Common Tire Size Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
Common Tire Size Question

I am preparing to replace the original suspension on my U-Haul CT-13 and I could really use some help with selecting a new tire size.

It looks like there is enough room to use 14" rims instead of the original 13" rims. For me, tires are about the most mysterious and confusing parts of our trailers. (Even more so than the electrical systems!)

Are there any tire sizes that are more common than others? If possible I want to use a common size for the obvious reasons of replacing tires when far away from big cities.

I have found some resources that shows how to calculate the sizes based on the size designation so calculating overall tire dimensions and wheel well clearances should be straight forward. I just do not know what the more common sizes are.

(I have some experience with an odd tire size when I bought a 1988 Taurus with the “sport” suspension. It handled very nicely but I found out that the tire size was made by only two manufacturers and was not frequently stocked by tire shops. The potential for having a damaged tire and being marooned for days before a new tire could be located made traveling uncomfortable.)

Any thoughts and experiences are most welcomed.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
One factor to take into account is the wheel packaging. When I was making hub adapters for brakes on my CT13, I came to realize that UHaul very tightly packaged the wheel and tire between the frame rail and the fiberglass wheel lip. One trick was to use a weird, high offset wheel.

So, when you are making your measurements for the new axle, you will need to place the center of the new tire in the same vertical plane as the old tire. Your challenge may be tire width, not diameter

This would also be a great opportunity to add electric brakes.

For common sizes, just search for trailer tires on the internet - the common ones pop out. http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...heel-tire.aspx
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul
Thanks Thomas. As you have seen my next thread concerns brakes.
Craig D. Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote