Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Posts: 1,564
There is a thread on that safari in the forum here, It sure would be fun to see inside of it. I reminds me of the new Hi-lo mojo that just came out. You can google that one to take a quick peek if you have never seen it yet.
__________________

__________________
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #72
Member
 
Maddy's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
There is a thread on that safari in the forum here, It sure would be fun to see inside of it. I reminds me of the new Hi-lo mojo that just came out. You can google that one to take a quick peek if you have never seen it yet.
They have a PDF brochure on their website. It looks fabulous. Why can't the US mfrs get creative like this? It is so well thought out. They even make fitted awnings and screenrooms for it. Boy, if I didn't have my dinky VW, I'd be tempted to get one. I love innovative design.
__________________

__________________
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Posts: 142
I love the design of the Safari but the price, that is another thing. I believe it is about $25,000 or higher.
__________________
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
They have a PDF brochure on their website. It looks fabulous. Why can't the US mfrs get creative like this? It is so well thought out. They even make fitted awnings and screenrooms for it. Boy, if I didn't have my dinky VW, I'd be tempted to get one. I love innovative design.

Until you get burned by a design that hasn't matured enough to drive out all the bugs. LOL

I speak from experience. :-(
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #75
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Maddy, Your main problem with your car is that it is Front Wheel Drive. Having weight on the back of a front wheel drive vehicle tends to make the towing unstable. That doesn't mean it can't be done but exceeding more than 50% of your towing vehicles weight means the balance & weight shifts are more dangerous. That's probably why your towing limit is set at 1000lbs. which should be pretty close to 50% of the Vw's weight of around 2200lbs. Think of going too fast into a corner or hitting a dip while changing lanes or Braking. You can easily see that under those conditions the trailer could become the "tail wagging the dog." In the UK & Europe Trailers are typically towed by small cars with smaller engines than we get here, the big difference I think is the speed at which they are towed. Speed is your enemy when towing as problems escalate the faster you go. In my opinion it should be the law that all towed vehicles including commercial vehicles should be restricted to 80 kms/55mph. for everyones safety. Here in Western Canada a Commercial Vehicle (Tractor Trailer) is involved in a serious accident more than once per month & these are supposedly experienced Professional Drivers. If they get into trouble doing this daily you will be taking a risk with little experience but keep your speed down, leave lots & lots of room in front of you & aim high in your vision to keep an eye on what's happening up ahead. This is good advice even if you move driving a different vehicle. Oh & please let me know how you make out & where in Arizona you end up. I am starting my Winters in Arizona next December. Good Luck, Glen
__________________
BC Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #76
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
this one might be a reasonable compromise for your needs alite 400 they pop up quickly and have a cargo rack on top.

It IS small, like the motorcycle tent trailers, which makes it light.. and it has hard sides.

I almost got one when my first 13 foot Burro came along. It is not a lot of room for the money, but it has all you actually need. With 2 cats.. it would be "cozy"

They have a pretty nifty kitchen option, an all in one unit with stove, sink and small water tank that can be used indoors, or picked up and put on an outside stand for outdoor use.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
curtis c's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Posts: 172
neat! i can pull my lite house around like that that would be a great rig for a little car.
__________________
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #78
Member
 
Maddy's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Maddy, Your main problem with your car is that it is Front Wheel Drive. Having weight on the back of a front wheel drive vehicle tends to make the towing unstable. That doesn't mean it can't be done but exceeding more than 50% of your towing vehicles weight means the balance & weight shifts are more dangerous. That's probably why your towing limit is set at 1000lbs. which should be pretty close to 50% of the Vw's weight of around 2200lbs. Think of going too fast into a corner or hitting a dip while changing lanes or Braking. You can easily see that under those conditions the trailer could become the "tail wagging the dog." In the UK & Europe Trailers are typically towed by small cars with smaller engines than we get here, the big difference I think is the speed at which they are towed. Speed is your enemy when towing as problems escalate the faster you go. In my opinion it should be the law that all towed vehicles including commercial vehicles should be restricted to 80 kms/55mph. for everyones safety. Here in Western Canada a Commercial Vehicle (Tractor Trailer) is involved in a serious accident more than once per month & these are supposedly experienced Professional Drivers. If they get into trouble doing this daily you will be taking a risk with little experience but keep your speed down, leave lots & lots of room in front of you & aim high in your vision to keep an eye on what's happening up ahead. This is good advice even if you move driving a different vehicle. Oh & please let me know how you make out & where in Arizona you end up. I am starting my Winters in Arizona next December. Good Luck, Glen
Well, my house is still up for sale, so I have lots of time to resolve this.
I think I've pretty much zeroed in on the Puck. It's light enough, and if in good shape, has basically what I need. I don't really fancy the A-line pop-ups, since my research has shown that too many of the hinged sections eventually misalign and create problems.
As far as speed goes, if I get a little camper (Puck), I will be taking my time and not trying to get there in a hurry - that's the whole idea behind this. I have done the cross-country trip twice before, always in a hurry. Would like to do this move slowly and relax a little. By the time I sell my house and pack everything into storage, I will need to relax BIG TIME. I'm a very careful driver and always have in mind that most drivers around me are dangerous in one way or another, so I'm extremely vigilant.
And if I can't get things worked out, I might have to get a small motorhome and drag the VW.

Glen: I'm going to a high desert area. You are probably going to be looking for a low desert, warmer area to winter in. There's lots of that in AZ. Check out Wunderground.com for weather info and pix for areas you might be interested in. If you want a nice small town in the mountains, look at Jerome. Very small but nice, an old mining town - you can do Google Earth and get a street level view with their camera icons - you probably know this already. Or check the outlying areas around the larger cities. You can get a good idea of what each area looks like and what businesses are around. I have extensively investigated the town to which I plan to move. I've familiarized myself with each neighborhood, and most of the streets. So, when I get there and start looking at houses, I don't have to waste a lot of time being shown to areas I don't like. I've made some good, helpful contacts (via email) with some local animal rescue people since I have pets and this is going to be a different lifestyle for them also.

I'm now looking at dual citizenship, US & Canada. Most of my family is Canadian (Maritime French), even though I was born and raised in the US. I have some family that is now in BC, so I may get up there sooner or later.
Thanks, Maddy
__________________
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #79
Member
 
Maddy's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Posts: 48
Here's something I just came across. Don't know if this has been mentioned on this forum before. Enjoy!

Looks like the answer to my original question.

__________________
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Posts: 1,564
here is a (82 i think)rabbit that has the TDi motor in it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	82_rabbit.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	20523

__________________
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Unhappy

Just because some fool does it, doesn't mean it's a good idea!

__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #82
Member
 
Maddy's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Eriba Puck
Virginia
Posts: 48
[quote]here is a (82 i think)rabbit that has the TDi motor in it.
Attachment 20523


That is one ugly little Rabbit - wonder how many of those were sold. I know my Golf is just a newer version of a Rabbit, but at least it's been redesigned.

That little Casita looks cute. I keep hoping there's a mistake somewhere and I'll find out that I can pull one. Oh well
__________________
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Posts: 540
Here's a clip with a VW bug and the Eriba Puck:
__________________
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Tom U's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Posts: 382
Registry
Quote:
That is one ugly little Rabbit - wonder how many of those were sold. I know my Golf is just a newer version of a Rabbit, but at least it's been redesigned.

That little Casita looks cute. I keep hoping there's a mistake somewhere and I'll find out that I can pull one. Oh well
The TV pictured is a Rabbit Diesel Pick-up Truck. It was designed as a real 1/2 ton Pick-up. Even so, the 1,000 pound cargo capacity had to include the passengers. That was okay because the bed was small. Also, very underpowered when loaded. With the proper hitch it would pull a small trailer - don't remember the gross weight recommendations - depended on the hitch. They built quite a few and I still see them occasionally.

I drove one for years, great truck. The operative word here is 'truck'. We owned a diesel rabbit sedan at the same time. The frame, transmission and suspension were not the same as the sedans. They were great then but are now VERY old and probably not very serviceable or reliable. They do not like cold weather. We let ours go for more reliable wheels.
__________________

__________________
Tom - '79 Fiber Stream

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.