correct tire size for ECO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Jabo
Trailer: Eco
New York
correct tire size for ECO

What size tire should I put on my ECO?
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
An ECO13 most likely came with the equivalent of modern 155/80-13s.
175/80R13 is the most ubiquitous size now extant, which would work just fine for your application.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Floyd is right on
The ECO was a franchised version of the Boler so it would have identical specification. The modern replacement for tires would be 175/80R13 ST
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Name: Jabo
Trailer: Eco
New York
Tires

Thanks a bunch! I have ordered 3 new tires with white steel spoke rims. Missing the spare wheel and tire, I thought this was the way to go.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita & trillium
Texas
Registry
What is the trailer hitch ball size for a 13' eco
Ron1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I am not 100% sure but many of them use 1 7/8"
Old 10-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
Sorry for the delay, tire size is hard to say, I discuss it in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Floyd is right on
The ECO was a franchised version of the Boler so it would have identical specification. The modern replacement for tires would be 175/80R13 ST
Ian, please get your history straight. The ECO evolved from the boler American which was franchised.

The ECO was a stand alone trailer that appears to have used some of the same molds. It was made by Century Manufacturing that was originally contracted to make the boler Americans for Elanor International aka boler American that only had an office in Wichita KS.

But I can't say they were the same molds for sure because both the Love Bug and Scamp modified the boler American molds. For the history buffs, the boler American was unique in that there was a depression in the street side wheel well to accommodate the gravity furnace. I don't believe that was carried over to any of it's successors.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Thanks for the clarification Roy.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita & trillium
Texas
Registry
Ian thanks for the quick response concerning the hitch ball size. I was preparing to pick up a 1973 ECO over 100 miles away. You were correct on the 1 7/8. I had to put new tires (175 80r 13) on it to get it home. My question now is the clearance on the inside of the street side tire. Because on the indention in the wheel well to accommodate the furnace there is less than 1/4"! Is this normal? It appears to have the original axel in it and it is shot and I am going to replace it. Do I need to address this clearance issue when I order a new axel? The tire rides on the old axle within 2" of the top of the wheel well. The new axle will drop the tire down and that will give more clearance on the inside but it will still be very close to the tire. What are your thoughts?
Ron1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1943 View Post
I had to put new tires (175 80r 13) on it to get it home. My question now is the clearance on the inside of the street side tire. Because on the indention in the wheel well to accommodate the furnace there is less than 1/4"! Is this normal? It appears to have the original axel in it and it is shot and I am going to replace it. Do I need to address this clearance issue when I order a new axel?
Ron,
It is interesting to learn that the ECO carried over the indentation in the street side wheel well from it predecessor the boler American. I've sketched out a cross section of my trailer in this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168312

I'm thinking the 1/4" sidewall clearance near the furnace might be normal for you and I. It might not be for those that do not have the indentation. Here is a picture of the furnace and indentation in mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Notched Wheel Well.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	90503

You will notice the frame is offset ~1" towards the curbside. If you order your axle with the bolt on bracket kit, you will find the brackets are wider than your frame. When welding the axle on, you can then shift the axle about 1/2" to the street side which will give you a bit more clearance on that wheel well. You are essentially trying to center the hub faces under the body.

If you are going to try that, double check all your measurements before ordering an axle. And don't go by mine as I changed the axle direction.

I tried to order an axle with the brackets offset to center the wheels under the body but Dexter would not go for it, they said they would have to retool the production line.

Can you please send me a PM with the depth of your kitchen counter? I've got an idea I want to confirm.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sorry for the delay, tire size is hard to say, I discuss it in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168318

Ian, please get your history straight. The ECO evolved from the boler American which was franchised.

The ECO was a stand alone trailer that appears to have used some of the same molds. It was made by Century Manufacturing that was originally contracted to make the boler Americans for Elanor International aka boler American that only had an office in Wichita KS.

But I can't say they were the same molds for sure because both the Love Bug and Scamp modified the boler American molds. For the history buffs, the boler American was unique in that there was a depression in the street side wheel well to accommodate the gravity furnace. I don't believe that was carried over to any of it's successors.
Roy my 1971 Boler has the recessed wheel well for the gravity furnace. I believe it was manufactured by Evelands when they were contracted to make the Boler American before they began producing Scamps. The tail lights look like a Boler or an Eco. Does anyone know if the Canadian made Bolers had the recessed wheel well street side?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Mine also had the original Ingersol Rub R Ride torsion axle when I got it (since been replaced with a Dexter #9)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Roy my 1971 Boler has the recessed wheel well for the gravity furnace. ... Does anyone know if the Canadian made Bolers had the recessed wheel well street side?
I might be wrong Johnny, I think the different wheel well under the sink was an American thing.

I would question your boler being a 1971. It may have been made in late 1971 for the 1972 model. Some went by manufactured date, some by model year, some by date sold. You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-26760-3.html

Tags
eco