Dexter self adjusting electric brakes on 17' Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You need to take the wheels off once a year to check the bearings etc anyways so checking the brake adjusting is not going to take much more time.
Indeed, removing and replacing the hub for the bearing work will require manually adjusting the brakes anyway, because the hub is the brake drum, and because the automatic system is not intended to handle initial adjustment, only to account for wear as it occurs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nev-R-Lube bearings are a large-diameter assembly right in the middle of the wheel, so they are incompatible with small-diameter bolt patterns (but independent of the brakes). I don't think (just from memory - please check the Dexter catalog if interested) that they are available with the 5x4.5" pattern which is standard for 3500 pound axles. If you can get them with that axle size, you probably need to go with the optionally available 6x5.5" bolt pattern.
I just checked with the Dexter catalog I have from last year, and it does say that you can have the 35mm version of the Nev-R-Lube cartridge bearing system with a 3500 pound axle and 10 x 2 1/4 brakes, but only in the 6x5.5" pattern.

I don't know if there are zero-offset 14" wheels in the 6x5.5" pattern; usually that pattern is used for 15" and 16" diameter trailer wheels.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It seems to be getting too complicated, maybe I'll just stick with the standard axle. Is there a difference between Nev-R-Lube vs a E-Z-Lube axle?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would guess that the Nev-R-Lube has a sealed bearing like Uhaul used, and most rear axles on front wheel drive cars, front axles too for that matter, and even found on the steer axle of some big trucks. A self adjusting brake, if designed well and functions properly, is a good idea as most people have no idea how to do a brake adjustment.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #25

Bearing systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It seems to be getting too complicated, maybe I'll just stick with the standard axle. Is there a difference between Nev-R-Lube vs a E-Z-Lube axle?
Since Nev-R-Lube is a bit obscure, especially for Escape-sized axles, it would have been simpler and probably would have been safe to just ignore it. Now that it's out there...

A standard Dexter axle has two bearings in it (per hub) which need to be occasionally inspected (which involves removing the hub, pulling the bearings apart) and re-greased. They are protected from the outside world by a seal, which generally works fine for us.

An E-Z Lube axle has the same bearings and hub, and the same maintenance requirements. It also has a hole drilled in the spindle and a fitting on the end so grease can be pumped in. This is so it can be kept completely filled with grease to keep out water, for boat trailers which get regularly submerged; after each dunking, a shot of grease forces out water that may have sneaked past the seal. Since pumping in grease might accidentally force it past the seal (and into the inside of the brake drum, if equipped with brakes), an E-Z Lube axle must use (and is supplied with) a better seal than the standard axle.

The grease injection feature of an E-Z Lube can be ignored, and the bearings maintained exactly like a standard axle, without any negative consequences.

Other axle manufacturers offer similar features.

Nev-R-Lube uses completely different bearings. They are located differently (closer together) and the is hub designed to work with them, so nothing about the bearing or hubs is interchangeable with the standard or E-Z Lube. These "cartridge" bearings are never disassembled, and are not re-greased for their entire life. If they wear out or fail, they are replaced. Dexter has these cartridge bearings in three sizes; a hub for an Escape would use the smallest size (35 mm diameter).

Brakes
All three styles are available with the same size of brake drum, and work with exactly the same other drum brake components (the mounting plate, magnet, shoes, etc.). Disc brakes complicate things somewhat, but discs are not offered by Escape (or any other current egg manufacturers to my knowledge).
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks Brian, for the clear and concise explanation. I'm now better informed.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The furnace also has a life-time lubricated bearing.
At least mine failed within the warranty period.
Apparently it is lubricated for its life, not yours.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #28

Bearings: Nev-R-Lube versus hub/bearing units
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I would guess that the Nev-R-Lube has a sealed bearing like Uhaul used, and most rear axles on front wheel drive cars, front axles too for that matter, and even found on the steer axle of some big trucks.
Yes, it is a similar concept with similar implications for maintenance and repair. Neither one requires regular lubrication, or can be re-lubed.

The execution is different, although that may not matter for most purposes.
  • In Dexter's Nev-R-Lube, the bearings alone can be replaced if required, with clips holding the cartridge-type bearings in place.
  • In the system used by U-Haul the spindle, bearings, and hub (but not brake drum) are permanently assembled and are replaced if required as a complete unit, just bolted in.

Brakes: Self-Adjusting
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
A self adjusting brake, if designed well and functions properly, is a good idea as most people have no idea how to do a brake adjustment.
I agree. In addition to knowing how to adjust, there's getting around to doing it. I like that my car adjusts its rear brakes itself; I would rather not need to do this adjustment on a trailer. I can do maintenance; I'm not quite as diligent as I should be about it...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Apparently it is lubricated for its life, not yours.

Yes, it is important that if you can't lubricate a bearing, you can replace it. In fact, even non-sealed bearings that get regular maintenance sometimes fail, so they need to be replaceable, too.

In practice, these sealed bearing units in cars typically last longer than the rest of the car. I've never had to replace one, and when I'm done with a car it has at least a quarter million kilometres (150,000 miles) on it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #30

Name: Ian
Trailer: Escape 17' Plan A
British Columbia
Getting Input

This thread is extremely helpful to me and much appreciated. So far I'm inclined to go with the E-Z lub bearings and Nev-R-Adjust brakes from Dexter. A related question is whether or not to use synthetic grease (which has a lighter consistency and much longer life) or stick with the regular bearing grease??? I guess if I went synthetic, I would ask Reese to get the bearings packed initially with the synthetic. Has anyone had experience in this regard??? Thanks, Ian
Ian Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What grease does the manufacturer ordinarily supply with the E-Z lubes?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #32

British Columbia
Type of grease

www.floeintl.com/assets/pdf/e-z_lube_greasecap.pdf In this PDF Dexter uses Lithium Complex NLGI No.2. They also list suppliers etc. Ian
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hall View Post
www.floeintl.com/assets/pdf/e-z_lube_greasecap.pdf In this PDF Dexter uses Lithium Complex NLGI No.2. They also list suppliers etc. Ian
I think that's a synthetic, lots of brands available. But I also think my Trillium has Natural Bear Grease in the axles, so what do I know?

We must wait to Hear From The Experts...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #34

New York
Couple points here, in Brian's post #25 about the EZ lube axle, the statement that it is good for boat trailers and a shot of grease will force out water. That is a good idea, but imagine on a camper with brakes and someone gets the idea that if one pump of grease is good, ten pumps must be much better. And there goes grease past the seal, no matter how good that seal is, and now the brakes get grease soaked and you can't see it. Francesca has a good point too, what is the original grease so you are pumping in the same or a compatible grease. I'm a big believer in always using the same grease or oil in my vehicles. I keep things a long time, one of my tractors I got new in 1968, always used the same oil with frequent changes, and it still is running great with no oil consumption.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #35

British Columbia
Seals and E-Z lub dexter axle

If you look at the Dexter E-Z lub axle, it is designed to circulate the grease over both bearing sets, then out by the nipple. They recommend not using a pressurized grease gun, but to gently pump a regular hand gun until the new grease appears, after the old grease has been forced out. They also recommend checking the seals once a year. Ian
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
They also recommend checking the seals once a year. Ian
And what does that involve?
It doesn't sound any E Z er than repacking wheel bearings every year or two. I had Bearing Buddies on my boat trailer and then on my tent trailer. I think they were a good idea for the boat trailer, which got backed into salt water, but on the tent trailer, I just ended up with grease all over the tires. I was probably over enthusiastic with the grease gun.

I've had the bearings that came on my 2008 Escape inspected and repacked twice, last time a couple months ago. That visual inspection found that the bearings were in good shape and did not need replacement. Just had to be cleaned, repacked and new seals.

I have more confidence in that visual inspection than any claim from a manufacturer.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #37

Quote:
They also recommend checking the seals once a year. Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And what does that involve?
It doesn't sound any E Z er than repacking wheel bearings every year or two.
It involves disassembling the hub and repacking the bearings, of course.
Exactly why E-Z Lube is pointless for those of us not dunking our trailers.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #38

New York
Ian, thanks for that info. If there is a relief hole then at least there is less chance of forcing grease past the seal. But Glenn and Brian have a point that if the trailer has brakes you can't inspect the seal without pulling the hub. It will have to be a time will tell thing to see how it works.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #39

Yes, while flushing the grease in an E-Z Lube axle, the grease is supposed to only come out of the front bearing, around the injection fitting. This video from Dexter Axle shows how it works:
I note these features, according to Dexter:
  1. The system is for boat trailers.
  2. It is used to purge contaminated grease from the bearings.
  3. It has no effect on the other maintenance requirements of the axle.

I also noticed that their illustration does not show brakes, or make it clear that any leakage past the seal will be into the brake drum... but this is a promotional video.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #40

British Columbia
E-Z lube Video

I think the video says it all... we do a lot of very remote dry camping and could be pulling our new Escape through water that comes over the axle. I really like the idea of being able to purge out old grease and maybe water. I do realize that the brakes, seals etc. still need to be inspected yearly. I really appreciate all the input. Thanks, Ian

Tags
brakes, escape