Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #141

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would suggest following the Mfg. tow spec's I have seen people who have not followed those guild lines with some serious breakdowns on the highway. I just purchased a 2010 Subaru Outback with a tow rating of 2700 lbs and hitch weight of 200lbs. While I could go light on the 16' Scamp I going to go with the 13' version(1200lbs and 100lbs for the hitch) as I want to carry bikes, and all the stuff that you need in the RV.

All that stuff adds up and who wants to have mechanical problems while camping! You may want to take a look at the tear drops.

Good luck
Bill caulway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #142

Trailer:
Quote:
BTW, a regional VW office in Europe looked up my VW from its VIN # and gave me different (higher) tow weights. So I guess it is CYA in the U.S.
Yes, probably some CYA and also some encouragement to buy bigger vehicles offered in North America that just aren't sold in Europe.

But the biggest factor is that European and North American towing practices are completely different.

Europeans:
- tow with a hitch weight %age that would be considered dangerously low by most North Americans;
- expect to drive at a lower speed when towing (and towing speed limits are enforced);
- expect to drive with greater attention since they are always nearer the limit of stability than North Americans.

So if using a European tow rating in North America, you would have to be willing and able to drive like a European when towing.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #143

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maddy was Last Active 31st March 2010 - 08:39 AM, doubtful she'll see any of the recent comments. But hope she finds her way here again.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #144

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
TOO MUCH TRAILER?? hehehe
Attached Thumbnails
suBARu_013.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #145

Trailer: Boler
We pull our 13 foot Boler with a Jetta TDI...still hardly know it's there behind us!
Grantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #146

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Isn't that an early Subaru? No problem!

Quote:
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #147

Trailer:
Quote:
TOO MUCH TRAILER??
Sorry for the non-fiberglass trailer, but I like this old photo too much to leave it out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	weferlinger.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	28225

Now that Weferlinger 200 is small even compared to a Scamp (111" long, 65" wide and 550 pounds) but that tow vehicle is a Bond Minicar three-wheeler - with a single-cylinder two-stroke 200cc motor putting out nearly 10hp on a good day.

The cycle may be for local transport at the destination (no point driving that monster tow vehicle around, eh?) or it may be for the car passenger to get out and ride to help push the trailer up hills....

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #148

Registry
Quote:
Isn't that an early Subaru? No problem!
Yep! 1970 Subaru 360. two stroke/two cylinder 360CC , car weighs 925# seats four.
It's 9 feet long, The Smart Car is 10" taller and 10" wider than the Subie.
It only has 26HP [not bad for 22CID]
BTW.... It doesn't have a hitch! of course. I was just trying to rib those "By the Book" guys a little.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #149

Registry
Quote:
Sorry for the non-fiberglass trailer, but I like this old photo too much to leave it out:

Attachment 28225

Now that Weferlinger 200 is small even compared to a Scamp (111" long, 65" wide and 550 pounds) but that tow vehicle is a Bond Minicar three-wheeler - with a single-cylinder two-stroke 200cc motor putting out nearly 10hp on a good day.

The cycle may be for local transport at the destination (no point driving that monster tow vehicle around, eh?) or it may be for the car passenger to get out and ride to help push the trailer up hills....

Andrew
here's one on a matching Trabant
Attached Thumbnails
trabant06.jpg  
Old 05-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #150

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
here's one on a matching Trabant
Way cool stable door! (what is the right name for them?)

Now there's an idea for a trailer mod!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #151

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Way cool stable door! (what is the right name for them?)

They're actually called Dutch Doors. They just happen to be used in stables as well as human houses
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #152

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I thought about doing that to my boler American. Cut the door in 1/2 near the belly band. One would have to use 2 sets of hinges and move them both closer to the middle of the door to accomodate the body curvature.

Some pet screening on a roller blind type set up could then be used for when the top of the dutch door is open.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #153

Trailer: Teardrop
Quote:
I'd love to have a 360 in good working order. Would go nicely with our Forester and WRX STi, particularly the WRX -- what polar opposites they'd be.
jon mck. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #154

It's really a simple answer, at least for me, tow within the car manufactures specification. I have a new Subaru Outback that is rated for 2700lbs and 200lbs hitch weight. Regardless of what I tow I intend to respect that. As far as the hitch weight you can simply measure it by resting the retractable hitch wheel on a bathroom scale.

Enjoy and be safe!
Bill caulway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #155

another beetle photo to add to the VW thread. This ones a Turbo beetle in TN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	turbobeetle.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	28426

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #156

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hopefully the car is just parked there, or it's a gag photo. A 16' Casita would be *way* over the limit for a VW bug (I believe it is 1,000 lbs.)

By the way, the OP reported back some months ago - I think she said she bought an Eriba Puck, which is a lightweight, partially aluminum camper with a pop up roof section (I looked at one; they are really neat but make a typical 13-er look huge!).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #157

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Quote:
I have towed a 1,200 plus pound teardrop up and down the coast of CA with a Hyundia Elantra, the trailer has no brakes. I have not had any issues with towing and i consistantly drive 65 mph plus on the freeways.
Why are you even stating this? You are WAY under your rated capacity, just add some brakes to that puppy:

"Hyundai Elantra: No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity when trailer brakes are used (without the brakes, it tops out at 1,000 pounds). That's not much by truck standards, but for a budget-priced compact sedan, it's exceptional. Note that this is 1,000 pounds more than full-size sedans like the Cadillac DeVille and Mercury Grand Marquis are rated to carry."

This is from Edmunds! http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...26/article.html

Now there would be a car for eggs!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #158

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Having read that report, I was seriously looking at Hyundai Elantras just for that reason a couple of years ago, but when I looked at the owners manual at the dealers the tow limit was substantially less than what the Edmunds article stated. I think Edmunds may have pulled the UK ratings and transposed them to US ratings.
Too bad, because the Elantra is a nice car.

John

Quote:
Why are you even stating this? You are WAY under your rated capacity, just add some brakes to that puppy:

"Hyundai Elantra: No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity when trailer brakes are used (without the brakes, it tops out at 1,000 pounds). That's not much by truck standards, but for a budget-priced compact sedan, it's exceptional. Note that this is 1,000 pounds more than full-size sedans like the Cadillac DeVille and Mercury Grand Marquis are rated to carry."

This is from Edmunds! http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/...26/article.html

Now there would be a car for eggs!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #159

I wonder what this toyota manual says for towing being in Canada
Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #160

Found my way back here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maddy was Last Active 31st March 2010 - 08:39 AM, doubtful she'll see any of the recent comments. But hope she finds her way here again.
Hi Donna et al,

I was checking on the posts now and then, just not jumping in since I opened such a can of worms in the first place. And I have been bogged down with a few other projects that needed attention.

I'm finalizing the purchase of the Puck (1,000 lbs!) - I still need to get it from No. Calif to Virginia. I have posted in several places, this forum and others, looking for someone who is coming back east, from now until Sept 15, who is interested in towing the Puck. I will pay their gas for cross country and they can sleep in the Puck to save on motel expenses.
This deal has taken such a long time and I will be glad when "she" is parked in my driveway, finally!

BTW, re the can of worms about towing. I will be taking as little as possible with me - i intend to ship most things ahead of me. So I will keep the weight down to a minimum. I'm nervous about this (wonder why?) and intend to be extremely careful. I'm not going to be in a hurry. My move has been delayed - life got in the way again - so I will have plenty of time to take little local trips before the move and get used to it. After the move, I'll be using it for short distance trips.

So, all the info was interesting and informative, and now I just have to wrap this deal up once and for all.

Thanks to all.
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote