Decent tow vehicle... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #43

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Honestly, if I could buy a Titan with a manual behind that sweet 5.6 V8, I'd do it. No such offer though.
I was thinking the same with the F150 SVT Raptor.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #44

Name: Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Manual or Automatic?

It seems like over the years, I've often heard that automatics are better to tow with, than a standard. I actually prefer a standard transmission - so for y'all out there with more experience hauling fiberglass trailers - which do you prefer, and why?

"If I name my Trillium the Fiberglass Falcon - will Darth Vader come after me?"

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Manuals are fine for towing except for (1) backing up and positioning your trailer, this may cause some clutch smoke, particularly if on an incline (2) hilly terrain necessitating frequent shift changes.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #46
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
towing vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwykes View Post
... Proud new owners of a Boler here, and we've never owned an RV before. Now that we have one (which we'll be picking up next month) we're realizing there's much to learn (and do!), beginning with finding a vehicle to tow it. It's looking like we're going to have to sell our current car (Saturn Ion with a weight capacity of 850 lbs.) and move on to something that'll make the long haul to get our Boler home. I'm a little confused on weight and towing and it'll probably require someone to walk me through all those calculations, as seen on other threads, with Boler and car physically present. (The words on the screen aren't really registering -- I need someone who can explain it in ultra layman's terms.)

At any rate, our door is wide open for a vehicle purchase, limited only by budget. We've always been used car people (we've never had an SUV) and would like to keep as fuel efficient as possible. If anyone can give us suggestions/opinions on the topic of tow vehicles and what we should be looking at tow capacity-wise, we'd much appreciate it. (We're currently looking at Subarus.) ** Note that our Boler pick-up trip is quite a haul, which will also be our first camping trip with it (2400km/one week of traveling through a very rural area). Safety is key.
Hi .... I'm very new to this site ( been reading a lot ) - really great place for info . I notice you are in the Yukon , I 'm guessing that you'll be doing a fair bit of mountain driving . We've found over many years that the vehicle weight does make a big difference and we always like a couple of thousand lbs more towing capacity than actually stated by the vehicle info ( easier on gas too ) . But we are probably fairly wimpy types and like a good safety margin in most things .
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #47

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Ahhh come on now. I think a Yugo would be a great tow vehicle.

Small Car towing caravan crashes - YouTube
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #48
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Ahhh come on now. I think a Yugo would be a great tow vehicle.

Small Car towing caravan crashes - YouTube
doesn't seem right to laugh ........... but it's hard - really
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #49

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I won't lie.... I laughed.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
But the Yugo is European and has a European Tow rating of infinity and beyond!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #51

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
But the Yugo is European and has a European Tow rating of infinity and beyond!
Just like Buzz Lightyear... You just couldn't convince him that he was a TOY!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #52

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auchtober View Post
It seems like over the years, I've often heard that automatics are better to tow with, than a standard. I actually prefer a standard transmission - so for y'all out there with more experience hauling fiberglass trailers - which do you prefer, and why?

"If I name my Trillium the Fiberglass Falcon - will Darth Vader come after me?"
One could probably argue that if a driver is not very skilled with a clutch and manual gearchanges, then yes, an automatic transmission might be better for towing ( or general driving for that matter ).

Virtually every class 8 truck ( like your typical eighteen wheeler ) you see on the road is a manual transmission. So what does that suggest to us regarding "towing" ?

Personally I prefer manual gearboxes. I always have....and I've been driving for 46 years, so I will probably prefer manual gearchanging for the rest of my driving life.

Having said that, some of the "light duty" vehicles, like Ford Ranger have a lower tow rating for their "trucks" with a manual gearbox. Most likely because those use a fairly small clutch and a rather weak transmission. It's really more of a car tranny and clutch to be honest.
So if buying a given vehicle, and debating whether to get a automatic or manual, one should at least consider what the mfr recco's regarding the subject.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #53

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:

Having said that, some of the "light duty" vehicles, like Ford Ranger have a lower tow rating for their "trucks" with a manual gearbox. Most likely because those use a fairly small clutch and a rather weak transmission. It's really more of a car tranny and clutch to be honest.
So if buying a given vehicle, and debating whether to get a automatic or manual, one should at least consider what the mfr recco's regarding the subject.
The manual transmissions are often rated lower because the manufacturer assumes that the driver doesn't know how to properly use the clutch. Just like the army severely underrates their trucks in an attempt to prevent stupid accidents.

I used to tow a goose neck with the notorious M5OD and never burned the clutch, melted a syncro or stripped the horribly weak reverse gear. But, that was driving "carefully" to say the least.

If one tries hard enough, one can break anything. I shattered the case on my Blazer's th400.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #54

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
One could probably argue that if a driver is not very skilled with a clutch and manual gearchanges, then yes, an automatic transmission might be better for towing ( or general driving for that matter ).

Virtually every class 8 truck ( like your typical eighteen wheeler ) you see on the road is a manual transmission. So what does that suggest to us regarding "towing" ?

Personally I prefer manual gearboxes. I always have....and I've been driving for 46 years, so I will probably prefer manual gearchanging for the rest of my driving life.

The transmission in my Ranger is the same one offered in the fullsized F150. The clutch is 10-1/8". the differential is an 8.8"LS (same again as the fullsized truck)
The 2.3L engine came with a smaller 9" clutch and a 7.5" differential which was the equivalent of it's direct competition such as the Tacoma.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #55

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
The F150 also had a much lower tow rating with a manual that it did with an auto.
In 2006 the F150 had a tow rating as low as 2300 pounds ( V6 manual, 3:31 ), or as high as 5700 ( V6, auto, 3.73 ). Or higher with a V8 and auto.

I looked at them at the time, and really wanted a midsize truck, with a V6 and manual, so I bought a Nissan Frontier. It's tow rating is the same with a manual or auto ( 6100 pounds for 4WD, 6300 pounds for 2WD ).

I'm not trying to bash Ford, but it seems they have given up on the idea of high strength manual transmissions in their trucks. They had a winner in the ZF gearboxes that were in the SD trucks a few years ago, and my gosh, let's be real here, they KNOW how to spec a STRONG manual gearbox. The Tremec TKO600 is rated for 600 ft-lbs of torque. The Mustang hot rods guys use and abuse that tranny mercilessly.

I'm just a manual tranny kind of guy, and it irritates me that the marketplace here in north america has pretty much gone to slushboxes in small/midsize trucks. In my opinion, these trucks in the Frontier/Ranger/Tacoma size are a very good choice for normal day to day use, and for towing of these smaller campers. I just wish I could spec them out more to my liking. For instance, when I bought my Frontier, I really wanted leather seats. Ha ! ....if I wanted leather, I had to get the LE version, and it was automatic only ! Grrr !

Again, I'm not trying to bash Rangers or F150's.

george
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #56

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
The F150 also had a much lower tow rating with a manual that it did with an auto.
In 2006 the F150 had a tow rating as low as 2300 pounds ( V6 manual, 3:31 ), or as high as 5700 ( V6, auto, 3.73 ). Or higher with a V8 and auto.

I looked at them at the time, and really wanted a midsize truck, with a V6 and manual, so I bought a Nissan Frontier. It's tow rating is the same with a manual or auto ( 6100 pounds for 4WD, 6300 pounds for 2WD ).

I'm not trying to bash Ford, but it seems they have given up on the idea of high strength manual transmissions in their trucks. They had a winner in the ZF gearboxes that were in the SD trucks a few years ago, and my gosh, let's be real here, they KNOW how to spec a STRONG manual gearbox. The Tremec TKO600 is rated for 600 ft-lbs of torque. The Mustang hot rods guys use and abuse that tranny mercilessly.

I'm just a manual tranny kind of guy, and it irritates me that the marketplace here in north america has pretty much gone to slushboxes in small/midsize trucks. In my opinion, these trucks in the Frontier/Ranger/Tacoma size are a very good choice for normal day to day use, and for towing of these smaller campers. I just wish I could spec them out more to my liking. For instance, when I bought my Frontier, I really wanted leather seats. Ha ! ....if I wanted leather, I had to get the LE version, and it was automatic only ! Grrr !

Again, I'm not trying to bash Rangers or F150's.

george
I know your frustrations...The car makers just don't care what you want as an individual,Their attitude is... If you want it your way, go to BurgerKing!
I waited 2.5 years for my truck to be built the way I wanted it. Even then it was just serendipity, since it could not be ordered.
Still after 11 years and 145,000 miles of hard use, it has proven to be well worth the wait. Here's pics from last July....
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG   july4t2.JPG