Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #101

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Here is a link to an interesting tent trailer that weighs in at 800 llbs.
From th web site: the GO is more versatile than a swiss army knife!

http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #102

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
the GO is more versatile than a swiss army knife!

http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html
Perhaps more versatile....but....the rain fly doesn't appear to be adequate. An adequate rain fly looks as shown in attached photo (must come all the way to the ground (or base of tent)
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSR_in_AZ_08.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	20816

...MarvonW
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #103

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
This rig was at the Bluebonnet casita rally at Bandera, TX in April.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0090.resize.jpg  
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #104

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
yep! that's us!
we pull our 13' with a diesel new beetle TDI and it does fine. Not great, but fine.
Just shift down when going up those long inclines! ha!
We love the VW--it is red and so looks right with the red and white Scamp.
But:
If you are moving all your things inside that scamp, the VW will be very upset pulling all that weight. If you are shipping your stuff and it's just yu and kitties, then, go for it!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #105

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
I know is not a Egg but with only 1000Pds limit you need to compromise a bit...

Here a 750Pds 12' composite fiber wall (Like a TADA) look all the photo link (down the page) To bad the mini 13' at 950 Pds was a bit heavy... Just take the outside shower option and the spare tire support....Your good to go ! http://www.roulottesprolite.com/english/eco12.htm

PS: This is axel rating the trailer weight exactly 830 Pds empty Aka no propane,no water and no gear...
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #106

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Towing information and capability is in my new Beetle manual. The brake lights went out on my VW baby (among other expensiv things), and the hubby found it in the documentation when he was looking for fuse information.

CindyL
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #107

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Towing information and capability is in my new Beetle manual. The brake lights went out on my VW baby (among other expensiv things), and the hubby found it in the documentation when he was looking for fuse information.

CindyL

I made the mistake on weight when I first posted, but have since realized my error. My manual states 1,000 lbs max.

I'm trying to work with that - don't want to give up the Golf. I'm pretty sure a Puck is my only alternative, but Gilles suggestion looks good too, as well as some others that have posted. I've got some time to work on this, so I will keep looking and searching for an answer.

Thanks for the info. (That VW manual is a beast, isn't it? )
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #108

Registry
I haven't used the manual myself. We did buy one of the thicker repair manuals but even with that, we still have to rely on the experts for a lot of things. This Beetle is a bit more complicated than our '69 Beetle. The hubby can handle that one.

I read a recommendation online that these not be used to tow (I also read that the Golf and Beetle are the same underneath.), but why would there be something in the manual if this is the case? There is even a hole in the fender of my Beetle for towing.

Good luck on what you choose to do. The Puck is cute too. I took some pix of one at the VW show we were at last weekend if you want me to post those?

CindyL
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #109

Quote:
I haven't used the manual myself. We did buy one of the thicker repair manuals but even with that, we still have to rely on the experts for a lot of things. This Beetle is a bit more complicated than our '69 Beetle. The hubby can handle that one.

I read a recommendation online that these not be used to tow (I also read that the Golf and Beetle are the same underneath.), but why would there be something in the manual if this is the case? There is even a hole in the fender of my Beetle for towing.

Good luck on what you choose to do. The Puck is cute too. I took some pix of one at the VW show we were at last weekend if you want me to post those?

CindyL
From what I've been told, the Golf and Beetle are the same basic frame underneath. I am on a couple of forums trying to get my towing situation solved, and there are lots of questions/comments about limits on towing. On a TDI forum, you get a whole different set of ideas and recommendations on using a VW to tow. It's been very interesting - hope it boils down to a solution soon. By the way, ask about towing at a dealer and they freak out a little, as if you asked if you could put wings on it!

Would love to see the pix of the Puck. Since it was a VW show, I guess that this was showing that you could tow one with a VW, yes?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #110

Registry
Here you go. Exterior pix:
Attached Thumbnails
Puck_1.jpg   Puck_2.jpg  

Old 06-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #111

Registry
Interior pix:
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #112

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Maddy...I have an '03 4cyl VW TDI. The manual states clearly not to tow with this vehicle. Alan

Quote:
I posted this on the Casita Forum, but someone suggested I also post here:

I am looking at the little 13' Casita. I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever used a VW Golf TDI (manual transmission) to tow one.

I'm actually considering this because I'm moving in a few months from the East Coast to AZ. I have 2 cats to take with me and the idea of taking them in and out of motel rooms along the way is not something I look forward to. So, I thought if I bought one of the Casita trailers, I could also get a separate pop-up screen room for the "girls" in which they could burn off some energy and I would have a secure place to sleep and shower. I would much rather stay in an RV park than a motel (and the additional charges for pets is sometimes very expensive).

Also, I have no definite plans on permanent housing once I get there, so I may need a couple of months to find something. I can stay in the Casita while I look, although the cats will NOT be happy . I may have to board them for a little while - don't want to leave them alone in the trailer at all.

Then, once I'm settled in a new home, I can take the trailer on little trips as needed since I'm moving to a fairly rural high desert area and any major shopping will require quite a bit of mileage and overnight stays.

So, I'm just at the beginning of this process. I don't understand the "hitch weight". I know about the maximum weight I can tow, VW manual says 2,000 - but whenever I ask someone at the VW dealer about this, they freak out a little.

Thanks for any and all info.
Alan Schroepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #113

Cindy: Thanks for the pix. Those Pucks are nice. Interesting VW "truck"? I need to find out if there is a rally nearby so I can get some firsthand looks at some of these little trailers. It would be good to talk to the owners about their experiences.

Alan: My manual actually has towing info. It states that the car was designed for passenger use, but then goes on for more than 2 pages about towing including limits, tire pressure, hitch weight, load placement etc. And then, there is another section that lists all of the applicable weights in a chart. A lot of people in Europe (and here) tow with VWs. If I get a Puck, the weight is well within the restrictions. Do you think it has anything to do with the type of platform each year is built on? I just found out that different years are built on different platforms. Maybe one is more conducive to towing than others???
And, as I said before, I don't want to do anything risky, but if within VW limits, I will try to do this. I intend to go slow and careful. I always think the other drivers around me might be nuts, so I drive defensively anyway. I'm not going to be racing to Arizona. I just want to be able to enjoy the trip and stop when I feel like it - maybe stay a few days before moving on.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #114

Quote:
Cindy: Thanks for the pix. Those Pucks are nice. Interesting VW "truck"? I need to find out if there is a rally nearby so I can get some firsthand looks at some of these little trailers. It would be good to talk to the owners about their experiences.

Alan: My manual actually has towing info. It states that the car was designed for passenger use, but then goes on for more than 2 pages about towing including limits, tire pressure, hitch weight, load placement etc. And then, there is another section that lists all of the applicable weights in a chart. A lot of people in Europe (and here) tow with VWs. If I get a Puck, the weight is well within the restrictions. Do you think it has anything to do with the type of platform each year is built on? I just found out that different years are built on different platforms. Maybe one is more conducive to towing than others???
And, as I said before, I don't want to do anything risky, but if within VW limits, I will try to do this. I intend to go slow and careful. I always think the other drivers around me might be nuts, so I drive defensively anyway. I'm not going to be racing to Arizona. I just want to be able to enjoy the trip and stop when I feel like it - maybe stay a few days before moving on.
You will be fine towing a 13ft fiberglass scamp, burro, casitas but you wil have to trave lite. I encourage you to browse some of the VW forums in the US an UK and get 1st hand account from those who have and continue to use VW's of all modelss to tow travel trailers ie: caravans.

Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #115

Name:	VW_Pasat.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	20915

Attached Thumbnails
VW_Beatle_Trailer_Hitch.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #116

Name:	VW_Golf_1_000_lbs_towing.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	20917
[attachment=25126:VW_Bug_T..._Trailer.
jpg]

Couple of pics of VW's towing trailers, the Golf is 110 hp 4 cyl towing 1,000 pounds
Attached Thumbnails
VW_Bug_Towing_Trailer.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #117

I wonder what's in that crate.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #118

Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Quote:
I am not a salesman for little guy but here is an alternative:

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

Your VW should be able to haul one of these. Just do a search on "teardrop trailers".

I have a Teardrop as well as my Burro and have seen many VW's pulling them at our gatherings.
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #119

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Maddy,
Here is a link to some interesting very small trailers. None are molded fiberglass, but several might fit your needs.

http://www.johnweeks.com/random/campers/index.html
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #120

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Talking

New guy Wayne here ,just a thought on the subject .I have read somewhere that different states have different rules about tow weights and restrictions.Something else to consider for your trip . Good luck drive safe .
Quote:
Maddy,
Here is a link to some interesting very small trailers. None are molded fiberglass, but several might fit your needs.

http://www.johnweeks.com/random/campers/index.html
Wayne M N is offline   Reply With Quote