Do I need the Transmission Cooler? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Do I need the Transmission Cooler?

Okay as of the present time, the 1990 Scamp is about 1300 pounds. We have to have a hitch installed, but do I need transmission cooler? The SUV's(Lexus ES350) rating is 3000 lbs. My guess is yes, and I'm wondering the cost associated with adding this all. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Transmission coolers are very cheap, especially if you install it yourself. Transmissions are very expensive. Transmission temperature gauges are very useful.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I purchased a transmission cooler one size larger than was required and had it installed at a local transmission shop . Total cost was $140.00 for Parts & Labor CHEAP INSURANCE!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Most radiators have ports on the inner bottom for additional coolers. If yours does, it is really not too difficult to install one, just messy. On the other hand, I absolutely agree with the $140 cheap insurance thing. I mean, if you're not handy, and/or don't want to get dirty, anything under a couple hundred bucks is real cheap insurance.

Good luck!

Frank
Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The Lexus ES350 is a sedan, not an SUV. Is this an RX 350, perhaps?

Does the Lexus have the towing preparation package? If so, Toyota is saying that it is mechanically equipped to handle the load of towing within the specified limits, and I don't know why it is so common to assume that this particular aspect of the vehicle is inadequate. Do we automatically assume that since towing puts more load on the rear suspension, better rear shocks are needed? Towing can be demanding on brakes - do we assume larger disks and high-performance pads are needed? Tires... surely we need to put on truck-grade tires!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Transmission temperature gauges are very useful.
I agree. If you're going to fix a problem, it makes sense to me to see if you have one first.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

New York
I agree Brian. Often, better shocks are helpful if you have a large tongue weight, adjustable ones are even better (I have heavy duty ones for towing from the factory as part of my tow package). Premium brakes for any tow vehicle are also a good idea. For tires, I have ones intended for towing on my pickup, that too is a good idea, though they don't wear as well. I wouldn't worry too much about those things though if I had an automatic tranny. I'd install a tranny cooler first, and have done that a number of times. Just me!

Frank
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Georgia
Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Lexus ES350 is a sedan, not an SUV. Is this an RX 350, perhaps?

Does the Lexus have the towing preparation package? If so, Toyota is saying that it is mechanically equipped to handle the load of towing within the specified limits, and I don't know why it is so common to assume that this particular aspect of the vehicle is inadequate. Do we automatically assume that since towing puts more load on the rear suspension, better rear shocks are needed? Towing can be demanding on brakes - do we assume larger disks and high-performance pads are needed? Tires... surely we need to put on truck-grade tires!
Yes, I was mistaken with the model number it is a RX350. Furthermore if anyone is interested. I called around to get an idea of what the cost of a trailer hitch along with the wiring and all the little things needed to make it work and was surprised at the vast difference in pricing. At one of the local shops the guy wanted 580.00, again at another shop 435.00, finally I called up Uhaul. Guess what with all the bells and whistles including insurance on the hitch and wiring came out to 349.00 out the door.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #9

New York
Just goes to show ya, it's good to check around. I've had pretty good luck with U-Haul for stuff.

Best of luck!

Frank
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Georgia
Rx 350,rx350,rx350!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

Georgia
Thanks Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Just goes to show ya, it's good to check around. I've had pretty good luck with U-Haul for stuff.

Best of luck!

Frank
Thanks Frank, took about 30 pictures of what I have to do, not to mention that much of the floor feels weak. However not to the extent that I miss the summer "Scamping about". I think my wife is much more excited than I am (but not by much). The covers are gross, so I'm not sure what I'm going to use. I don't want to invest in new covers if 4 months from now they will become obsolete.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
Okay as of the present time, the 1990 Scamp is about 1300 pounds. We have to have a hitch installed, but do I need transmission cooler? The SUV's(Lexus ES350) rating is 3000 lbs. My guess is yes, and I'm wondering the cost associated with adding this all. Any help would be appreciated.
Assuming your Lexus has an autotranny (can you even buy one with a mannytranny???), the answer is: better safe than sorry!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #13

Alberta
I think every year of RX has the same 3500 pound (not 3000) max towing capacity when equipped with the towing preparation package, and as low as 1500 pounds without it... but I strongly encourage all vehicle owners to read the relevant section of their manual.

The RX350 towing package is probably the same as a Toyota Highlander package (they are mechanically very closely related) and probably the same as the 2007 and later Toyota Sienna package (they use the same engine). At least the Sienna version of this package does not include a larger transmission cooler (even though earlier versions did), because Toyota decided it was not required for reliable operation, specifically while towing.

I would want to compare a genuine original equipment ("factory") Lexus hitch to the ones offered by hitch shops, because it is common with similar SUVs for the factory hitch to fit in much better with the rear bumper. U-Haul doesn't make hitches; they're just another retailer selling the same brands as the other stores (but with a U-Haul sticker), sometimes more cheaply.