Cushioned trailer ball mounts??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cushioned trailer ball mounts???

I am going to invest in a new ball mount for my type III hitch & recently received a Cabela's catalog showing one with polyurethane cushions...one on either side (fore & aft) of the 5/8" pin hole. Apparently the pin hole is in a metal block that "floats" between these two poly blocks. Supposed to eliminate a lot of the jolts when starting/stopping.

Has anybody had any experience with these?? The theory sounds great.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:53 PM   #2

Hi
Welcome to this forum.:wave The idea that you have there sounds good.I have never seen one but will make a point of asking my friend who is a RV teck.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:00 AM   #3

Welcome Dick!

Howdy! Welcome to the group!

I've seen those cushioned ballmounts ... and agree, the theory seems sound.

While we don't have a lot of jolts and jerks towing these little fiberglass wonders ... I've wondered if one of these cushioned ballmounts would lessen the stress on the trailer.

No, I've never had any stress related problems, and we've towed three of these little fiberglass trailers, averaging more than 100 nights a year and thousands of miles.

But, the cushioned ballmount intrigued me as another way for me to spend money.

If you go that route ... give us a report, ok?

Old 02-06-2003, 07:09 AM   #4

Jolts and Jerks

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts
While we don't have a lot of jolts and jerks towing these little fiberglass wonders ... 0
Sadly, I AM one the jerks towing a fiberglass wonder.:wak

Old 02-06-2003, 07:25 AM   #5

Hmmm

>>jolts and jerks towing

Hmmmm. Should have paid more attention in high school grammer.

Is jolt the female derivative of jerk?;)

But, Steve ... shouldn't your response have been:

"Happily, I am one of the jerks towing" instead of "Sadly I'm one"?

I know I'm happy whenever I'm the jerk towing my trailer.

Ok, ok, probably should have said that usually towing a lightweight fiberglass rig is a "smooth" experience," not a rough one.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:03 AM   #6

Towing

I am indeed happy when towing my trailer, its my jerk-iness I'm sad about. Witness how I've jerked Dick's topic off the straight and narrow.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #7

ball mounts with cushion

I saw one in an add. caught my eye enough to stop and read it. if it works, I want one, but I was afraid it was too good to be true and would wear out guickly if it did work. but I don't know why, it's just my glass was half empty that day.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:06 PM   #8

Hmm

Hmmm, since some many of us saw the new type ballmount ... I guess we gotta get one of the rich guys on here to buy one and let us know how it works!

You know, one of those rich guys with one of those Honda generators and a shiny silver carry box.

They're the ones with money to burn.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:36 AM   #9

Fire for effect

Quote:

Hmmm, since some many of us saw the new type ballmount ... I guess we gotta get one of the rich guys on here to buy one and let us know how it works!

You know, one of those rich guys with one of those Honda generators and a shiny silver carry box.

They're the ones with money to burn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh Mr. Webmaster
We had a clear view of that missile lifting off from Dunlap, IL, headed straight for you on the west coast. Yet no responce. Are you asleep :zz ?

Old 02-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Orginally posted by Larry and Sherrin Delk
Oh Mr. Webmaster
We had a clear view of that missile lifting off from Dunlap, IL, headed straight for you on the west coast. Yet no responce. Are you asleep :zz ?
Good Morning. What’d I miss?

Old 02-07-2003, 10:49 AM   #11

>>what did I miss

We all decided you should buy Lori one of these cushioned-ballmounts for Valentine's Day ... and let us know how it worked after the Winter Wienie rally.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:26 PM   #12

Welllll...

I'm not well-heeled, don't have a neat little Honda generator or a silver box to keep it in, but...I think I can convince the other half this is a "must have" so will probably order it. Although you guys (generic) haven't exactly answered my ???, I appreciate your feedback! Will submit a full report at a later date.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #13

Thanks!

Thanks Dick ... someone has to go first!

Hey, do you have a sway bar bracket and small ball welded on your existing ballmount?

I do and would have to move it over to the new cushioned ballmount, should I go that route.

I saw at a Bubba's RV store a little piece of steel, complete with two holes, made for folks like me who have no access to a welder. Not sure if that would work, either, because I couldn't figure out how the bar would stay at a right angle under stress.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help.

The cushioned ball mount does look like a interesting device ... I thought that from the first time I saw it!

Old 02-09-2003, 11:14 AM   #14

Hmmm....

IMHO I think these are for much larger rigs then our fiberglass wonders.

On Rigs like ours this could mask a loose ball.

Michale knows all about what a loose ball feels is like. He now carries a big wrench.

Old 02-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #15

Sway Bar Attachment

Quote:
I saw at a Bubba's RV store a little piece of steel, complete with two holes, made for folks like me who have no access to a welder. Not sure if that would work, either, because I couldn't figure out how the bar would stay at a right angle under stress.
I have one of these and so far it works fine. I check tightness often and all seems well. Mine has two down turned flanges that hug the hitch bar down where the trailer ball is attached. They are designed to keep it at 90 degrees. At the time of purchase I couldn't find a socket that fit the trailer ball nut so I used the opportunity buy the biggest adjustable wrench Sears makes. Whoo Boy! Any excuse for a new tool.