Compact Crossover Reviews (2013/14) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Compact Crossover Reviews (2013/14)

Seems this size of utility vehicle is very popular for towing eggs with many folks on this forum.

Found this review very informative. The CX5 in looking good to me. I know how well the Mazda's handle and drive. What do you think?

2013-2014 Compact Crossover Shootout » AutoGuide.com News

If you scroll down the page at the link you will come to a video of all the tests. You may have to view a short GM commercial 1st.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't see any indication at the link that towing considerations -or even load capacity- were included in the evaluations...did I miss something?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Seems like I had read that the CX5 had a 2000 lb. rated tow capacity, but it's been a few months since I looked it up.....

I don't think they ever did make the diesel option available in USA.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where did you find evaluations?? I saw a bunch of pictures.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where did you find evaluations?? I saw a bunch of pictures.
You have to click through the pictures- each one has the "review" printed beneath.
Here's the page for the "8th place" vehicle.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #6

Well, that was a waste of my time.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
MC1

Ontario
Sorry folks. If you scroll down the page at the link you will come to a video of all the tests. You may have to view a short GM commercial 1st.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I don't see any indication at the link that towing considerations -or even load capacity- were included in the evaluations...did I miss something?
Francesca..... where have you been lately? We've missed you.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Francesca..... where have you been lately? We've missed you.
I've been here, just not posting much.

I heard there's some sort of New Rule that we know-it-all types have to retire from the Public Eye after 5,000 posts here and I'm tryin' to make every one of the thousand or so I have left count.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hey FK. I thought you were a bit scarce. No towcap and propane links?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I've been here, just not posting much.

I heard there's some sort of New Rule that we know-it-all types have to retire from the Public Eye after 5,000 posts here and I'm tryin' to make every one of the thousand or so I have left count.

Glenn if you wish to get to the bottom line of the it all go to the Categorical Breakdown of it.

Not surprised the Subaru Forest took top spot but as they have dropped its tow capacity down to only 1500lbs for 2014 it sadly isnt going to be towing much of anything.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

Thank you. But, can't be bothered. RAV4 is also down to 1500 lbs. I doubt any of the SUVs tested can tow much of anything.
I've got 65,000 kilometers on this RAV4 so, I hope not to be in the market for some time to come.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Glenn if you wish to get to the bottom line of the it all go to the Categorical Breakdown of it.
Thnxs Carol, that puts the icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not surprised the Subaru Forest took top spot but as they have dropped its tow capacity down to only 1500lbs for 2014 it sadly isnt going to be towing much of anything.
There is a lot a talk on the other forums. Most are thinking it may be a typo. 1500 "kilograms" is probably the correct number.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
There is a lot a talk on the other forums. Most are thinking it may be a typo. 1500 "kilograms" is probably the correct number.
LOL no surprise but pretty sure the Subaru.com clearly states LBS not to mention that Subaru.ca is in KG's but it only reads 680 kgs which the last time I checked equals 1499.14 lbs.

Here's "my" theory based on auto press I have read over the past year as to why Subaru along with many other auto makers dropped the towing capacity on some of their vehicles. They all originally agreed to using the same standard test for coming up with towing capacity which was if I am not mistaken to have kicked in with the 2014 model year. Then a couple of the BIG boys pulled out of the deal, so they all pulled out. But in the meantime all of them had been doing the testing in preparation and got a rude awaking as to what some of their vehicles were not up to towing using the new tow testing standard.... my theory is also that many of them are continuing to use the test as their guideline as they know the day will come when either they all agree to do it as they did previously or they will be legislated into having to do it. As I said thats just my theory.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's probably still capable of towing 2400 but if it isn't rated for it, I wouldn't buy it for towing. They aren't the first vehicle in this class to drop tow capacity- a bad trend for those of us with small trailers who can't afford to keep an extra vehicle just for towing (though someday I think that's what I'll be doing- a pickup for towing and a small hybrid for everything else...just not yet.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #16

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Maybe the legislation will force many of us into larger tow vehicles than we would like to drive. Some folks don't like to exceed ratings due to legal liability issues and would be stuck with larger more expensive vehicles. In the past the ratings could be used as a guide, and the aftermarket parts business supplied us with a cornucopia of parts to beef up suspension, brakes, cooling, power, tires, etc. We would modify vehicles to make them work for our purposes. Now with all the lawyers instigating litigation for every infraction of law or lapse in perfect judgment, we have to be paranoid of how we do things. Many are afraid to modify, and will have to go with the vehicles the legislators say are worthy.
It will be interesting to see how this evolves, and what choices we will be left with.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #17

Registry
Well the way gas milage is improving on many vehicles/trucks its getting to be a bit of a mute point. I have a new truck thats only about 3/4 of the way through its first tank of gas and so far its city milage is about the same as what my 6 year old Outback gets.

We could of course just solve the whole issue and do it the way they do it in Europe ;-) The *Legal* towing capacity is what ever the vehicle manufacture states the towing capacity to be. Thats what the authorities check and use. The hitches are also only rated to what ever the car manufacture states the vehicles towing capacity to be & its usually marked on the hitch if I am not mistaken. They dont have the same system of classing hitches as we have in NA so its not possible to put a hitch on the vehicle as it is here that is rated higher than what the vehicle manufactures towing capacity states it to be.