Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #155

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
another beetle photo to add to the VW thread. This ones a Turbo beetle in TN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	turbobeetle.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	28426

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #156

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hopefully the car is just parked there, or it's a gag photo. A 16' Casita would be *way* over the limit for a VW bug (I believe it is 1,000 lbs.)

By the way, the OP reported back some months ago - I think she said she bought an Eriba Puck, which is a lightweight, partially aluminum camper with a pop up roof section (I looked at one; they are really neat but make a typical 13-er look huge!).

Raya

Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #157

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool

Quote:
I have towed a 1,200 plus pound teardrop up and down the coast of CA with a Hyundia Elantra, the trailer has no brakes. I have not had any issues with towing and i consistantly drive 65 mph plus on the freeways.
Why are you even stating this? You are WAY under your rated capacity, just add some brakes to that puppy:

"Hyundai Elantra: No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity when trailer brakes are used (without the brakes, it tops out at 1,000 pounds). That's not much by truck standards, but for a budget-priced compact sedan, it's exceptional. Note that this is 1,000 pounds more than full-size sedans like the Cadillac DeVille and Mercury Grand Marquis are rated to carry."

This is from Edmunds! http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...26/article.html

Now there would be a car for eggs!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #158

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Having read that report, I was seriously looking at Hyundai Elantras just for that reason a couple of years ago, but when I looked at the owners manual at the dealers the tow limit was substantially less than what the Edmunds article stated. I think Edmunds may have pulled the UK ratings and transposed them to US ratings.
Too bad, because the Elantra is a nice car.

John

Quote:
Why are you even stating this? You are WAY under your rated capacity, just add some brakes to that puppy:

"Hyundai Elantra: No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity when trailer brakes are used (without the brakes, it tops out at 1,000 pounds). That's not much by truck standards, but for a budget-priced compact sedan, it's exceptional. Note that this is 1,000 pounds more than full-size sedans like the Cadillac DeVille and Mercury Grand Marquis are rated to carry."

This is from Edmunds! http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...26/article.html

Now there would be a car for eggs!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #159

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
I wonder what this toyota manual says for towing being in Canada
Here
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #160

Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Found my way back here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maddy was Last Active 31st March 2010 - 08:39 AM, doubtful she'll see any of the recent comments. But hope she finds her way here again.
Hi Donna et al,

I was checking on the posts now and then, just not jumping in since I opened such a can of worms in the first place. And I have been bogged down with a few other projects that needed attention.

I'm finalizing the purchase of the Puck (1,000 lbs!) - I still need to get it from No. Calif to Virginia. I have posted in several places, this forum and others, looking for someone who is coming back east, from now until Sept 15, who is interested in towing the Puck. I will pay their gas for cross country and they can sleep in the Puck to save on motel expenses.
This deal has taken such a long time and I will be glad when "she" is parked in my driveway, finally!

BTW, re the can of worms about towing. I will be taking as little as possible with me - i intend to ship most things ahead of me. So I will keep the weight down to a minimum. I'm nervous about this (wonder why?) and intend to be extremely careful. I'm not going to be in a hurry. My move has been delayed - life got in the way again - so I will have plenty of time to take little local trips before the move and get used to it. After the move, I'll be using it for short distance trips.

So, all the info was interesting and informative, and now I just have to wrap this deal up once and for all.

Thanks to all.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #161

Virginia
Pics of Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Interior pix:
Cindy,

That looks exactly like the Puck I'm buying. My Puck has the original turquoise cold box, stovetop and sink. Must be the same year or series. Mine is a '71.

The only difference is that one of the previous owners put in a new canvas/mesh piece for the poptop - it's black rather than orange.

And the seller pulls the Puck with a VW "Thing".
Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #162

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I am surprised he is selling. Classic VW owners (I am one.) really go for these. Since he owns a Thing, I am surprised he sold it.
Good luck. Should be a great adventure.

CindyL
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #163

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I am surprised he is selling. Classic VW owners (I am one.) really go for these. Since he owns a Thing, I am surprised he sold it.
Good luck. Should be a great adventure.

CindyL
I'm surprised too, which is why I've been patient with the length of time this deal has taken. I'm still worried about a last minute snafu

I won't relax until it's off his property. Keep your fingers crossed.

Looking for something small enough to tow was actually good, since I didn't know about Pucks until I started researching. I have always gone for something classic or vintage anyway and this fits the bill.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #164

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Maddy the trailer has a max weight mine is 3500 lbs. Trailer plus load. The general opinion is that tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total trailer weight. As stated prior this post it is done by loading of items into trailer.
Class I hitch is 200 lbs. tongue and 2000 lbs. tow.
The only item I would add is a transaxle cooler Mr. transmission has a small progressive cooler that would work well in a newer VW.
Do not know the weight of a 13' Casita bet loaded it is under 2000 lbs.
In the end terryjeffers posts say it all!!
P.S. I pulled 1000 lbs. trailer behind a 4 door echo sedan short halls for 5 years.
echo hitch is a Class I did add sway bar plate though as it is a small car.

Quote: So, I'm just at the beginning of this process. I don't understand the "hitch weight".(tongue weight) I know about the maximum weight I can tow, VW manual says 2,000 (Gross trailer) - but whenever I ask someone at the VW dealer about this, they freak out a little.
Attached Thumbnails
top.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #165

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Did I say we have a Corolla and a boler now?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #166

Virginia
[QUOTE=Borden;232924]Maddy the trailer has a max weight mine is 3500 lbs. Trailer plus load. The general opinion is that tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total trailer weight. As stated prior this post it is done by loading of items into trailer.
Class I hitch is 200 lbs. tongue and 2000 lbs. tow.
The only item I would add is a transaxle cooler Mr. transmission has a small progressive cooler that would work well in a newer VW.
Do not know the weight of a 13' Casita bet loaded it is under 2000 lbs.
In the end terryjeffers posts say it all!!
P.S. I pulled 1000 lbs. trailer behind a 4 door echo sedan short halls for 5 years.
echo hitch is a Class I did add sway bar plate though as it is a small car.

Hi Borden,
Thanks for the info, but I am now the owner of an Eriba Puck. Weight is a little less than 1,000 lbs, so it's within what I should be able to tow. I'm getting a Curt Class I hitch, so I should be OK.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't intend to take much with me - I didn't buy it to use as a shipping vehicle, just make it a more comfortable trip when I finally get to go. But I have some work to do on it and the RE market here keeps stagnating, which is slowing my move.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #167

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
I have emailed a guy (who I thought originally posted here) that tows his egg camper with a VW TDI (diesel) Beetle. The TDI's have a 1.9 engine with a ton of torque. Being a TDI Beetle owner, I really enjoyed seeing his photos.
I'll have to dig through my email and see if I can't find one of the pictures.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #168

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Found the photos... they were on the yahoo scampers forum. I'm attaching his one great photo -- big vs. little:
Attached Thumbnails
bigvslittle.jpg