Comparing Tow Vehicles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
This is Pittsburgh. While we have usual winter ice and moderate snow we have car eating pot holes. And at the mere mention of possible snow or ice in the forecast, the road crews are out pouring vehicle destroying chemicals on the roadways so people can continue to drive 70 miles per hour in a snow storm.
Sorry to tell you Bill but we have pretty well the same situation here in most of BC outside of the lower mainland (Vancouver area). 4' to 20' snow banks are a pretty well a main stay of winter in a good part of the province.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #16

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
You must be special
Hi: Bill in Pittsburgh... Hello from the "Rust Belt of Canada". I use an annual coat of Krown undercoating spray to keep my vehicles looking new longer. The money spent is well worth it and putting up with the oozing drippy nature of the stuff isn't so bad... kinda like black streaks on a fiberglass trailer.
I went with a 4X4 tow truck when replacing ours as it was just easier to find a 4X4 year end clearance truck on a dealers lot without a tow pkg. I didn't need the trailer hitch as we have a 5th. wh. trailer.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Also have been using Crown/Rustcheck for decades now. Buy it in bulk and spray it on myself on our vehicles and trailer frame. It works.

PS.... my buddy a GM engineer dosen't get it. The just scrapped a perfectly good 10 year old top of the line Buick because the est. of replacing all the rusted/leaking brake lines was over $3,000.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Also have been using Crown/Rustcheck for decades now. Buy it in bulk and spray it on myself on our vehicles and trailer frame. It works.

PS.... my buddy a GM engineer dosen't get it. The just scrapped a perfectly good 10 year old top of the line Buick because the est. of replacing all the rusted/leaking brake lines was over $3,000.
GEEESH! somebody's getting ripped off for $50 worth of brake lines!
They must have priced them at my son's Toyota dealer which just this week wanted $600 to change a knock sensor plus $130 just to pull the codes. The sensor itself was $197 for his 2008 Scion XB... A part which costs $13 for a Jeep.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Yes a crazy price but the est. came from the reputable CAA garage. Apparently gas tank and a bunch or other nasty obstacles needed to be removed.
My sis had one gas line replaced on her H2. Gas tank was also removed to do the job. Cost was over $2,000.

Times have changed. Many auto repairs have become very expensive.

That's why many of us are into DIY, PM and rust prevention.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
It is almost always cheaper to fix whatcha got than replace - esp if buying new.

I never buy new for two reasons -

1) that new car smell is the off-gassing of many carcinogenic materials and I am already a cancer survivor

2) who can afford to buy new?

Going to the $tealership for repairs (after warranty is up) is about the only thing I can think of that is dumber than buying new.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have never bought new, but I am quite thankful that someone does.

I must also add, that if I were going out to buy a Japanese vehicle today, I would probably by new. Not because I lost my mind, but because a very clean, low mileage, 5 or 6 year old Toyota cost almost as much as a new one. By the time the price on a used model comes below the stratosphere, it is almost worn out.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I have never bought new, but I am quite thankful that someone does.

I must also add, that if I were going out to buy a Japanese vehicle today, I would probably by new. Not because I lost my mind, but because a very clean, low mileage, 5 or 6 year old Toyota cost almost as much as a new one. By the time the price on a used model comes below the stratosphere, it is almost worn out.
Up until now I have commonly bought new because I tend to want vehicles which can't be found used, and also have entry level content,which makes them cheaper than the three year old vehicles that have content which I don't want.My 2008 Escape was bought new at year end for under 15K.
I will probably not buy new again though,because of mandated content which negatively affects safety and driveability and also because of unnecessary complexity which intentionally increases the cost and difficulty of service.
My next "new" car will likely be a custom modified older car.... Maybe a Falcon or a Fairmont. (That is after my Pinto is back on the street)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now you are talking!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #24

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Now you are talking!!!!
Hi: Bill in Pittsburgh... Seems you can get Floyd out of his Ford...but you can't get Ford out of Floyd. I think Pintos, Falcons, and Fairmonts were all made in ,the now closed, St. Thomas Assembly plant. Rust In Piece
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Bill in Pittsburgh... Seems you can get Floyd out of his Ford...but you can't get Ford out of Floyd. I think Pintos, Falcons, and Fairmonts were all made in ,the now closed, St. Thomas Assembly plant. Rust In Piece
Actually my Pinto was made in the venerable Metuchen NJ assembly plant, also once home of the Mustang. Those were the "Glory Days"
I wonder if that's how Springsteen "The Boss" got his nickname?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I loved my 1970 Ford Pinto! It was the first car I bought brand new, and paid some where around $2,300 for it (and for a gal making $1.75 an hour that was ALOT) it was the USA hatchback model and I stained the WHITE seats wearing new 501 Levi's... those seats were permanently BLUE.. fun, cool car. So what if everyone said it was a barbeque that seats four... I loved that car!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
I too had a 1970 Pinto. It was a lot more fun to drive once I upgraded the suspension, installed a 15" tire and wheel pkg, and installed a 302 V8/4M.

Also had a 70 Boss I found in a farmers field. It cost me $350. in 1976.
Attached Thumbnails
pinto2.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I doubt ANY Pinto, no matter what the tire size would pull an all molded fiberglass towable... the track AND wheelbase was to short! Anybody care to try pulling over the Teton's? Be sure to post back with your MPG...

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote