coupler height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I have a hitch installation appointment on thursday and they need to know the coupler height. I've been told that i need to get it level and measure from the ground up. SO.... Up to what? Inside or outside measurement? Also, to get it level. What is the best way to do this? (my boler issue side attatched levels are broken) I dont trust the floor of my garage as it is sloped for drainage. How precise does this measurement have to be? I am very paranoid that it will be wrong and my hitch installation will be botched and rendered worthless. Is that measurement standard with similar models? If so can someone share that #? Mine is a 76 B1300 by neonex, manufactured in winnipeg (in case that matters) Thanks for tips.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Can't answer for Boler, but I believe similar Scamp 13' is 18" to top of ball or inside top of coupler.

But, that's a brand new one; as axle gets older, frame will sink a little.

Fear not; the ball mount that goes into the receiver hitch can be changed to move ball up or down.

Photos on site below, and ball mounts can be turned upside down:

http://www.etrailer.com/c-BM.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Cyndi, almost any local gas station that is not busy at the time has a level spot surrounding their pumps, I tried to level mine using the floor of the fridge. THAT takes more time (on the pad) but may prove benificial in the long run. I leveled my trailer, measured to the BOTTOM of the ball mount. Worked out to close to 13inches. This seems to be a magic number when dealing with this issue for some reason. Then again it is NOT critical to be 'bang on' level. It helps to be, but there are MANY ways available to get the ride height best suited to your 'combo'.

IF you are getting a 'stock' hitch installed in your tow, the options (for height) won't be as many as a custom designed hitch, but then again the actual 'ball' height can be altered by buying a ball of a different height.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cindy, you need not worry about them making a mess of the installation of the hitch on your car as it will be installed at the height it was made to be installed - regardless of the height of the trailer. The height of the ball will be determined by the ball receiver you purchase and attach to the hitch. You can purchase all sorts of receivers -some are straight, some have a drop and if you flip them over it will raise the ball. :-)

Go for instuctions on how to measure to determine what type of reciever you will need:

http://ballmounts.com/images/HW_ball_height_sheet2.jpg

I see you are in Vancouver. Are you having the hitch installed at Valley Hitch? If you are they will not mess it up and will help you pick the right receiver - just follow the instructions for measuring the trailer and they will figure out the rest for you.

Carol

Quote:
I have a hitch installation appointment on thursday and they need to know the coupler height. I've been told that i need to get it level and measure from the ground up. SO.... Up to what? Inside or outside measurement? Also, to get it level. What is the best way to do this? (my boler issue side attatched levels are broken) I dont trust the floor of my garage as it is sloped for drainage. How precise does this measurement have to be? I am very paranoid that it will be wrong and my hitch installation will be botched and rendered worthless. Is that measurement standard with similar models? If so can someone share that #? Mine is a 76 B1300 by neonex, manufactured in winnipeg (in case that matters) Thanks for tips.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Whoa, Doug, that sounds pretty high tech. I just did the old throw trailer on hitch, eyeball it and say 'yep, good enough'... though saying that my Toyota Mech. seems to have a knack for having things work the first time =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Cindy, you need not worry about them making a mess of the installation of the hitch on your car as it will be installed at the height it was made to be installed - regardless of the height of the trailer. The height of the ball will be determined by the ball receiver you purchase and attach to the hitch. You can purchase all sorts of receivers -some are straight, some have a drop and if you flip them over it will raise the ball. :-)

Go for instuctions on how to measure to determine what type of reciever you will need:

http://ballmounts.com/images/HW_ball_height_sheet2.jpg

I see you are in Vancouver. Are you having the hitch installed at Valley Hitch? If you are they will not mess it up and will help you pick the right receiver - just follow the instructions for measuring the trailer and they will figure out the rest for you.

Carol
Thanks. I printed that out and i'll call valley tomorrow if they are open. I'm 1/2 stressed about this, 1/2 just thinking to do my best and hope for the best. I am pushing it though, as the present appt. isnt until thursday, and i want to leave for langley egg fest on friday so not a lot of time to play with. I'm also confused as to how i can get the trailer to a level location BEFORE I get the hitch installed. Seems difficult, if not impossible. I do push it by hand to wash it, but that is only to the other side of the garage. I think i would get pulled over if i tried to push it down broadway by hand. (although i am only 3 blocks from a gas station ) So if it can be adjusted, will i be ok if i just say 13 inches like was said, hope for the best, and just get to langley? I'm sure there will be someone there who has a clue what they are doing and willing to help with the adjustment. I am anxious b/c i have never towed before, dont have an idea how to find a level spot prior to getting the hitch. I've never even used it before, it's been in the garage the whole time. I also need to confirm uhaul's price. I have been given two different ones. This last one was so much cheaper than all others i had to ask him 3 times if he had made a mistake, if he was sure that was the correct price. The stressor is the time crunch- Hitch on and leave next day. I dont even have time to learn how to tow. I am wondering about the width of the trailer, if the boler will block the view of the van and i'll need those trailer mirrors. This will be interesting......
Old 05-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If your garage floor is sloped all you have to do is get the trailer parallel to the floor for measuring. Find some straight portion along the bottom and adjust your jack until all the measurements between the trailer and the floor are the same. You can then measure the hitch.
danny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Those of us that purchased a new from-the-factory tug with tow package, didn't have the measurements for the trailer, a standard installation works just fine. As Pete mentioned, the ball mount is what you will use to put the coupler at the correct height. I'd be more concerned if someone was trying to mount the HITCH to the coupler. Adding shims, etc. sounds shaky at best. Then what would you do if you purchased a different trailer with a different coupler height... have it removed and remounted... I don't think so.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Those of us that purchased a new from-the-factory tug with tow package, didn't have the measurements for the trailer, a standard installation works just fine. As Pete mentioned, the ball mount is what you will use to put the coupler at the correct height. I'd be more concerned if someone was trying to mount the HITCH to the coupler. Adding shims, etc. sounds shaky at best. Then what would you do if you purchased a different trailer with a different coupler height... have it removed and remounted... I don't think so.
I hope that is the case, this part is giving me a headache. I have a floor that is sloped both directions, so I wonder if i have to jack it up, can i jack it on both sides? Plus i only have one jack so can i use the factory issued sure-foot's? I like the idea that a standard installation is fine. I was also thinking that perhaps i could buy both couplers(?) (the drop and rise versions) and return the one i dont need. I have grey hair now.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I like the idea that a standard installation is fine. I was also thinking that perhaps i could buy both couplers(?) (the drop and rise versions) and return the one i dont need. I have grey hair now.
I think you're talking about the receiver. To get a rise version, you flip the drop version over. You only need one. For instance a 4" drop will often give you a 2" rise when flipped over.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
No need to get grey hair over it. That will come soon enough with or without the trailer. Trust me!

There IMHO are only few things you/they really need to know before they mount the hitch. What size is the ball you will need to match the trailer and the weight of the trailer? The answer to those two questions will have an impact on what class of hitch they put on your tow.

Once they decide what class of hitch you need then they will be able to tell you what the size of the receiver mount is on the hitch. Once you know that then you will have to make sure that any ball mount/receiver you purchase matches that size. They come in a couple of different sizes - depending on what class and make of hitch you get.
You will also have to note the size of the hole on the Ball Mount/Receiver you purchase to make sure the size of the bolt on the Ball you purchase fits in the hole.

Your idea to purchase a couple of different ball mounts/receivers is a good one - but wait until you know what size the hitch they are mounting takes. U-Haul sells ball mounts and they are normally a bit cheaper than Canadian Tire or Walmart.
If you are going to error on the towing level IMHO I would error with the tongue of the trailer ending up slightly down rather than pointed up. I purchased my trailer in Idaho and only had one reciever with me - to the eye it looked pretty level and I towed it without a problem back to Vancouver. I later changed the ball mount to drop it an 1 1/2" and noted a better tow.

I towed my trailer all over the Island last summer on my own, including a couple of ferry rides. I have even towed it through downtown during rush hour more than once. You will be suprised at how fast you will become comfortable with towing. Just keep your distant from the car ahead until you get use to stopping and keep the speed down on the freeway and you will arrive safe and sound at the meet.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you at Langley. You are right there will be lots of folks there willing to give you there ideas on the best height.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
I hope that is the case, this part is giving me a headache. I have a floor that is sloped both directions, so I wonder if i have to jack it up, can i jack it on both sides? Plus i only have one jack so can i use the factory issued sure-foot's? I like the idea that a standard installation is fine. I was also thinking that perhaps i could buy both couplers(?) (the drop and rise versions) and return the one i dont need. I have grey hair now.
Yes, what Danny said. Parallel to surface is all that is needed to get a measurement. You mentioned above that your floor slopes in both directions, so may need to move it if the slope is that much. I am also very particular about things, so I know that you want it to be right, but keep in mind that most ball mounts are sold by amount of drop in one inch increments and you won't get it to the 1/4 inch accurate anyway. If you have to error, error on the side of front being 1/4 inch low as a opposed to 1/4 high. Anything less than 1 inch either way is better than most trailers you see going down the road (although that doesn't make it right).

Good Luck, Dean

Oh, on the grey hair thing, I only wish I had grey hair or any color for that matter.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Don't worry if the floor slopes side to side, the axle will be parallel to the floor. Just find any line on the trailer that runs straight from front to rear and get it parallel to the floor using the hitch jack. You don't even have to measure if you're using some line along the side, just mark it on a board, stick, whatever.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have been using the same bar that I used on previous vehicle. The pick up seems to be an inch or so higher but has caused no problems since I don't live in it when on the road and it clears the bump at end of driveway OK. The old crank-up always dragged over it and it towed level. Am having a NEW axle put on trailer and expect it to raise the Boler a couple of inches back to original height. Guess sometimes things just work themselves out.
Well, We'll see how she goes when she tows.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #15

Registry
[quote]
No need to get grey hair over it. That will come soon enough with or without the trailer. Trust me!

There IMHO are only few things you/they really need to know before they mount the hitch. What size is the ball you will need to match the trailer and the weight of the trailer? The answer to those two questions will have an impact on what class of hitch they put on your tow.
Once they decide what class of hitch you need then they will be able to tell you what the size of the receiver mount is on the hitch. Once you know that then you will have to make sure that any ball mount/receiver you purchase matches that size. They come in a couple of different sizes - depending on what class and make of hitch you get.
You will also have to note the size of the hole on the Ball Mount/Receiver you purchase to make sure the size of the bolt on the Ball you purchase fits in the hole.

Your idea to purchase a couple of different ball mounts/receivers is a good one - but wait until you know what size the hitch they are mounting takes. U-Haul sells ball mounts and they are normally a bit cheaper than Canadian Tire or Walmart.
If you are going to error on the towing level IMHO I would error with the tongue of the trailer ending up slightly down rather than pointed up. I purchased my trailer in Idaho and only had one reciever with me - to the eye it looked pretty level and I towed it without a problem back to Vancouver. I later changed the ball mount to drop it an 1 1/2" and noted a better tow.

I towed my trailer all over the Island last summer on my own, including a couple of ferry rides. I have even towed it through downtown during rush hour more than once. You will be suprised at how fast you will become comfortable with towing. Just keep your distant from the car ahead until you get use to stopping and keep the speed down on the freeway and you will arrive safe and sound at the meet.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you at Langley. You are right there will be lots of folks there willing to give you there ideas on the best height.

Carol

There is so much help and answers to questions available here. It is too bad that i dont speak this language yet and dont have a clue what anyone is talking about. (well 1/2 the time anyway) I dont even know if the size of ball mount has anything to do with my trailer hitch. Do they have to match up? I was always assuming so. If so what now, go down and measure the hole? Geeesh. I sure hope the trailer hitch people can handle this b/c i think i will do my best to measure and hope for the best. I am really doubting whether i can get them the correct info.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
I dont even know if the size of ball mount has anything to do with my trailer hitch. Do they have to match up? I was always assuming so. If so what now, go down and measure the hole?
Older small trailers used a 1 7/8" ball sometimes but a 2" is common size also . You may find the ball size stamped on the top of the hitch.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Cyndi,

Here's life as I see it, but I HAVE been wrong before, LOL

Take your vehicle into the hitch shop, they should ask you WHAT you plan to tow with this vehicle. Tell them everything you know about the trailer, size, weight etc.
IF you are getting a receiver type hitch installed, it won't matter ANYTHING about the hitch at this time. They will supply/install a hitch and IF you ask'em nicely may recommend the correct size ball mount. The ball size is determined by the size of the hole (the inverted, upside down part) on the very front part of the trailer tongue/tow bar. Usually 1 and 7/8th inch, but could be different. You need to get a ball that'll fit right in that spot. Usually the tops od the balls are stamped with their size. The 'ball mount' is the part of the hitch that the ball bolts onto AND slips into the receiver of the hitch.

Is WIRING included in this venture???? This can be another saga.....
I'm sendin you a personal message...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Cyndi,

Here's life as I see it, but I HAVE been wrong before, LOL

Take your vehicle into the hitch shop, they should ask you WHAT you plan to tow with this vehicle. Tell them everything you know about the trailer, size, weight etc.
IF you are getting a receiver type hitch installed, it won't matter ANYTHING about the hitch at this time. They will supply/install a hitch and IF you ask'em nicely may recommend the correct size ball mount. The ball size is determined by the size of the hole (the inverted, upside down part) on the very front part of the trailer tongue/tow bar. Usually 1 and 7/8th inch, but could be different. You need to get a ball that'll fit right in that spot. Usually the tops od the balls are stamped with their size. The 'ball mount' is the part of the hitch that the ball bolts onto AND slips into the receiver of the hitch.

Is WIRING included in this venture???? This can be another saga.....
I'm sendin you a personal message...
OK, i'll check that out. Tomorrow. It shouldn't be that difficult now i've had a nap
Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #19

Ooops! I used the wrong word in my last post. To determine your ball size look on the top of the coupler on the trailer. The hitch is what bolts onto your vehicle. The ball size for the coupler should be stamped on the top where you see the label on new couplers.

Picture of coupler