Deciding on new trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We towed a Casita for a year and never had a braking situation even though we were towing with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV, Generally if I expect to slow down I begin the process well in advance.

Also, as a reminder, when I start up every morning I momentarily activate just the trailer brakes looking to feel a tug on the tow vehicle to test yhe trailer brakes function.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
The 4runner use to be based on the Toyota mini-truck platform. Not anymore though, so don't know how close it is to a Tacoma.

My 2009 Tacoma is rated to pull 6,500lbs. I've pulled close to or over that. Brakes, suspension & power were all tapped out. I got a beater F250 for hauling my tractor after that. The Taco pulls a 3,500lbs 17' Casita like a champ without even needing a WDH or sway control (even fine when the Casita brakes were shot). Its definitely a lot safer & easier towing something way under the limit than pushing the limit.

What is the tow ratings of the current 4runners?

I adjust my brake controllers to brake the trailer a little heavy. It will help in panic sway situations a hair & its cheaper & easier to replace trailer brakes than tug brakes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
I tow my 17ft casita with my 2000 4runner 3.4L v6/auto trans. or with my 2004 tacoma 3.4L v6/manual trans. with no issues. I upgraded both trucks with the larger front toyota tundra brakes (HUGE improvement over stock) and i keep the rear drum brakes properly adjusted and of course i have electric brakes on the casita. Even in the mountains never a braking issue. My toyota trucks is the reason i bought a casita, didn't want to upgrade to a full size v8 truck.
2014 Casita SD 17ft. 2004 lifted Tacoma TRD 2002 stock 4runner 2000 lifted 4runner 1968 resto-mod Chevelle
68dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Originally Posted by Carolyn N. View Post
Hello... new member, still working on purchasing an RV. I bought a Forester, then realized I want an RV.... found out weight limit is only 1500 lbs. My dealer has offered to trade the car back with minimal penalty for an Outback instead... have to decide in the next couple days.
Meanwhile the guy at Scamp assures me I can use the Scamp 13 ft. with needed options (what I need) and can stay within the weight limit. I have asked for advice on the Scamp FB page and seems like people are suggesting I should go for the Outback.
Any input? I have found the Scamp group fabulous for help and I can tell this group is too.
Any other suggestions for me besides Scamp? I don't want teardrop.... want to be able to stand up... would be claustrophobic!
Thanks for all those with experience.... also..
Would love to hear if some ladies travel on their own and manage to pull trailers, set up, back up, etc.
If you are buying new, the 13 Scamp would probably be the lightest weight. 13 Casita's are heavier. You could go with maybe something like a Lil Joe, I believe they are lighter weight.

If the Outback has a higher towing rating.....that's what I'd go for. It's amazing how fast the weight of your personal stuff, kitchen items and food will add up. You don't want to be on the brink for a variety of reasons.

As far as traveling on your own....go for it. You'll be surprised how quick you learn how to backup a trailer, just go slow. Setting up at a campsite is not all that hard. 1st level the trailer side to side using boards, fancy leveling blocks or whatever, by running one tire up on them. 2nd level the trailer front to back with the jack. 3rd hook the water hose up. 4th pull out the electric cord and plug it in. Basically that's it.

Now if you travel like Lily, my dog, and I....then I setup a fenced yard for Lily, put down the fake grass mat, crank out the awning, put up the satellite dish, pull out the chair and chaise, mount the outside table, take the bike off the back and I think that's it, we ready to chill. Now I don't do that all the time just when we are staying put for a few days.

Any way, you'll do just fine and love it.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Forester towing capacity

i just saw your post about towing with a Forester. fyi, in 2014 the normal auto transmission previously used in Foresters was replaced with a CVT (constant velocity transmission) which reduced the Forester's towing capacity from the previous 2400 lbs to 1400 lbs. i have a 2013 Forester, but i don't tow anything but a small boat with it, i'm not sure that i would want to use it to tow an enclosed camper.
rdmdbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #20
Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp 13
Thank you...I was able to trade back the Forester and now have an Outback and my Scamp has been ordered!
Carolyn N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #21
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I have been towing a 13' scamp with a 2010 Forester for the last 5 years. .
Your 2010 has a towing capacity of 2400lbs. Right?

In the meantime Subaru has redesigned the Forester as well as they started doing the standardized tow test that most of the auto manufactures are doing now as well. As a result the Forester was downgraded to only a 1500 lb towing capacity.

I have towed with an Outback and i would suggest it is the better option these days for what the OP is wishing to tow - but I would not tow anything more than a 13' with it either.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote