Decent tow vehicle... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #57
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
......The car makers just don't care what you want as an individual,Their attitude is... If you want it your way, go to BurgerKing!
Simply not true. One of the big drivers in improving quality is reducing complexity.

Let me give you an example. Let's say that you work on the assembly line. A truck comes to your station and you need to install a door panel. Do you pick the one with manual windows and power door locks? Maybe electric windows and power door locks. Or maybe power windows and no power door locks. And is it a base, XL or XLT trim level? How about color? Tan, grey, black or red? Multiply this complexity by wiring harnesses, engines, transmissions, driveshafts, 4x2 and 4x4, regular, super cab and crew cab, seating options and tire and wheel combinations and you end up building a million unique vehicles. Added engineering and tooling costs like crazy for all the extra parts. With a line speed of 80 or more jobs per hour, costly mistakes and rebuilds at the end of the line.

I appreciate your frustration with not being able to custom order a vehicle "your way", but I assure you that it is not indifference on the part of the manufacturers. I'd argue that today's cars and trucks are a much better value than they have ever been in terms of content, quality and cost. Part of the driver for that improvement is standardization into discrete packages of options.

Rant on........

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #58
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
The Rangers are nice trucks. That's a good looking one for sure. It's a shame they have decided to stop making them. Same with the S10. About the time they got the S10 "right" ( like the Extreme version ), they dropped it and came out with the Colorado.

For me though, I need a crew cab. The closest Ford came to it a few years ago for me was the sport-trac....but again, they were automatics.

I think in a way, we can blame the Japanese for this newer style of manufacturing these vehicles this way. They figured out many years ago that it was more profitable to build cars with common "packages". It streamlined the production process greatly, and they found with careful marketing, people bought them whether the were "exactly" what they wanted or not. The American ( and european ) manufacturers followed suit....and here we are today with choices that end up being dictated by the majority. Product by committee so to speak.

The good news too about something like your Ranger is they are not terribly difficult to work on, so you can keep them a good long time, and when repairs are needed, it doesn't break the bank.
We've also got a F350 super duty that we pull a 35' horse trailer ( and also a flatdeck ) with. These newer style SD Fords are very labor intensive to work on. Sheesh....half the motor is shoved back under/into the firewall.....they are simply very costly to work on.

So back to the original point of this thread, I think a person when shopping should be honest with themself when thinking about how long they plan to keep the tow vehicle, and consider what the longer term repair costs will be once out of warranty.

This is a definite cost advantage of campers in this category: we can get by with reasonable tow vehicles.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #59
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
Jenn, since you do not have a tow vehicle yet, you can make sure that you will be within the capacities before buying one.

I can tell you that there is a lot more weight to deal with than you think when starting to look at it so you need to allow plenty of leeway. From everything I have read, this is the number one rule I would use when buying a TV:
Get one that weighs (curb weight) considerably more than the loaded trailer weight you expect to tow. That alone is likely to put you in a good place.

Some vehicles have a towing capacity that requires you to subtract whatever you put in the car including passengers, fuel, cargo. Others may allow a few hundred pounds and then you subtract the rest of what you load from your towing capacity. Your towing vehicle is also bearing the tongue weight of the trailer. Invariably, people look at the towing capacity of the vehicle, look at the weight of the trailer with nothing in it and conclude that the vehicle is sufficient when it is nowhere near.

All of your weight has to be added up for both trailer and vehicle. Each has its own capacity and then there is a total for both together. It's a lot for you to figure out in a short time. But please get the numbers from someone before you get the vehicle. Dealers cannot be relied on for anything regarding towing capacity.

Those Bolers are really something! You will be having a lot of fun with it.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #60
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
When I posted that last post, the end of the post disappeared off of it! I don't remember what else I said now. Short memory.

Jenn, those Bolers are something! Have fun with it.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #61
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Sorry Carol- I apologize in advance for my incredible lack of ability to resist but: The wind was strong enough to blow a semi around and you were driving one of those Australian SUVs called a Super-Roo, towing a Fiberglass trailer and you hadn't noticed the wind?

methinks a bit more coffee may have been in order to acquire some alertness!
Actually a properly connected, mid sized SUV towing a somewhat aerodynamic trailer does very well resisting high winds/gusts.....
Windy day towing in Nebraska - YouTube

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote