Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Roger, I refreshed my memory on the teardrop trailers and went back to a couple of mfrs' sites. Way too claustrophobic - might as well sleep in the hatchback. My only real alternative is a Tentrax. But that is just a tent trailer. No refrig., no facilities - just a bed. The weight restriction with the VW is a killer.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Aliner and chalet popups are an idea. Aliner makes some small models. the smallest towed by goldwing motorcycles.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I couldn't find the post with the VW Beetle in it - I checked all 22 pages!
Actually, it's right here in the Paint Jobs topic. Wait for it to load and it will take you right to the picture.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I wonder if a Little Joe would work? If so, it's better than laying down to pull on your pants like in a teardrop. Weis Craft Trailers - Little Joe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Maddy, as other have said, just cause you can, doesn't always mean you should. Please consider the fact that durning travel out west you will be traveling over some very steep Mountains, then you got to go down the other side with a trailer that is pushing on you the whole way down. I sooooooooooo get that your idea is a wonderful idea in theory, but in real life it may not be, especially if it means you or anyone on the road with you is hurt while your creating your idea. Now that being said, there may be a trailer or trailer option that will meet your towing weight. But I don't think a Casita is it. You say you would only be packing the essentials but you talk about a screened in room, that alone is adding weight. You also have to understand that your car may say you can tow a 1000 pounds, but you need to see if it allows for weight in the car besides you. Think about your suitcases when you fly, mine top 50 pounds almost everytime. Some vehicles will allow towing up to a certain weight but thats if the vehicle is empy of weight. Just get the facts so that your safe on your journey. Have you thought about one of those Motor cycle pop ups? I have seen them, they are cute, a little dressing area and a little bed, Your fur babies would be able to walk around in it. And a motor cycle is able to pull it so you should have no problems. Unfortunatly there is no kitchen, bathroom in them, but it would be a bed. Just another idea,

Just google pop up for motor cycle and a bunch come up. Maddy it's not that we don't want another Egg friend, it's we just want everyone to be safe! I just looked at a few different options and saw one trailer as lite as 300 pounds, I don't know what this one I am post a pic of weights. Good Luck! Robin
Attached Thumbnails
sen337x263.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I just emailed about the Little Joe to see if some customization can be done to bring it into my weight limit. It may be a possibility. With all my research and Googling, I have never come across that item before - Thanks.

I will check out the items made for motorcycles, but I think I have looked at them in the past and wasn't comfortable with the idea and size. Like Donna said, buying something where you have to be "laying down to pull on your pants" is not something I want to invest $ in.

As far as a tent trailer, they are nice, but I want something a little more secure. I had looked at the Tentrax and others in the past, but I would like a "hard shell" around me, if possible. I am not a tent person - maybe would have been when I was younger, but I am not younger anymore. And I believe that some of the RV parks won't accept them. I was hoping to do this trip slowly. I have moved cross-country twice and always in a hurry - would like to enjoy this one.

The screen room that I wanted to take with me is just one of the lightweight, pop-up types. It is for the "girls" to run around in and be "outside" after a day's traveling. I will have to fashion a floor and figure a way to secure it. Both of my cats are escape artists and will be looking to get out. They are now allowed to go in and out whenever they want - this will be a BIG change for them - should be a good way to drive me nuts at the same time I am doing as much planning for them as for myself. What a sucker!

I will continue to work on this. As I think I mentioned before, I may have to buy a small motorhome and tow the VW. Will cost more and the gas mileage will be horrible, but may be my only way of doing this.

This has become a project to be conquered. But I truly appreciate all the info. Glad I came onto this forum.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool

Trade your Golf in on a Toureg:

Good luck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite / Suburban
Another alternative - Sharon H. tows with a VW Eurovan that has a V6 engine. 4000lb towing capacity. Much better on gas than a Touareg & less expensive to buy. The Touareg is more sexy though.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The Toureg was rated one of the most unreliable SUV's on the market, ending up around the Range Rover's in quality. In fact it brought down the overall quality rating for Volkswagen for the first couple of years after it was launched.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 T@da
Exclamation

Quote:
The Toureg was rated one of the most unreliable SUV's on the market, ending up around the Range Rover's in quality. In fact it brought down the overall quality rating for Volkswagen for the first couple of years after it was launched.
couple o things- i towed a 13 ft trilll with a jetta tdi for years. the challenge is not really towing but the stopping.
big mountains will cause you trouble!! the lil machine will over heat ....for sure

my tow vehicle now is the jeep liberty DIESEL..which has a rating of 5k lbs tow...i love it an it was reasonably priced...so you just need to take the plunge and live life! it is only money; go to work and make more.

tb
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #25

Washington
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
I know. I looked at them. I was only kidding. That is the reason for the LOL. They are over $40K.
But if you look at the link, they can tow a 747!

I am looking and only the smallest teardrops weigh under 1000 lbs.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #26

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I tow with a Eurovan. I beg to differ with the comparison of the Eurovan and the Toureg The Toureg is short and dumpy. The Eurovan is tall and macho. My daughter wants a Toureg; my husband drives the Eurovan. The Eurovan back seat makes into a queen-size bed. Enough said

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_Dubuque.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #27

Washington
Registry
Unhappy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, $25000 is much more beautiful than $39000.
Attached Thumbnails
Touareg.jpg   Eurovan.jpg  

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Looks like this is the latest Eurovan (Caravelle). You can't get it here. Ours is the last year they were sold here, 2003.

CindyL
Attached Images