Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #169

Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl McDonald View Post
Found the photos... they were on the yahoo scampers forum. I'm attaching his one great photo -- big vs. little:
The big guys may have more amenities, but we always look cute!
Actually, I couldn't imagine driving anything that big. I know I'd demolish something, sooner or later.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #170

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Ken C and Sheryl McDonald great pictures and Congratulation to you Maddy

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #171

Virginia
Just had a thought - even though my Puck isn't all fiberglass, it does have a fiberglass top. The whole thing needs to be painted, but I don't know how to handle the fiberglass section. Do you need to use special paint/finish? What should I do to bring it back to a nice finish? If I can't get to the finishing/painting right away, can I wax it to keep rain etc from damaging it? My budget doesn't allow for anything to be done by a professional.

BTW, I have a mulberry tree on the border of my yard and every year (for about 2 weeks) the birds eat the berries and then poop purple all over my yard and anything in it. So, I definitely want to keep the mulberry stains off the top of the Puck. Moving the Puck won't help - the birds leave the purple stuff all over - they even fly sideways and hit the exterior of my house.

So, I was hoping that waxing/? would help to keep it clean or at least help when cleaning it "after the mulberries".
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #172

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Use wax made for fiberglass boats, you can do it by hand yourself.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
Just had a thought - even though my Puck isn't all fiberglass, it does have a fiberglass top. The whole thing needs to be painted, but I don't know how to handle the fiberglass section. Do you need to use special paint/finish? What should I do to bring it back to a nice finish? If I can't get to the finishing/painting right away, can I wax it to keep rain etc from damaging it? My budget doesn't allow for anything to be done by a professional.

BTW, I have a mulberry tree on the border of my yard and every year (for about 2 weeks) the birds eat the berries and then poop purple all over my yard and anything in it. So, I definitely want to keep the mulberry stains off the top of the Puck. Moving the Puck won't help - the birds leave the purple stuff all over - they even fly sideways and hit the exterior of my house.

So, I was hoping that waxing/? would help to keep it clean or at least help when cleaning it "after the mulberries".
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #173

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Use wax made for fiberglass boats, you can do it by hand yourself.

Bill K

Thanks Bill - how about paint, I would assume it's also the same as for boats? It does need painting also, depends on how much energy I have as to when it gets done.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #174

Ontario
Registry
I want to thank all that have helped me learn more about towing at Fiberglass Rv. In know I have pushed it at times. Toyota will not rate and echo sedan but they make a class I hitch for it? Dealer said just keep rig at 1000 lbs. or less. Well wind affects the echo with no trailer. The surprise was that it was actually better with trailer. Maybe tongue weight? Did have a sway bar and do believe I should have had trailer brakes and transaxle cooler now.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #175

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Yes they also make paint for fiberglass.

Bill K

Quote:
Thanks Bill - how about paint, I would assume it's also the same as for boats? It does need painting also, depends on how much energy I have as to when it gets done.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #176

Ontario
Registry
Was told posted vehicle ratings are without sway bar, WD system, transaxle cooler, or trailer brakes.
Sway bar makes a difference at speed and in wind
Weight distribution system increase tongue weight (still limited by vehicle suspension)
Transaxle cooler prevents over heating due to resistance (wind and weight) at speed
Brakes make that hill and emergency stops better
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #177

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Maddy, you have a unique trailer... gotta love those Pucks! However, it does come with some paint challenges. Isn't the lower half aluminum? If so, there's a topic going about painting aluminum you may want to read. Knowledge is power and it can certainly save some mistakes and headaches: Painting Aluminum
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #178

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
That picture is subtitled diesel pusher vs. diesel puller!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #179

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
BTW, I have a mulberry tree on the border of my yard and every year (for about 2 weeks) the birds eat the berries and then poop purple all over my yard and anything in it....
Just name that Puck the Purple Berry and paint it purple.

We went camping with the SE Egg Camping Club a couple of years ago and had the pleasure of having a Puck join us. Those are definitely unique little campers with a lot of cool vibe. I loved the front kitchen and window. The owners were still in the restoration process, so it will be fun to see how it turned out.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #180

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The following is from a European web site on using a VW TDI to tow a 1200Kg (2500 lb) trailer.

We tow a Casita 16 with our non-deisel Honda CRV without issue.

For some reason in EUrope cars are rated for much higher trailer loads.

Volkswagen Golf VI - 2.0 TDI [DSG] with a Coachman

Roger reviewed a Volkswagen Golf VI - 2.0 TDI [DSG] (103 Kw/138 bhp). Modelyear: october 2008 - up to now) and a Coachman Amara 380/2 of 1205 kg.

The towing capability for this outfit is:

= 88%* = 103 km/u = 24%We have 30 years in and around towing using every towing combination including about 20,000 to 30,000 miles per year. This is our first Golf & Coachman and have own the car since March 2009 and the caravan since October 2009 and have already covered some 3,000 miles towing and have found the combination very good current mpg about 28 to 30 at 55mph. Handling is good and performs well at this time all is well.

Norm
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #181

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Norm, your post says you tow a "Casita 16" but your Trailer info in the sidebar says "Scamp". Can you please clarify which trailer you have?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #182

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For some reason in Europe cars are rated for much higher trailer loads.
Because in Europe trailers are towed at lower speeds and with much lower hitch weights.

Most countries limit trailers to 50mph or under special circumstances 60mph - for example, to tow at 60mph in Germany requires dampers to be fitted to the trailer suspension. European vehicles are typically limited to hitch weight percentages as low as 4% of trailer weight - a level that is considered dangerous in North America.

And, a little more contentiously, I suspect European tow-ers are expected to drive with more care and attention than North Americans - they are driving near the limit of their vehicles and are expected to behave accordingly.

If you compare the allowable hitch weights on vehicles in North America and Europe, they are surprisingly similar - which suggests that maybe it isn't total trailer weight that is really the limitation, but trailer hitch weight?