Completely new to towing - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #29
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
The second one looks a lot easier! Am I right? Is it just as safe?

That depends of the size of trailer you purchase..... pretty well anything 19' or longer will tow better/safer with a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH).

Some folks use them on 16' & 17' trailers as well if they are towing with a fairly light tow vehicle. Trailer causes the rear of the vehicle to drop to much causing the front of the car to rise up which will impact handling of the vehicle in a negative fashion. Not to mention make the headlights point skywards.

There are all sorts of types of WDH (again it will depend on what the trailer weighs you pick) some are a bit harder than others to connect up. Some do not require a separate anti sway bar as the anti sway system is built in. But once you have hitched up a few times its not a big thing regardless of the style used. . Some systems are lighter than others. The heaviest part of any WDH system is the Ball mount Receiver but you can put that on the vehicle and leave it on. The bars that attach each time you hook up, depending on which style/type of WDH can be on the heavy as well but I have no trouble man handling them one at a time, even though mine are very old school heavy type .... I am currently in the market for a new system with a bit lighter easier install bars.

As far as what tool you can purchase to make hook ups easy - in my books the #1 tool to own is a Back Up Camera. Especially if you hook up the trailer on your own. Once you have a back up camera you will never want to be without one again.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #30
Name: bill
Trailer: 1996 Casita LD
North Carolina
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I agree that the Pilot (or any midsize vehicle) would be easier to maneuver in a parking lot than an F150. But it's definitely not less comfortable on longer drives. My F150 ride is posh compared to my SUV, and is far MORE comfortable on longer drives. Quieter too. This is not your daddy's F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
+1,000,000 We tow our 17 foot Casita with a 2010 F150 Lariat (supercab). Very comfortable! And realize the small trailers have very limited storage. We find our F150, with a ARE TW camper top, provides us ample space for everything.

I have towed with a variety of vehicles, some undersized capacity wise, some marginal, and some with extra. Its a lot easier going up AND down mountains and large climbs with extra to spare. One reason we ended up with the Casita and not something bigger is I wanted to have something that my F150 could tow with ease.

We leave our SUV home when we are camping. The F150 is much more comfortable for us, and the dog too!

We are currently wrapping up our three week western USA trip.

If you want to learn about towing capacity of vehicles, google PAYLOAD capacity. Many tow vehicles, including my F150 run out of payload capacity long before they run out of "towing" capacity. Some ignore such limits, you decide.

If you are looking for a used trailer in NC, you are not going to find an Escape or an Oliver either. You are most likely going to see Scamp and Casita, and those tend to sell fast too, really fast.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #31
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Start reading through the posts in this group, sounds like you are at the beginning of your learning curve Go find a few fiberglass rallies and visit the trailers. Learn about towing weights and tow vehicle requirements on line. Do your homework by searching and exploring this group, on you tube, and in the other RV forums as well.
Many many ladies (such as me) camp alone, which includes towing, backing up, hooking up, setting up camp, etc. It is as hard to do as you decide it is. The key is to just take it slow and learn how to do it, then go and enjoy yourself. Don't focus on how hard or dangerous it 'might' be. Focus on how empowering and fun it WILL be.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #32
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
You only have two options. Either you learn how to tow and operate
a trailer on your own or you limit your travels based on someone else's schedule. Modern trucks though larger than many cars are not difficult to drive , have all the features of a luxury car ,have a comfortable ride , increased towing capacity , and the room to haul
extra cargo. Towing is not that difficult , even men have mastered the art of towing. Have at it , if you make some mistakes in the beginning so what. If you learned how to drive , you can learn how to tow. It's not that hard to do!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #33
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...even men have mastered the art of towing...

And, no doubt, without stopping to ask for directions!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #34
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

And, no doubt, without stopping to ask for directions!

Or a Woman to double check their work!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote