Do I need Weight Distributing Hitch? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 80
Do I need Weight Distributing Hitch?

HI,
I use 2010 Sienna CE van to tow 13' Boler. Trailer with loading total weight is about 1800 lb.
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?
The Sienna van does NOT have the 'towing package', I'm going to add a transmission cooler soon.

I had two trips between Calgary and Vancouver (both at late August), didn't find any problem.
__________________

__________________
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,352
Registry
I don't think so. I pulled a 13' Scamp with a 2000 Sienna and it was fine with the tongue weight. I agree about adding the ATF cooler.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I don't think so. I pulled a 13' Scamp with a 2000 Sienna and it was fine with the tongue weight. I agree about adding the ATF cooler.
Thank you - Jon,
I didn't feel any problem when I was travelling between Calgary and Vancouver. Because I'm new to tow a trailer, reading more makes me to think the need to learn more.

Regards!
Eric
__________________
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,352
Registry
Adding an anti-sway bar wouldn't hurt. It's light, inexpensive, and simple. It adds a measure of safety in an unusual situation, such as an emergency avoidance maneuver.

But a full weight distributing hitch is major overkill on a 13' trailer. Not even sure the frame is strong enough to handle the forces applied.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 594
NO!
__________________
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
HI,
I use 2010 Sienna CE van to tow 13' Boler. Trailer with loading total weight is about 1800 lb.
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?
The Sienna van does NOT have the 'towing package', I'm going to add a transmission cooler soon.

I had two trips between Calgary and Vancouver (both at late August), didn't find any problem.
I agree with the anti-sway bar. We pull a 17 ft Casita and have the bar. It helps with swaying in the wind and if you have a problem on rainy roads. It feels much more solid and under control. Weight distributing hitch is not needed.
__________________
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Posts: 1,427
Registry
Timely discussion for us as well; we have a 16' Amerigo (2150 - 2250 lbs loaded) and a Dodge Grand Caravan TV...have an anti-sway stabilizer bar but haven't used it and were just yesterday discussing if it's worth using for the coming season...after reading all this, we agree it IS and will use it. Glad for the question and the answers. Thanks, all.


BEST
Kai in Seattle
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Timely discussion for us as well; we have a 16' Amerigo (2150 - 2250 lbs loaded) and a Dodge Grand Caravan TV...have an anti-sway stabilizer bar but haven't used it and were just yesterday discussing if it's worth using for the coming season...after reading all this, we agree it IS and will use it. Glad for the question and the answers. Thanks, all.


BEST
Kai in Seattle
Casita will not let you leave the factory without an anti-sway bar in use. There's lots of reasons so if you have one use it. If you don't have one get one. They are easy to use and install. We put the holder ball on a second hitch to use on a different vehicle and was able to do it ourselves with a universal hitch and the proper balls. Of course we only need the one bar. Just follow the instructions as it doesn't have to be real tight. You do need to be pretty straight when you put it on the vehicle and trailer. Just remember don't back up with it because you can bend it and ruin it. We just jump out and remove it when backing into a campsite. If at a gas station we try to not back up but have done so for a few feet if we aren't turning or backing up an incline. Hope this helps.
__________________
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
FRED SMAILES's Avatar
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Posts: 611
Registry
I have towed my 74 boler thousands of miles with many different vehicles over many years in all kinds a weather with never a sway problem.
proper tongue weight, toe in on the axle and ideally a nose down attitude on the trailer and be alert of your situation.
fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG3064.jpg   user16481_pic3691_1356508309.jpg  

Picture 406.jpg   S3000211.JPG  

__________________
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Posts: 1,427
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Casita will not let you leave the factory without an anti-sway bar in use. There's lots of reasons so if you have one use it. If you don't have one get one. They are easy to use and install. We put the holder ball on a second hitch to use on a different vehicle and was able to do it ourselves with a universal hitch and the proper balls. Of course we only need the one bar. Just follow the instructions as it doesn't have to be real tight. You do need to be pretty straight when you put it on the vehicle and trailer. Just remember don't back up with it because you can bend it and ruin it. We just jump out and remove it when backing into a campsite. If at a gas station we try to not back up but have done so for a few feet if we aren't turning or backing up an incline. Hope this helps.

Didn't know that about backing up. Since we hadn't used it yet, at least we didn't ruin it from not knowing. Thanks.

BEST
Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Posts: 1,427
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I have towed my 74 boler thousands of miles with many different vehicles over many years in all kinds a weather with never a sway problem.
proper tongue weight, toe in on the axle and ideally a nose down attitude on the trailer and be alert of your situation.
fred


Good pics! Cute Boler--they are, though, aren't they!?

So you're saying no sway problem and NO sway bar?

Our Amerigo seems to have no sway problem but we haven't towed it far, under 2,000 miles last year and about the same planned this year. Never in a storm, always under posted speeds and as you say, alert to the situation.

Still, since we have the bar, we think we'll use it this year. Just not for backing up.

BEST
Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
FRED SMAILES's Avatar
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Posts: 611
Registry
So you're saying no sway problem and NO sway bar?

Correct
__________________
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 2,627
We did not use a sway bar with our 1999 16 ft Scamp and encountered sway problems . We use a sway bar with our 2013 , 17 ft Casita and have not had sway issues .
Not sure if the sway bar or the trailer caused or cured the problem
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,352
Registry
Sway bars are a little like air bags. The majority of people never need them. Good driving habits lower your risk of ever needing them. They have saved many lives, but they are not effective in every possible scenario. And they come with associated costs and risks, including accidental deployment and airbag-related injuries.

The difference is with airbags you don't get a choice. With sway bars, you get to decide if it's worth it to install a safety device you hope you'll never need.

A properly designed, loaded, and hitched trailer should never need a sway bar across a broad range of normal towing conditions.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Does a Weight-Distributing Hitch Do? Brian B-P General Chat 67 03-11-2007 06:41 PM
Wanted Weight Distributing Hitch and Sway Bar with adjustable ball mou Rick A Classified Archives 1 11-29-2006 10:28 AM
Weight Distributing hitch & sway Bar Terrance Classified Archives 0 02-02-2006 03:49 PM
weight distributing hitch Legacy Posts Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 18 02-26-2003 05:36 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.