Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Trade your Golf in on a Toureg:

LOL

ADDITION:

Even the pop-ups are too big for a Golf. I found the source for teardrops:

http://www.campingearth.com/teardrop/

Good luck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite / Suburban
Another alternative - Sharon H. tows with a VW Eurovan that has a V6 engine. 4000lb towing capacity. Much better on gas than a Touareg & less expensive to buy. The Touareg is more sexy though.
Mailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The Toureg was rated one of the most unreliable SUV's on the market, ending up around the Range Rover's in quality. In fact it brought down the overall quality rating for Volkswagen for the first couple of years after it was launched.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 T@da
Exclamation

Quote:
The Toureg was rated one of the most unreliable SUV's on the market, ending up around the Range Rover's in quality. In fact it brought down the overall quality rating for Volkswagen for the first couple of years after it was launched.
couple o things- i towed a 13 ft trilll with a jetta tdi for years. the challenge is not really towing but the stopping.
big mountains will cause you trouble!! the lil machine will over heat ....for sure

my tow vehicle now is the jeep liberty DIESEL..which has a rating of 5k lbs tow...i love it an it was reasonably priced...so you just need to take the plunge and live life! it is only money; go to work and make more.

tb
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #25

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
I know. I looked at them. I was only kidding. That is the reason for the LOL. They are over $40K.
But if you look at the link, they can tow a 747!

I am looking and only the smallest teardrops weigh under 1000 lbs.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I tow with a Eurovan. I beg to differ with the comparison of the Eurovan and the Toureg The Toureg is short and dumpy. The Eurovan is tall and macho. My daughter wants a Toureg; my husband drives the Eurovan. The Eurovan back seat makes into a queen-size bed. Enough said

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_Dubuque.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #27

Registry
Unhappy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, $25000 is much more beautiful than $39000.
Attached Thumbnails
Touareg.jpg   Eurovan.jpg  

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looks like this is the latest Eurovan (Caravelle). You can't get it here. Ours is the last year they were sold here, 2003.

CindyL
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
go for the little Joe! i have a lite house ( almost the same as little Joe) and they rock! super big on size for how small they are. I'm 6' tall and don't even come close to hitting my head inside. and the bed is HUGE. its actually bigger than a queen. good luck on your search.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
But is it appropriate to advise her to "go for the Little Joe" when her car can only tow 1000 pounds maximum? How much does a loaded Little Joe weigh? An empty Little Joe?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This could be an option.

They take a honda element and make it like an old westfalia.

and I think they can tow a 13' egg.

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/camper.htm
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #32

Quote:
But is it appropriate to advise her to "go for the Little Joe" when her car can only tow 1000 pounds maximum? How much does a loaded Little Joe weigh? An empty Little Joe?

Raya
I've got an email in to Little Joe mfr. I think it comes close in weight, I asked if I could do some customization (removing things) to get it as light as possible. If I don't get an email today, I will call.

I may have to go with the pop-up tent trailer if all else fails. Not my first choice, but I cannot start to think about replacing my car now with everything else going on. I'm juggling quite a bit of major concerns right now. I'm trying to simplify, not add to the mix.
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maddy, another trailer you might want to check into is the POD by Pelsue Manufacturing out of Colorado. They build fiberglass trailers for utility companies... like AT&T. They maybe able to make you exactly what you want and need and at a decent weight. POD by Pelsue.

We had a discussion in General Chat going about the Lil Joe and POD. The manufacturer of the POD stopped by in the discussion too: Mystery Fiberglass Trailer.

Hope you find something to suit your needs. Please keep us up to date on the doings
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Maddy, The little Joe is pretty striped down to start with. Not to say they aren't workable for you, cause I don't know what they weight, but there wouldn't be a lot of options to take out. They are a perfect trailer for people who are looking for a alternative to other lite trailers and those who are taller who need a lite weight trailer. As Curtis said, they have a lot of room for their size. And the height is as he said! I walked right in with no dunking down. But I still have to question, is it too much for your car? Were you able to find out, if the tow capability is lessened with the amount of weight in your car? Meaning if you have 200 pounds of weight in your car that it would lessen the amount of weight your car can pull? I also wonder what will happen to your poor car, when on one of the many 6% grades you will have to cross coming out west you car will struggle to pull up the incline and who knows what it will be like on the down side.

I have to agree with Raya, I don't think we should encourage any trailer. It reminds me of a story here in Colorado, where a rv dealer assured a buyer that their SUV would pull this trailer they wanted to buy. Well first trip out, the oversized trailer took control during a downhill decent and there was a horrible wreck, their child was killed and the parents were seriously injured . In my opinion the fun of rv-ing no matter what size rv you are pulling, driving, etc is not worth anyone and I mean anyone getting hurt.
Also you asked the VW dealership this same question and said their answer wasn't positive. Please think long and hard about putting your self and others in danger. I am sorry I am one of the negative Nellie's of the bunch, cause like I said in a previous post, we love new Egg friends but I honestly would rather you were safe than an egg owner. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Maddy, The little Joe is pretty striped down to start with. Not to say they aren't workable for you, cause I don't know what they weight, but there wouldn't be a lot of options to take out. They are a perfect trailer for people who are looking for a alternative to other lite trailers and those who are taller who need a lite weight trailer. As Curtis said, they have a lot of room for their size. And the height is as he said! I walked right in with no dunking down. But I still have to question, is it too much for your car? Were you able to find out, if the tow capability is lessened with the amount of weight in your car? Meaning if you have 200 pounds of weight in your car that it would lessen the amount of weight your car can pull? I also wonder what will happen to your poor car, when on one of the many 6% grades you will have to cross coming out west you car will struggle to pull up the incline and who knows what it will be like on the down side.

I have to agree with Raya, I don't think we should encourage any trailer. It reminds me of a story here in Colorado, where a rv dealer assured a buyer that their SUV would pull this trailer they wanted to buy. Well first trip out, the oversized trailer took control during a downhill decent and there was a horrible wreck, their child was killed and the parents were seriously injured . In my opinion the fun of rv-ing no matter what size rv you are pulling, driving, etc is not worth anyone and I mean anyone getting hurt.
Also you asked the VW dealership this same question and said their answer wasn't positive. Please think long and hard about putting your self and others in danger. I am sorry I am one of the negative Nellie's of the bunch, cause like I said in a previous post, we love new Egg friends but I honestly would rather you were safe than an egg owner. Robin
I now have lots of information as to weight limitations and other variables. I am tryiing to find a viable solution, not push the envelope. I have no intention of overloading either a trailer or car. I understand the cumulative effect of weight in both vehicles.
Regarding the email to Little Joe mfr, they may have an alternative to their standard product - may be something made for another situation that might work. It never hurts to ask. If it doesn't work out, then so be it. I have always found it is better to do as much research as possible instead of just accepting defeat immediately. There are always surprises. I have many instances in my life (business and personal) that changed, for the better, because I didn't accept "can't be done" for an answer. Like I said, that may end up being the case, but why not find out for sure.
I can't get another car, I am juggling so many things right now, that would be the breaking point. I don't need even one more change right now. Not an option.
The problem with getting any info from VW is that my dealer always has a problem with anything that does not originate with VW or makes money for them. I don't have the utmost faith in anything the dealership tells me. They get upset when I have my intermediate tune-ups (oil/filter change, water separator drained etc) done by a diesel mechanic that is not VW. This is not rocket science.
I will figure out what is best, even if that means a tent trailer or a small motorhome to drag the VW behind. So, no more horror stories, please. I am not an irresponsible person. I am just gathering info and will sort it all out.
Thanks
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #36

yea, don't tow out of your load capacity. i just like them. i tow way under towing. my litehouse is 900 empty and i tow with a Tacoma and hitch rated at 6000 lbs. what about one of these. http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/ma...aGrandTour.php this was another route i was looking at. they make a thick walled version that is very warm.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Maddy, If any one understands not accepting the "can't be done" canned answer it's me! But again, I just don't want any suggestion given here by all of us well meaning egg enthusiast to get you or anyone else hurt. So thats why I have to stand up and be the negative Nellie or at the very least, Get the all the facts Nellie. I truly hope you find a great alternative for your situation. Safe Journey! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
New Golf 2.0 TDI, 5 speed manual, 110HP towing data from Poland:

Maximum trailer weight with brakes at 12% / 8% hill is 1500 / 1700 kg (3300 / 3740 lb)

Maximum trailer weight w/o brakes is 660 kg (1452 lb)

Maximum hitch weight 75 kg (165 lb)

VW_PL

UK data shows 1299 kg (2858 lb) with manual transmission.

VW_UK

If the maximum hitch weight is 165 lb (10%) the trailer shouldn’t be more then 1650 lb in accordance to appropriate trailer weight distribution. It seems we either have more lawyers then EU or simply are more cautious.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
George,

I don't know if this is the sole reason, but I have read that European trailers are typically set up a bit differently in terms of tongue weight in relationship to camper (axle), and that this is part of the reason for the typical difference in towing capacities between European and American versions of the "same" car.

Another difference could be that axle ratios are different, or that differences in emissions equipment or tuning computers means that the end result car is not the same. Another possibility is that, for example, North Americans like a slightly cushier ride, so the suspension parts are slightly different.

It may just be lawyers, but there could be other factors as well.

Maddy you are right to not take the dealer's word as gospel. They typically know little about towing -- their focus tends to be on selling and servicing the vehicle they sell you, as you found out.

I understand how it is to be in a situation where one more change feels like it will break the rope that you are already at the end of, but OTOH, perhaps changing vehicles wouldn't be much more disruptive than buying a motorhome and tow dolly setup The nice thing about a trailer is that you are not having to purchase and maintain two engines, one of which may tend to sit for periods, which they are never fond of.

I don't think Robin and I were reacting to you, or your judgment or capability, when we were talking about the dangers of towing overloaded as much as we were to suggestions that might have implied that you should that you go ahead and do it anyway. Also, we know from experience that trailers are very likely to weigh more in real life than the mfgr thinks they do, even lightly loaded. (Especially) since you are new here I think we wanted to balance those views with a more conservative one to be sure you had both sides to consider.

I tow with a 4-cylinder car, so I'm not one of the people who thinks you have to have a 3/4 ton truck with a V-8 just to hook anything up - far from it.

Researching is good!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #40

so whats her maximum tow rating? can anyone find it for the us version?