Diesel SUVs for TV - experiences? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I agree a little overkill there. I pull our Scamp 19 with Chevrolet Colorado 5 Cylinder. Does great

Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
I have heard rumours that the older ML350 had many maintenance issues.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #17

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Here in NC it is about 30c more expensive than gas.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Depends on the tax; in Manitoba it's about 12 cents cheaper per litre. (about 48 cents per US gallon)
Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
it does depend on the size of the engine about plugging it in.. small vw TDI 1.9 or 2.0 probably not.. anti gel in the winter but the glow plugs handle all but the coldest nights.. living off grid in NW Ontario plugging in isn't an option and no significant problems.. worst that happens block will freeze up and you need to run a heater for an hour.. can't speak for diesel prices in USA but in Canada diesel is generally cheaper except in the winter when refineries are switched over to heating oil production.. and mileage is significantly less in the winter due to temperature and winter blend diesel..

now what did the OP ask?????
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
As we have recently discussed in another thread, the relative price of gasoline and diesel varies significantly by location, by season, and due to other factors.

I don't know that this matters to this discussion, as it is about the two specific SUVs which meet the original poster's criteria... and both are diesel.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #21

Trailer:
I can't help thinking that if Subaru sold in North America the 2-litre 150hp boxer diesel they sell in Yurp, there would be some takers.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barring View Post
It's time to upgrade the old f150, and its 13 mpg with trailer. I'm looking at Mercedes ML350 or VW Toureg diesels, with 28 est mpg. Anyone out there have experience towing with them? Yes, I know they are expensive, but so is a new truck, and I need something that will do double duty as dressy for work. Thoughts?
My opinion per this requirement:

Sorta depends on the crowd I s'pose, but maximum "dressy" impression must surely be the Mercedes. Could run the risk of being seen as "too show offy", though....in which case the Touareg would be the better choice.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I just see them as very well built, well designed, high performance vehicles.

They are serious drivers cars.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
If there is interest in a magazine review, the July/August issue of Motor Trend's Truck Trend includes a comparison of diesel versions of the ML350, Touareg, and two others. Articles do appear in the website, but apparently not for the current issue, so this article not posted yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Thnxs Brian. That would be a good read.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD had to be plugged in.
Our 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD is a great tow vehicle... lots of torque and you never know anything is back there being towed. 22 mpg towing. Too bad Jeep quit making the CRD after 2006.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
Thanks for the interesting conversations. I guess nobody on FGRV is using one of these two diesel suvs as a tow vehicle, so once I buy one or the other I will post a review of its towing abilities.

BTW - over a week of towing the Scamp behind my F150 in northern ME I got my gas mileage up to 15! Amazing the difference a little oxygen can make, compared to home in CO. Also flatter.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Barring - If the vehicle tow rating is well above the trailer weight, you should be fine. We started off towing with a vehicle which pretty much matched the trailer weight. It was terrible. We didn't tow very far, but quickly realized that a 1500 limit for a 1500 lb trailer was a bad idea. Next we towed with a 3000 tow limit gas SUV (Aztek), which really didn't have any torque, and was another bad idea. The Aztek had no oomph, and we could constantly feel the Scamp back there being "lugged around".
We finally did some research before buying (and got tired of fixing the Aztek), and decided to get a diesel Jeep with 5000 lbs towing limit and lots of good diesel torque. Other than a limited amount of space inside the jeep, it's been a fabulous TV. If we keep the towing mph to 60 or so, we don't notice a significant cut in MPG.

Our Jeep came with a tow package which means it already had the transmission cooler installed. Which ever vehicle you choose, make sure that towing isn't an "add on", but the car is made for towing, and you should be good to go.