Convert 4way to 7way? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I recently put a tow package on my truck that has the 4 way connector to control the brake and tail lights. The camper I'm looking at has the 7 way connector for electric brakes. Is there an easy and inexpensive way to convert this so I can tow the camper and still use the lights and electric brakes?
Please help,
Stacie
StacieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Stacie,

I don't believe you can purchase a "ready made" 4-pin-vehicle to 7-pin-camper adapter. I had to have one made (which was quick and relatively inexpensive at a hitch shop - $17) after hunting high and low. There are adapters to go the other way, but I guess manufacturers of adapters don't expect you to "downgrade" in the vehicle direction.

That said, the adapter still wouldn't control the brakes, but it would operate the lights.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Stacie,

We just had our Subaru converted from the four-way flat plug to the seven-way round plug with electric brake controller and the 'standard' of red turn signals at Tork Lift Central to the tune of $369.35. Sorry, doesn't look like a cheap way to do it unless you do it yourself.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
I recently put a tow package on my truck that has the 4 way connector to control the brake and tail lights. The camper I'm looking at has the 7 way connector for electric brakes. Is there an easy and inexpensive way to convert this so I can tow the camper and still use the lights and electric brakes?
Please help,
Stacie
http://www.etrailer.com/p-V30606.htm

this goes on real easy but you have to run a line for a brake control and also a line to the battery if you want to charge your trailer battery while traveling. I chose not to run a charging line, most standard alternators struggle to charge the battery while the fridge, and TV A/C are running at the same time.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would be very inclined to convert the vehicle to 7-way, esp if you are going to have brakes or battery charging or both.

What I did was clip the 4-way plug off the wiring and connected the wires to the 7-way. I then purchased a 7-way to 4-way adapter in case I want to tow a small trailer with a 4-way.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I ended up with a 7 pin replacement plug, so I cut off the factory plug, and installed both the 7 pin and a 4 pin on the trailer end. Easy, and cheap. Even if you didn't want to cut off the factory 7 pin from the trailer, you could trace the wire back to the junction, and run a 4 pin from there.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

(see post #3)

The reason we went the way we did was modern cars are more sensitive re electrical things what with computers, etc. Also I am getting too old to go climbing around a car anymore. Also, by having an experienced shop install it I eliminate the learning curve associated with DIY projects. The Subaru also has separate turn signal/brake lights. TLC convinced us that that is 'non standard' and that we should go with combined brake/signal lights. So we also had to have a converter installed. It may have been more expensive, but it was a heck of a lot simpler and what is a couple of hundred when you are spending thousands for an RV.

PS: We still have our four-pin connector for trailers that need that kind.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Quote:
Please help,
Stacie
Stacie, what is your make, model and year of your truck? If would help determine what is needed in your case.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hoppy makes a nice unit, look for model 47185 here on the Hoppy site:
They call it the - MULTI-TOW™ 7:4 ADAPTER

You plug your existing 4 pin into the back of it and it gives you both a 4 pin and 7 pin. Simple install, run a power and brake wire back and you are done. I followed the suggestions of others here on FGRV and ran a negative wire back too, plus I put in a circuit breaker.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #10

Yes indeed, there should be an auto-reset circuit breaker on the blue brake wire and the same or a fuse on the battery charging wire.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I got the plug shown below at Wal-Mart for about $22. The 4-pin plug that came with the installed Honda hitch plugs into the back of it, and it has both a 4-pin outlet and the 7-pin. I then ran the 12v charge wire, the brake controller wire, and the ground wire to the provided leads. Nice and neat and ready for any kind of trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
OdysseyBrakeController9.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you to everyone for your information. My husband and I are now proud owners of a 16ft Scamp. We ended up finding a converter to plug into the trailer from our 2000 Toyota Tacoma that worked just fine for working the tail and break lights for pulling it home. We are price quoting a couple of places to get the 7 way wired on my truck so we can use the electric brakes. Neither of us knows how to do any of the wiring ourselves. This is our first camper and we still have a lot to learn. Thanks again for your help.
StacieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #13

You will also need a wire from the TV battery to the 7-way so you can charge the Egg battery with the TV alternator while driving.

Over-size wire is a good thing here, at least #10, better #8, along with an auto-reset circuit breaker at the TV battery.