Couple total new RV within 20 minutes of buying it... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Couple total new RV within 20 minutes of buying it...

RV wipes out, totaled, only 20 minutes after couple buy it

June 26, 2018 RV Staff

Photo: Washington State Patrol. (Click to enlarge.)
A couple’s brand-new trailer was totaled 20 minutes after they bought it on Tuesday in Poulsbo, Wash. The couple, from Auburn, Wash., were heading south on SR-3 in the center lane around 3 p.m. when the travel trailer began to sway behind their Jeep Cherokee, according to Washington State Patrol Trooper Chelsea Hodgson.

The driver told troopers she was unable to regain control and the trailer flipped over in the left lane and landed on its top. “Unbeknownst to them, the trailer has pressure treated 2×6 boards underneath, making the trailer heavier than they believed,” Hodgson said. No one was injured and no traffic citations were issued. From komonews.com.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Couple total new RV within 20 minutes of buying it...

"Brand new" and "pressure treated 2x6 boards underneath" don't add up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Link to pictures: Couple wrecks trailer on Silverdale freeway 20 minutes after buying it | KOMO

Hopefully they made a call to their insurance agent before they hitched up!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It looks to me as if the previous owner did some modification and repairs.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I haven't seen that kind of subfloor in a trailer before, but clearly, those strips are over the frame and under the interior floor. Not a modification from a previous owner. And isn't it a brand new trailer with no previous owner?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I saw more pictures on the local news but still couldn't figure out the brand or whether it was new. I'm quite surprised by the pressure treated lumber as well. I'm also guessing that there was no WDH or sway control.

"You can tow that, no problem"

Sent from my SM-T813 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
Allow me to boor you all with my continuing mantra about trailer brakes.

Always, always, always have working trailer brakes and know how to use them. Always.

This is even more important with a high center of gravity and short wheelbase vehicle like a Grand Cherokee.

Trailer sway is immediately stopped by applying the trailer brakes independently, or at least more aggressively than the TV brakes. This story is a perfect example. Fortunately, they did not injure anyone.

Not only can you control sway, but you can stop much more safely in various conditions, with trailer brakes.

OK, I'm getting back down off my soap box.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I saw more pictures on the local news but still couldn't figure out the brand or whether it was new. I'm quite surprised by the pressure treated lumber as well. I'm also guessing that there was no WDH or sway control.

Hi: Dave Fish... Was the trailer possibly the victim of a flood?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
As best I can tell, judging by the logo and the graphics, it's about a 2000 Skyline Nomad. The plywood floor appears to be black at the edges due to rot. The pressure-treated lumber underneath appears to be all 2x4 and 2x6's with Simpson-style brackets where the ends of the boards meet at the lateral frame members; maybe someone installed them from underneath to shore up the floor?

An 8' kiln-dried 2x4 weighs about 11 lbs, while pressure-treated is about 17 lbs. That's an awful lot of weight in that subfloor. Estimating it to be 7' wide x 19' long, the lumber would be about 970 lbs of additional weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Silverdale Nomad 01.jpg   Silverdale Nomad 02.jpg  

Silverdale Nomad 03.jpg   2000 Skyline Nomad 04.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Dave Fish... Was the trailer possibly the victim of a flood?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Probably not if it was local. Although Seattle is know for lots of rain, I can't think of a recent floor that would have caused that damage. Nor can I imagine someone adding that after market.

Glad we have fiberglass.

Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #11

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post

It had a mount for a sway bar...
Attached Thumbnails
Silverdale Nomad 04.jpg  

Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
...An 8' kiln-dried 2x4 weighs about 11 lbs, while pressure-treated is about 17 lbs. That's an awful lot of weight in that subfloor. Estimating it to be 7' wide x 19' long, the lumber would be about 970 lbs of additional weight.
I came up with 1400 lbs, assuming the floor was 24' long and 8' wide, which most of those larger stickies are pretty close to. I calculated that 1 board foot of pressure treated 2x6 is 3.2 lbs... the boards clearly visible in some other photos of the wreck are obviously pressure treated.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
How would one go about getting an entire subfloor of PT boards in between the existing subfloor and the frame? And further, why? If the floor is rotten, your not going to save it by putting boards under it. Those things aren't built like fiberglass trailers where you can remove the body and replace the floor.

At least the PT board weight is down low and distributed with a forward bias.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #14

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
How would one go about getting an entire subfloor of PT boards in between the existing subfloor and the frame?
Don't worry John, you probably won't have to do this on your Oliver!

Old 07-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #15

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Allow me to boor you all with my continuing mantra about trailer brakes.
Not boring, good advice. It was because of folks like you that I added brakes to my 13ft, 1999 Scamp. In order to do this efficiently, I replaced the entire axle, which, while still serviceable, was getting on towards the end of it's expected life.

I tow with a F-150, with a long wheelbase, so brakes probably were not needed, but I definitely like knowing that I have a remedy available if I ever get into a sway situation. Great peace of mind. Plus, the running gear now has another 20 years of life in it.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #16

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Don't worry John, you probably won't have to do this on your Oliver!

I hope I don't have to roll it either!
Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
RV wipes out, totaled, only 20 minutes after couple buy it

June 26, 2018 RV Staff

Photo: Washington State Patrol. (Click to enlarge.)
A couple’s brand-new trailer was totaled 20 minutes after they bought it on Tuesday in Poulsbo, Wash. The couple, from Auburn, Wash., were heading south on SR-3 in the center lane around 3 p.m. when the travel trailer began to sway behind their Jeep Cherokee, according to Washington State Patrol Trooper Chelsea Hodgson.

The driver told troopers she was unable to regain control and the trailer flipped over in the left lane and landed on its top. “Unbeknownst to them, the trailer has pressure treated 2×6 boards underneath, making the trailer heavier than they believed,” Hodgson said. No one was injured and no traffic citations were issued. From komonews.com.
This is why you have a vehicle heavy duty enough to handle the weight you are towing, have good trailer brakes and sway bar. Just because the manual says you can handle the weight doesn't mean you can do it if the trailer is to big to handle. Size is not the same as weight. A large box is harder to handle than a small heavy one.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
What a sad story but in some ways it is not at all surprising. There are quite a few people who think RV repair is done the same way you would repair a house. They think over built to withstand anything is a virtue. On one posting someone was rebuilding their bed and used a 2 x 10. Talk about overkill, using that heavy wood framing is totally the wrong way to design structure in travel trailers. Just because you have remodeled a house or built a shed does not mean that knowledge is transferable to other types of structures.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #19

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
This is why you have a vehicle heavy duty enough to handle the weight you are towing, have good trailer brakes and sway bar. Just because the manual says you can handle the weight doesn't mean you can do it if the trailer is to big to handle. Size is not the same as weight. A large box is harder to handle than a small heavy one.
Good posts Jann and Raspy!

Properly adjusted brakes, correct hitch set up, correct trailer balance, good tires inflated properly and less than 4 years old, and "ENOUGH" tug, are all very important.

Fairly recently saw a Toyota Tacoma 4WD towing a Stick Built in the neighborhood of 26-28 feet long. Brought back a saying by a friend.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

k
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I tow my 13' with my F150 4X4 extended cab, full length box truck.

I have a sway bar mounted and always use it.
Plus I pay a lot of attention to how I load everything.

I have replaced the axle and have not put brakes on yet.
Probably will over the winter.

The truck is already setup for them, so it should be an easy task.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote