Diesel SUVs for TV - experiences? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #21

Trailer:
I can't help thinking that if Subaru sold in North America the 2-litre 150hp boxer diesel they sell in Yurp, there would be some takers.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barring View Post
It's time to upgrade the old f150, and its 13 mpg with trailer. I'm looking at Mercedes ML350 or VW Toureg diesels, with 28 est mpg. Anyone out there have experience towing with them? Yes, I know they are expensive, but so is a new truck, and I need something that will do double duty as dressy for work. Thoughts?
My opinion per this requirement:

Sorta depends on the crowd I s'pose, but maximum "dressy" impression must surely be the Mercedes. Could run the risk of being seen as "too show offy", though....in which case the Touareg would be the better choice.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I just see them as very well built, well designed, high performance vehicles.

They are serious drivers cars.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If there is interest in a magazine review, the July/August issue of Motor Trend's Truck Trend includes a comparison of diesel versions of the ML350, Touareg, and two others. Articles do appear in the website, but apparently not for the current issue, so this article not posted yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Thnxs Brian. That would be a good read.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD had to be plugged in.
Our 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD is a great tow vehicle... lots of torque and you never know anything is back there being towed. 22 mpg towing. Too bad Jeep quit making the CRD after 2006.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
Thanks for the interesting conversations. I guess nobody on FGRV is using one of these two diesel suvs as a tow vehicle, so once I buy one or the other I will post a review of its towing abilities.

BTW - over a week of towing the Scamp behind my F150 in northern ME I got my gas mileage up to 15! Amazing the difference a little oxygen can make, compared to home in CO. Also flatter.
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #28

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Barring - If the vehicle tow rating is well above the trailer weight, you should be fine. We started off towing with a vehicle which pretty much matched the trailer weight. It was terrible. We didn't tow very far, but quickly realized that a 1500 limit for a 1500 lb trailer was a bad idea. Next we towed with a 3000 tow limit gas SUV (Aztek), which really didn't have any torque, and was another bad idea. The Aztek had no oomph, and we could constantly feel the Scamp back there being "lugged around".
We finally did some research before buying (and got tired of fixing the Aztek), and decided to get a diesel Jeep with 5000 lbs towing limit and lots of good diesel torque. Other than a limited amount of space inside the jeep, it's been a fabulous TV. If we keep the towing mph to 60 or so, we don't notice a significant cut in MPG.

Our Jeep came with a tow package which means it already had the transmission cooler installed. Which ever vehicle you choose, make sure that towing isn't an "add on", but the car is made for towing, and you should be good to go.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #29

Thanks, Sheryl. It was the announcement of the coming diesel Grand Cherokee that got us started thinking in this direction. We can do a couple of cross country trips in a year, so the upgrades seemed a good idea.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #30

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by barring View Post
Thanks for the interesting conversations. I guess nobody on FGRV is using one of these two diesel suvs as a tow vehicle, so once I buy one or the other I will post a review of its towing abilities.

BTW - over a week of towing the Scamp behind my F150 in northern ME I got my gas mileage up to 15! Amazing the difference a little oxygen can make, compared to home in CO. Also flatter.
That's surprising to me. I get about 2 MPG more in mountain states like CO than in flatlands. Maybe because I slow down for all those curves?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #31

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Sorry for overlooking this topic, but I may be able to add a little real life input.

Our 2013 Touareg TDI has towed approx 4500 miles in its short working life, the latest a trip halfway across the country for a total of almost 4000 miles pulling the Burro.

I will try to give you a comparison with the '99 Honda Odyssey we used to do this for about 12 years. It was a 210 HP with a 4-speed transmission, two extra transmission coolers, a transmission oil temp gauge, and helper airbags in the rear.

It was all but mandatory to tow in 3rd gear, resulting in about 3000 RPM, because anything except a slight downgrade, preferably with the wind following, resulted in frequent downshifts. The Honda, pulling about 3300 lbs was near its rated limit, and the constant slowing down for the slightest hill kept average speed fairly low. We averaged 15.6 mpg, which I think is pretty good. The engine noise from the elevated RPMs were a bit of a pain, always reminding me that I was torturing the thing. Reliability was excellent, probably because I lucked out in getting a tranny that was OK.

We decided to confer the Honda on my son while it was still OK, then looked for a tow vehicle with a much wider margin for error. Having had some experience driving a diesel in Europe we looked at the Audi Q7, Touareg TDI, BMW, Porsche Cayenne, and the Mercedes (not seriously). The prices were horrifying, and it took a long time to come to terms with it.

As has been hinted at, the social stigma of owning a Merc, Audi, or BMW was real for us, so the Touareg became the frontrunner, with the bonus of a lower price. An aside: the marketing strategy for VW seems to be to offer about half a dozen levels of trim, with no real options available. With minor gripes that was fine for us, since by the time the others added the necessary options the prices had gone through the roof. Styling also played a small part: I prefer the smooth muscular look as opposed to the "bad origami" look of two of the others.

The diesel was the only choice for us, so we got what we expected. I find the low end (1750 to about 2300 RPM) torque peak just right, especially when the 8-speed tranny is able to keep it there when needed. 406 pound-feet of torque is quite a lot, and the pulling power is strong, quiet, and uneventful.

The 280 pounds of tongue weight turned out to be negligible for this setup, and stability has been flawless. VW does not endorse weight-distributing hitches. Connecting up the trailer activates some changes in the transmission shift points, cooling system, etc. and activates the car alarm if someone tries to unhitch. I use a Prodigy RF brake controller, and there is what for me is a perfect place to put it, no connections to the tow vehicle needed. All in all a fairly uncomplicated hook up process.

On the road the performance and behavior is of the "now I can exhale" type: quiet, smooth, and with gobs of reserve. On the interstates I set the cruise control to 65 to 67 and let it go. It takes extreme conditions to force it to slow down, otherwise no drama. It seems happier at 65 than at 63, because the transmission is more ready to shift down on some hills just to keep the engine in the "lots of reserve" band and free from lugging RPMs. A pull up the notorious hill on 95 north of Lewiston, Idaho was an eye-popping experience.

A rear-view camera that had been previously attached to the back of the trailer was hooked up to a screen which fit nicely in the pop-up compartment on top of the dash.

There is no provision for engine block heating, and when cold one just flicks the switch and wait for about one second and the engine starts.

With the quiet performance comes the extra awareness of tow bar sloppiness, which I cured with the "Quiet-Ride" device. Works nicely.

Overall I got what I bargained for, at about $48,000 and the contrast with the Honda, good as it was, is huge. Unfortunately I haven't calculated the actual fuel mileage for our trip yet, but earlier figures had it at between 18 and 22. At a distinctly higher average speed. Without the trailer I get between 32 and 33 mpg on the highway. Our trip revealed some pricing quirks for diesel, but it was generally right in the mix, so the expected diesel premium did not materialize this time. On an earlier trip I encountered a "boonies" gas station also offering diesel but the nozzle did not fit. The much extended mileage range on a tank helped, but I have since seen a portable nozzle adapter for sale which would make it possible to fill up from such pumps.

If needed, please PM me for additional information. We're happy.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #32

Thanks, Per. I bought the Touareg TDI (diesel) last week. The Scamp is still back East, so I have not tried it towing yet. However, I have put on about 800 miles in the last four days on a couple of road trips. So far I am very happy. I will put up a road test with the Scamp when we come home in October.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
It was all but mandatory to tow in 3rd gear, resulting in about 3000 RPM, because anything except a slight downgrade, preferably with the wind following, resulted in frequent downshifts.
The engine noise from the elevated RPMs were a bit of a pain, always reminding me that I was torturing the thing.
The Honda needed to be at 3000 rpm to produce enough power, but even at that point it was still below its torque peak, and at less than half its peak speed. I'm quite sure it wasn't being "tortured", as the engine's reliability confirms.

I'm glad the added turbo (and diesel operation) of the Touareg provides a more comfortable margin of performance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Well I am truly envious of you folks towing with the T-Regs.

This vid shows how well the T-regs (same as Cayenne's) perform when trailer is in tow. Very Impressive....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That video has been out for several years now and it does not show Can-Am's wizardly hitch set up, maybe a Hensley or ProPride hitch. It can be done if properly set up.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Does the TDI use the urea tank in it's set up?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #37
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That video has been out for several years now and it does not show Can-Am's wizardly hitch set up, maybe a Hensley or ProPride hitch. It can be done if properly set up.
The Airstream factory is in Jackson Center Ohio. I always thought the promo video was taken down there somewhere. Since Can Am is way up here in Ontario it never occurred to me that they were involved with the T-reg test. You could be right though.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #38

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I am so glad VW switched to a V6 diesel with improved highway fuel economy. Now if I can find one used for a good price I might consider it
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote