Completely new to towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookernoe View Post
One note of caution on searching for these campers, particularly Casitas. Used ones are hard to find, but one will come to you eventually. Meanwhile, it is really incredible how many scam ads there are on Craigslist. In virtually every town there is someone posting them at unrealistic prices to try and catch the unaware. I eventually arrived at filtering out low prices to make it easier to find the real ones.
Can't tell people enough not to send money for a trailer they have not seen. Some do and are lucky and some do and are not.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #22

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I found my greatest peace in realizing the extraordinary resale value of these trailers. If you buy a good one (and most are) then you can get back out of it. That makes a low price little more than red flag to me when shopping. When I told searchtempest.com to filter out all below 7,000 my search got a lot easier. On related note, I searched high and low for a Casita Liberty Deluxe for about three months. Every time I saw one within travel distance, it was gone in hours. Then there was the 'desperate' guy in San Antonio who was asking 3000 below the market price. I just about took off to get it when THREE hit the market within 100 miles of me. Patience pays well when looking for a quality trailer. This forum, BTW, gave me the most quality leads, but ultimately it was a Craigslist buy that worked out.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi all,

I am completely new to towing. I've never towed anything before.

I am thinking of moving into an RV trailer temporarily, until I find a new house (I'm selling my house, and I also don't know exactly where I'm going to live--would like to live in drier climate).

Exactly how dangerous is towing? Does it take a lot of work, and do you need a lot of strength? How difficult is it to hitch and unhitch?

I would be towing either a camplite, or a light weight molded fiberglass trailer like Scamp, hopefully no bigger than 17'. I wouldn't mind smaller, but most of the companies I'm looking at right now that are in my region don't make smaller than 17'.

I wouldn't just stay in one location; I'd be traveling around.

I'm just wondering: Is it hard to connect the vehicle to the trailer? Where do you park if you're on the way somewhere, and you just need to go to the store, or, more importantly, the bathroom? The last question is the most important, really.

The fiberglass models I'm looking at don't come as truck campers.

Some examples of what I'm looking at include: Scamp, Casita, Eggcamper, Oliver, etc.

I'm looking at those particular models because of health reasons, mainly mold and chemicals.

I've looked at Camplite, but the new 2016 model makes a rubber roof, and that's not good if you are as highly sensitive to mold as I am.

Plus, I've heard that Camplite leaks.

What about backing up and making left or right turns?

How do I avoid fishtailing?

so back to my original question: Is it at all realistic for me to tow and travel around the country? Or should I just give up and buy a truck camper?

Thanks, Margaret

Margaret my suggestion if you have the time is to read the daily posts here. You will learn a tremendous amount from these discussions. I typically read these posts with my iPhone Plus which has my email on it. When I see a post that is important about campers/mechanics/ travel spots, I save the thread in a spears folder for each category so that I can refer back for something I need or an interested in. You also need to see the campers in person, that way you will learn about the space you are most comfortable in, and you will learn to judge the quality of construction/finishing work.

One thought, you seem to want to 'try it out' while looking for your home. Most people here are very serious about what they are doing. It's an expensive 'try out', so put in the time and decide if you are serious and are looking for an adventure. It's not getting a mani/ pedi, out to lunch and buying some shoes. Best wishes!! Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Hi Jon, Good response--a little intimidating, but helpful!!...
LOL… afraid I gave in to the temptation to add "just one more thing." Please don't be intimidated. You can do this. Best thing is what many have said: find some real (not virtual) people to guide you.

Quote:
...And I think that I need a stronger vehicle, like a truck, I guess?
Not necessarily a truck. You are considering a Parkliner. Loaded for travel it will likely weigh well under 3000 pounds, so a vehicle rated to tow 3500 pounds would be fine. That gives you plenty of options, including minivans and quite a few mid-sized crossover SUVs, as well as trucks.

One of the advantages of a smaller trailer is you have more choices.

17' is somewhat of a tipping point, since 17' trailers commonly weigh over 3000 pounds and have tongue weights at or above 350 pounds. It's also the point at which you may have to consider using a weight distributing hitch.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookernoe View Post
A Ford F150 would pull an egg camper as if it weren't there. It's very versatile for other tasks, though maybe a little less comfortable on longer drives. Tougher in parking lots. I love my Pilot, and it is doing a great job.

I agree that the Pilot (or any midsize vehicle) would be easier to maneuver in a parking lot than an F150. But it's definitely not less comfortable on longer drives. My F150 ride is posh compared to my SUV, and is far MORE comfortable on longer drives. Quieter too. This is not your daddy's F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #26

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Yes, we have a WDH and the ball mount is adjustable. Of course, many use WDHs with small fiberglass trailers and no telling if this person will need one. If not, yes, that would be much less weight to have to manage. I didn't think to say that until later so thanks for pointing it out.
Oh boy, I'm going to have to read up on all this stuff.

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There are a number of good videos on youtube that will give you tips about how to tow. But you no doubt could also find yourself a local mentor right in your neighborhood if you put the word out.
Yes, youtube is good for everything, from knitting to towing!

Margaret
Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sounds like you are using a weight distributing hitch (WDH). The drawbar on my regular weight carrying hitch weighs under ten pounds. Generally 16' and under does not require a WDH; 17' and over may or may not, depending on the trailer and vehicle. A WDH is heavier and takes a few more steps to hitch up. Used correctly, it does add stability to the towing set-up.

Weight distributing hitch
Attachment 95007

Weight carrying hitch
Attachment 95006

Agree that having a small trailer is fun!
The second one looks a lot easier! Am I right? Is it just as safe?

Margaret
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The second one looks a lot easier! Am I right? Is it just as safe?

Margaret
That depends of the size of trailer you purchase..... pretty well anything 19' or longer will tow better/safer with a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH).

Some folks use them on 16' & 17' trailers as well if they are towing with a fairly light tow vehicle. Trailer causes the rear of the vehicle to drop to much causing the front of the car to rise up which will impact handling of the vehicle in a negative fashion. Not to mention make the headlights point skywards.

There are all sorts of types of WDH (again it will depend on what the trailer weighs you pick) some are a bit harder than others to connect up. Some do not require a separate anti sway bar as the anti sway system is built in. But once you have hitched up a few times its not a big thing regardless of the style used. . Some systems are lighter than others. The heaviest part of any WDH system is the Ball mount Receiver but you can put that on the vehicle and leave it on. The bars that attach each time you hook up, depending on which style/type of WDH can be on the heavy as well but I have no trouble man handling them one at a time, even though mine are very old school heavy type .... I am currently in the market for a new system with a bit lighter easier install bars.

As far as what tool you can purchase to make hook ups easy - in my books the #1 tool to own is a Back Up Camera. Especially if you hook up the trailer on your own. Once you have a back up camera you will never want to be without one again.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I agree that the Pilot (or any midsize vehicle) would be easier to maneuver in a parking lot than an F150. But it's definitely not less comfortable on longer drives. My F150 ride is posh compared to my SUV, and is far MORE comfortable on longer drives. Quieter too. This is not your daddy's F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
+1,000,000 We tow our 17 foot Casita with a 2010 F150 Lariat (supercab). Very comfortable! And realize the small trailers have very limited storage. We find our F150, with a ARE TW camper top, provides us ample space for everything.

I have towed with a variety of vehicles, some undersized capacity wise, some marginal, and some with extra. Its a lot easier going up AND down mountains and large climbs with extra to spare. One reason we ended up with the Casita and not something bigger is I wanted to have something that my F150 could tow with ease.

We leave our SUV home when we are camping. The F150 is much more comfortable for us, and the dog too!

We are currently wrapping up our three week western USA trip.

If you want to learn about towing capacity of vehicles, google PAYLOAD capacity. Many tow vehicles, including my F150 run out of payload capacity long before they run out of "towing" capacity. Some ignore such limits, you decide.

If you are looking for a used trailer in NC, you are not going to find an Escape or an Oliver either. You are most likely going to see Scamp and Casita, and those tend to sell fast too, really fast.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Start reading through the posts in this group, sounds like you are at the beginning of your learning curve Go find a few fiberglass rallies and visit the trailers. Learn about towing weights and tow vehicle requirements on line. Do your homework by searching and exploring this group, on you tube, and in the other RV forums as well.
Many many ladies (such as me) camp alone, which includes towing, backing up, hooking up, setting up camp, etc. It is as hard to do as you decide it is. The key is to just take it slow and learn how to do it, then go and enjoy yourself. Don't focus on how hard or dangerous it 'might' be. Focus on how empowering and fun it WILL be.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You only have two options. Either you learn how to tow and operate
a trailer on your own or you limit your travels based on someone else's schedule. Modern trucks though larger than many cars are not difficult to drive , have all the features of a luxury car ,have a comfortable ride , increased towing capacity , and the room to haul
extra cargo. Towing is not that difficult , even men have mastered the art of towing. Have at it , if you make some mistakes in the beginning so what. If you learned how to drive , you can learn how to tow. It's not that hard to do!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...even men have mastered the art of towing...
LOL!!!

And, no doubt, without stopping to ask for directions!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
LOL!!!

And, no doubt, without stopping to ask for directions!

Or a Woman to double check their work!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote