Crossing Chains - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #1

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Question Crossing Chains

While at a recent meet, I looked down while someone was hitching up and noticed their chains were not crossed under the tongue. When I went to show them how to cross their chains, I could not do it because it was the old style where the chain is bolted to the top of the tongue with a single bolt and the two ends of chain extend from there.

Any suggestions on how to do this properly? My assumption is that each section of chain needs one attachment on either side of the tongue to cross. Or am I missing something obvious?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I don't believe I have seen the configuration you are describing. Was the single bolt horizontal or vertical. If vertical, it might be possible to move the chains to the bottom side of the tongue.

Sometimes it is not possible to get what looks like crossed chains. I have one utility trailer that has both chains on a single bolt under the hitch. Crossing the chains doesn't appear to accomplish much with the chains right next to each other on the same bolt. I still cross them and that's all I can do without attaching the chains in a different manner.

In the situation you describe, I would take the chains over opposite sides of the tongue, then cross them underneath the tongue and attach to TV.

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The only purpose for crossing the chains to keep the tongue off the ground should hitch separate from the ball, or other failure of the hitch.
If the chains are attached at a single point under the hitch crossing them will still provide a place for tongue catch off the ground. What I would do in this case is twist them a couple times. If chains are attached at a single point on top of the tongue then bring each chain under the tongue and cross over to the other side to connect to hitch. This actually provides very nice basket to hold the up if it becomes unhitched.
FYI... It's law in some states that there are two chains and they are to be crossed in such a manner to keep the tongue off the road if it should come unhitched.
I doubt you'd get a ticket for it, but if the trailer should come unhitched and a lot of damage is done to the road guess who get pay for the repairs.

Byron
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
When I went to show them how to cross their chains, I could not do it because it was the old style where the chain is bolted to the top of the tongue with a single bolt and the two ends of chain extend from there.

Any suggestions on how to do this properly?
Would the problem be that the chain ends were to short to cross under the tongue without binding?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
While at a recent meet, I looked down while someone was hitching up and noticed their chains were not crossed under the tongue. When I went to show them how to cross their chains, I could not do it because it was the old style where the chain is bolted to the top of the tongue with a single bolt and the two ends of chain extend from there.

Any suggestions on how to do this properly? My assumption is that each section of chain needs one attachment on either side of the tongue to cross. Or am I missing something obvious?
Scamp still uses a vertical centered single point attachment, something I remedied shortly after delivery.
Not only because of attaining a better "cradle" but also because the loss of only one bolt won't release the trailer in a "hop-off"
Old 09-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If chains are attached at a single point on top of the tongue then bring each chain under the tongue and cross over to the other side to connect to hitch. This actually provides very nice basket to hold the up if it becomes unhitched.
That's exactly the answer I was looking for. What you say makes sense. It just didn't look right. I'm used to the cradle being formed from two points of attachment ithe the "X" or crossover between to catch the tongue should it drop.

Now if I can only remember who it was that I was helping.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Floyd,
As I have a Scamp also, exactly how did you remedy the single point attachment without putting more holes in the tongue and making it weaker ?

Thank You

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp still uses a vertical centered single point attachment, something I remedied shortly after delivery.
Not only because of attaining a better "cradle" but also because the loss of only one bolt won't release the trailer in a "hop-off"
Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Floyd,
As I have a Scamp also, exactly how did you remedy the single point attachment without putting more holes in the tongue and making it weaker ?

Thank You

Bill K
Loaded question[lol] but if you are concerned about a single 5/16th" hole on each side,....

then simply weld the chain onto each side or weld a threaded open link on each side unto which to connect the chain... or weld a small plate to each side, drill it, and bolt the chains to the plates . Another way would be to drill an approriate sized whole through the frame on each side,slip a piece of pipe through the hole and backweld it, leaving a reinforced hole to put a bolt through. Or you could build a bracket from a piece of plate, bolt it across the frame, either with "U" bolts or the tongue jack bolts. OR you could drill the angle iron which is welded underneath to support the battery and propane tank. Or you could bend a small clamp for each side to go around the frame. Or you could weld a piece of angle iron across under the frame behind the coupler, leaving just enough on each side to drill and attach the chain.
You could even attach the chain to the two outboard bolts used to attach the tongue jack [if you have a vertical jack].

Of course you could leave it alone and always make sure that your hitch is in good shape and properly attached which is probably safe enough anyway.
Regards; Floyd
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Floyd, I think you just overloaded my brain with all those ideas. LOL

Thanks

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Loaded question[lol] but if you are concerned about a single 5/16th" hole on each side,....

then simply weld the chain onto each side or weld a threaded open link on each side unto which to connect the chain... or weld a small plate to each side, drill it, and bolt the chains to the plates . Another way would be to drill an approriate sized whole through the frame on each side,slip a piece of pipe through the hole and backweld it, leaving a reinforced hole to put a bolt through. Or you could build a bracket from a piece of plate, bolt it across the frame, either with "U" bolts or the tongue jack bolts. OR you could drill the angle iron which is welded underneath to support the battery and propane tank. Or you could bend a small clamp for each side to go around the frame. Or you could weld a piece of angle iron across under the frame behind the coupler, leaving just enough on each side to drill and attach the chain.
You could even attach the chain to the two outboard bolts used to attach the tongue jack [if you have a vertical jack].

Of course you could leave it alone and always make sure that your hitch is in good shape and properly attached which is probably safe enough anyway.
Regards; Floyd