pretty hard myself. I'd say this was a matter of not being able to see what was happening in front of me (they were all small compact sedans and hidden by my taller SUV) and somewhat slower reflexes. An unfortunate accident for which she will likely be held responsible, but nothing more.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Any advice as I prepare to deal with insurance and repair shops?
No need to set the record strait. You asked for advice and folks tried to help. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Just to set the record straight… The driver of the truck that hit me was an elderly woman, and she was not speeding, tailgating, using her phone, or anything else that would be deemed "reckless." ..
While she may have been a good, careful driver and the accident might have been (almost) unavoidable, one could argue that she was following too close which is a mild form of recklessness.

Every state is different so I can only relate it to my state. NC General Statute 20-141(m) states:
The fact that the speed of a vehicle is lower than the foregoing limits shall not relieve the operator of a vehicle from the duty to decrease speed as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway, and to avoid injury to any person or property.

So, one can be well under the speed limit, and at a safe distance, but if you don't decrease speed to avoid a collision, there is a criminal violation and civil liability.

A sudden stop by one driver surprises the driver behind him, and because of the delay in human reaction time, that effect is magnified with succeeding drivers and often leads to a collision, and often a chain reaction involving multiple vehicles. That is why one should leave more following distance than most people do.

Edit: I guess I sound hard edged right now... I blame it on the fact that the local news is talking about the wreck near me where the child was killed.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Gordon, while you and I may be on the same page, I think you will agree Jon may take or reject any advice as he sees fit with no need to explain. That's the beauty of a forum. You can ask questions and then do what you want. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Hitch

I have worked in the repair and insurance field for many years.when it comes to the hitch it must be replaced .As it is week and no longer safe to use .as for the rest ask for oem parts . If your unit is a total loss do not take black book or any book prices because they are dealer wholesale prices not real world prices , ask to see an auto source valuation they are more realistic Glad to hear your on the mend. Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Damage tow unit

I have worked in the repair and insurance field for many years.when it comes to the hitch it must be replaced .As it is week and no longer safe to use .as for the rest ask for oem parts . If your unit is a total loss do not take black book or any book prices because they are dealer wholesale prices not real world prices , ask to see an auto source valuation they are more realistic Glad to hear your on the mend. Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #29

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Gordon, while you and I may be on the same page, I think you will agree Jon may take or reject any advice as he sees fit with no need to explain. That's the beauty of a forum. You can ask questions and then do what you want. Raz
Raz and Gordon, I have enough respect for your wisdom to go back and re-read all that you said. Unless I missed something, your advice was:
  1. Get medical treatment because problems can surface later and continue for years. That advice I am taking. I waived transport at the scene because that would take me into the Indian Health Service system. Nothing wrong with the doctors (in fact I found out later that a good friend was the ER doc on duty that evening). But I got burned years ago by the slow bureaucratic working of their billing practices. Never again unless it is a life or death emergency. I will be seeing my own doctor on Monday. I spoke with my friend the ER doc, and that was his advice.
  2. Insist that the vehicle be totaled out and replaced. I am willing to do that, but only if it is really necessary. I do not have the resources to replace it with a brand new vehicle, so I would be replacing it with one of similar age and miles. Frankly, I'd prefer to keep a vehicle whose history I know than one I don't. And in any case, it took me 3-4 months to find this one. It was exactly what I wanted, and I'd really like to keep it. Based on my careful inspection of the damage, I am fairly hopeful that full function can be restored without any cutting, bending, or welding of the vehicle's structure. The shop is a competent one and will measure the frame carefully. I should find out more by Tuesday or Wednesday.
  3. Get a lawyer and sue. That may be where we part ways. Lawyers have their place in cases where there is gross, willful, reckless endangerment and/or serious, life-altering injury or death. This situation does not rise to either standard, and a lawsuit would damage my reputation in this small community. The driver of the vehicle is a grandmother of integrity and standing, and many of her family are acquaintances.

I really posted because I wanted advice about repairing the hitch receiver. I had thought it was welded in place, but I found out now that it is a bolt-on unit. With the spare tire and part of the exhaust system knocked out of the way, I was able to see the whole thing more clearly. It is definitely damaged, and I will certainly take Mike's advice and make sure the whole thing is replaced with an OEM unit.

Again, I do appreciate all your input. Even the parts I choose to ignore.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:

Again, I do appreciate all your input. Even the parts I choose to ignore.
What a pleasant and evolved response you posted!

BTW, just to set the record straight, it was never my intention to tell you what you should do, but only to relate some of my experience that might (or might not) be applicable to your situation. In fact, I specially said, "I'm not saying that you or anyone else should be so obstinate in a case like this..."

As for my injury, I think that seeing a doctor after the wreck made no difference. The damage was done.

I could continue to make an argument against keeping a car that was in a collision, but if you really like it and plan to keep it "forever" then that's a fine option also. It just not what I would do.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #31

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Glad to hear that you are okay! That's not a great way to spend and evening. Hoping that you are able to get the repairs made to your satisfaction and that it's an easy process!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #32

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
You might want to see a chiropractor too. I have been rear- ended twice and got bad whiplash both times. It often doesn't show up till later and gets worse over time. A medical doc prescribed muscle relaxers, tranquilizers and possible surgery later. The chiropractor fixed it. If I had left it, I would have probably ended up with vertebral spurs and bulging disks later.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I also was rear ended I was driving a ford 250 ( no damage) the guy that hit me was driving a brand new lexus ( totaled) ... He originally claimed full responsibility until he saw that my vehicle was owned by the power company ( he immediately saw deep pockets & changed his story) i had to block him in from trying to leave yo make out accident report
Bottomline is that the whiplash i began to experience started about 10 days after i was hit.... Most definitely
See a doctor and document everything
Best if luck
Oh by the way mine only resulted in two back surgeries

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The best of driver's make mistakes, many times not even knowing that someone else avoided a collision by compensating for them...
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ouch! Sorry to hear Jon. Hopefully you are OK thats the important stuff - vehicles can be replaced &/or fixed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ouch! Sorry to hear Jon. Hopefully you are OK thats the important stuff - vehicles can be replaced &/or fixed.
Thank you, Carol. Still waiting for repairs to be completed, and still intermittent minor pain, but the doctor says it's normal and will pass, no major damage. It's got me exercising regularly again, and that's good. As I said at the beginning, much to be thankful for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The best of driver's make mistakes, many times not even knowing that someone else avoided a collision by compensating for them...
Floyd, you are so right!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #37

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Jon, so sorry to see the damage, but glad to hear YOU are OK, and that there were no children in the car with you this time.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Jon, so sorry to see the damage, but glad to hear YOU are OK, and that there were no children in the car with you this time.
There was another side story I didn't share earlier. Saturday after the accident my wife was headed to a meeting three hours away on the Navajo Nation (including some narrow, shoulderless, potholed secondary roads). I tagged along to pick up a rental on the way out of town. At the last moment we decided to have her drive the rental and I took her car. I discovered her front tire had a screw in it and was dangerously low on air (no TPS). Except for the accident, she would have been driving on that tire.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #39

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but I would never tow in that vehicle again. Given that the receiver is welded to the frame, and it is obviously bent, I would be very surprised if your Pilot is not a write off.
+1
I wouldn't trust it for towing after that kind of damage either.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Why not, Greg? I am towing at about half its rated capacity, and the repair is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle to perform to original specs.

And what choice do I really have? My wife's CRV is our older vehicle, and next on the list for replacement. I could only replace this one with whatever I could sell it for, at 78K miles and an accident on the Carfax.

I am going to look at the repair-in-progress today before they put it back together.