Decent tow vehicle... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Jenn
Trailer: Boler 73
Yukon
Posts: 6
Decent tow vehicle...

... Proud new owners of a Boler here, and we've never owned an RV before. Now that we have one (which we'll be picking up next month) we're realizing there's much to learn (and do!), beginning with finding a vehicle to tow it. It's looking like we're going to have to sell our current car (Saturn Ion with a weight capacity of 850 lbs.) and move on to something that'll make the long haul to get our Boler home. I'm a little confused on weight and towing and it'll probably require someone to walk me through all those calculations, as seen on other threads, with Boler and car physically present. (The words on the screen aren't really registering -- I need someone who can explain it in ultra layman's terms.)

At any rate, our door is wide open for a vehicle purchase, limited only by budget. We've always been used car people (we've never had an SUV) and would like to keep as fuel efficient as possible. If anyone can give us suggestions/opinions on the topic of tow vehicles and what we should be looking at tow capacity-wise, we'd much appreciate it. (We're currently looking at Subarus.) ** Note that our Boler pick-up trip is quite a haul, which will also be our first camping trip with it (2400km/one week of traveling through a very rural area). Safety is key.
__________________

__________________
jwykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Member
 
DavArl's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Posts: 45
The Subaru Forrester is rated to pull 2400lbs with a tongue weight of 200lbs. Not sure what a Boler weighs but I'm going to be using my Forrester once we settle on a FG. I like the Forrester a lot. It's rated at about 27mpg and I like the AWD.
__________________

__________________
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Posts: 91
Well you can't go wrong with a Subaru, I think most here that own one use the forester. You want to look at towing capacity and if the manufacturer says yes or no. A potential rule of thumb is take the trailer weight and add about 200lb to account for gear, if it has a holding tank for water 1L=1kg, I forget the conversion to Lbs.

Tounge weight is the weight that will be supported on the hitch ball, usually max is between 200-500lbs.

You don't need a big SUV, I have one of the new FJ Cruisers and towed a Trillium just fine. Even a small pick uo will be fine.

I think anything in the LEgacy line up of subaru with the 6 would be fine, Any number of the small SUVs and trucks would be perfecty capable to, just look in the owners manual and see what it says.

Addition equipment I would also suggest being added to any vehicle you choose to purchase would be having an aux transmission cooler installed if it is an automatic, a quality brake controler for the trailer brakes, proper wiring for the brakes and 12v supply to charge the trailer batt.
__________________
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
If your Boler is a 13, you might consider a good used 2006 or newer Ford Escape 4Cyl. A 2009 or newer would be even better with it's improved automatic and larger 170HP 4Cyl engine. This choice would yield GREAT reliability and fuel economy, along with good utility and comfort.

We often tow our 13 deluxe Scamp with our 2008 Escape 4CYL 5spd manual.
We are well satisfied with it's performance and price... and the fuel economy when towing is amazing.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Any small v-6 SUV or even a 4 cyl Tacoma
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
A Subaru Outback basic can take 2800lbs total and 200 tongue weight - the next up version has a 3000lb tow rating. I can attest through thousands of miles of towing with one that the Outback is a good choose for the small trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 366
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwykes View Post
... Proud new owners of a Boler here, and we've never owned an RV before. Now that we have one (which we'll be picking up next month) we're realizing there's much to learn (and do!), beginning with finding a vehicle to tow it. It's looking like we're going to have to sell our current car (Saturn Ion with a weight capacity of 850 lbs.) and move on to something that'll make the long haul to get our Boler home. I'm a little confused on weight and towing and it'll probably require someone to walk me through all those calculations, as seen on other threads, with Boler and car physically present. (The words on the screen aren't really registering -- I need someone who can explain it in ultra layman's terms.)

At any rate, our door is wide open for a vehicle purchase, limited only by budget. We've always been used car people (we've never had an SUV) and would like to keep as fuel efficient as possible. If anyone can give us suggestions/opinions on the topic of tow vehicles and what we should be looking at tow capacity-wise, we'd much appreciate it. (We're currently looking at Subarus.) ** Note that our Boler pick-up trip is quite a haul, which will also be our first camping trip with it (2400km/one week of traveling through a very rural area). Safety is key.
Our 1974 Boler actually weighed about 1500 pounds fully loaded for camping, and we kept about 150 pounds on the hitch weight. Class 1 towing is 2000 pounds, which is the lightest standard. So, virtually any vehicle that is rated to tow Class 1 or higher can probably tow your Boler, unless the previous owner did modifications that substantially increased the trailer's weight. I have always had minivans, but I have seen them towed with many different kinds of vehciles. I am referring to a 13 foot Boler, not the bigger ones.

Rick G.
__________________
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Hi Jenn, I see this was your first post and I just wanted to welcome you to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here. You'll find lots of opinions and help here... from kind folks.

I can't and won't help with your question because I tow my Scamp with a PU and monster V8.

Good luck on your vehicle decision.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
841K9's Avatar
 
Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Posts: 230
Though you can tow with a car (yes, a Subaru outback is a car), it is far more comfortable in a truck or SUV. Weight is king. The heavier the tow vehicle, the better it will feel. Cars are low profile and your Boler is not. Wind resistance is a big deal when dragging something down the highway.

I've owned several RV's ranging from a Coleman Taos to a 30' Sandpiper and my current Scamp 13'. My 1 ton Work truck has lived most of its life with a 4,000lb box trailer attached to it.
__________________
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
My little four cylinder has no trouble towing a fiberglass trailer.

Last year at the Fiberglass Rally in PEI there were probably 30 Bolers being towed by all kinds of vehicles. Across the street from me was a Boler 13 being towed by a 1954 Mercury.

The Mercury had less torque and horsepower than my Honda and weighed about the same. The guy had been towing the Boler with it for decades without issues. His Boler had surge brakes.

The Maritime rally is being held in New Brunswick this July and is well worth attending.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,309
Registry
Here ya go. This should tow your trailer just fine.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Though you can tow with a car (yes, a Subaru outback is a car), it is far more comfortable in a truck or SUV. Weight is king. The heavier the tow vehicle, the better it will feel. Cars are low profile and your Boler is not. Wind resistance is a big deal when dragging something down the highway.
LOL - trust me my Outback is a very comfortable ride and wind is not an issue - this winter while in Nevada a semi end up side ways across the highway in front of me - could not figure out why until I got out of my car while waiting for the highway patrol to clean it up - windy you bet! & yep I was pulling a trailer & hadnt even noticed the wind. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Jenn
Trailer: Boler 73
Yukon
Posts: 6
Thanks all!

(Byron -- LOL, how's the fuel economy on that thing?) There's much to consider here. (Q. I'm assuming a 4 cyl. engine can do it as long as it has a decent tow capacity? And which 4 cyl. cars out there have that capacity?) I'm a bit bummed that I have to sell my current car as I've grown a bit attached to it, but my mechanic says 'no way'. On-line look-up says 1000 lbs. I'd like to go with a car for fuel efficiency purposes but don't want to waste the time browsing through things that aren't going to suit my purpose. So far I've come up with the Outback/Legacy and of course the Forester, which is also fuel efficient among the SUVs -- thanks to all who gave me a run down on what's out there on the Subaru line and thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome.
__________________
jwykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL - trust me my Outback is a very comfortable ride and wind is not an issue - this winter while in Nevada a semi end up side ways across the highway in front of me - could not figure out why until I got out of my car while waiting for the highway patrol to clean it up - windy you bet! & yep I was pulling a trailer & hadnt even noticed the wind. ;-)

Sorry Carol- I apologize in advance for my incredible lack of ability to resist but: The wind was strong enough to blow a semi around and you were driving one of those Australian SUVs called a Super-Roo, towing a Fiberglass trailer and you hadn't noticed the wind?

methinks a bit more coffee may have been in order to acquire some alertness!
__________________

__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New tow vehicle Doug Arthurs Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 02-18-2012 03:31 PM
Tow vehicle rgrugg Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 07-22-2011 07:43 PM
We did it! Have A new TOW VEHICLE! Vickie B. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 35 10-07-2010 04:45 PM
Tow Vehicle Candi Woods General Chat 30 01-08-2007 08:40 AM
tow vehicle Legacy Posts General Chat 20 05-09-2003 07:17 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.