Do I need Weight Distributing Hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Do I need Weight Distributing Hitch?

HI,
I use 2010 Sienna CE van to tow 13' Boler. Trailer with loading total weight is about 1800 lb.
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?
The Sienna van does NOT have the 'towing package', I'm going to add a transmission cooler soon.

I had two trips between Calgary and Vancouver (both at late August), didn't find any problem.
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't think so. I pulled a 13' Scamp with a 2000 Sienna and it was fine with the tongue weight. I agree about adding the ATF cooler.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I don't think so. I pulled a 13' Scamp with a 2000 Sienna and it was fine with the tongue weight. I agree about adding the ATF cooler.
Thank you - Jon,
I didn't feel any problem when I was travelling between Calgary and Vancouver. Because I'm new to tow a trailer, reading more makes me to think the need to learn more.

Regards!
Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Adding an anti-sway bar wouldn't hurt. It's light, inexpensive, and simple. It adds a measure of safety in an unusual situation, such as an emergency avoidance maneuver.

But a full weight distributing hitch is major overkill on a 13' trailer. Not even sure the frame is strong enough to handle the forces applied.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
NO!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
HI,
I use 2010 Sienna CE van to tow 13' Boler. Trailer with loading total weight is about 1800 lb.
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?
The Sienna van does NOT have the 'towing package', I'm going to add a transmission cooler soon.

I had two trips between Calgary and Vancouver (both at late August), didn't find any problem.
I agree with the anti-sway bar. We pull a 17 ft Casita and have the bar. It helps with swaying in the wind and if you have a problem on rainy roads. It feels much more solid and under control. Weight distributing hitch is not needed.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Timely discussion for us as well; we have a 16' Amerigo (2150 - 2250 lbs loaded) and a Dodge Grand Caravan TV...have an anti-sway stabilizer bar but haven't used it and were just yesterday discussing if it's worth using for the coming season...after reading all this, we agree it IS and will use it. Glad for the question and the answers. Thanks, all.

BEST
Kai in Seattle
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Timely discussion for us as well; we have a 16' Amerigo (2150 - 2250 lbs loaded) and a Dodge Grand Caravan TV...have an anti-sway stabilizer bar but haven't used it and were just yesterday discussing if it's worth using for the coming season...after reading all this, we agree it IS and will use it. Glad for the question and the answers. Thanks, all.

BEST
Kai in Seattle
Casita will not let you leave the factory without an anti-sway bar in use. There's lots of reasons so if you have one use it. If you don't have one get one. They are easy to use and install. We put the holder ball on a second hitch to use on a different vehicle and was able to do it ourselves with a universal hitch and the proper balls. Of course we only need the one bar. Just follow the instructions as it doesn't have to be real tight. You do need to be pretty straight when you put it on the vehicle and trailer. Just remember don't back up with it because you can bend it and ruin it. We just jump out and remove it when backing into a campsite. If at a gas station we try to not back up but have done so for a few feet if we aren't turning or backing up an incline. Hope this helps.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I have towed my 74 boler thousands of miles with many different vehicles over many years in all kinds a weather with never a sway problem.
proper tongue weight, toe in on the axle and ideally a nose down attitude on the trailer and be alert of your situation.
fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG3064.jpg   user16481_pic3691_1356508309.jpg  

Picture 406.jpg   S3000211.JPG  

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Casita will not let you leave the factory without an anti-sway bar in use. There's lots of reasons so if you have one use it. If you don't have one get one. They are easy to use and install. We put the holder ball on a second hitch to use on a different vehicle and was able to do it ourselves with a universal hitch and the proper balls. Of course we only need the one bar. Just follow the instructions as it doesn't have to be real tight. You do need to be pretty straight when you put it on the vehicle and trailer. Just remember don't back up with it because you can bend it and ruin it. We just jump out and remove it when backing into a campsite. If at a gas station we try to not back up but have done so for a few feet if we aren't turning or backing up an incline. Hope this helps.

Didn't know that about backing up. Since we hadn't used it yet, at least we didn't ruin it from not knowing. Thanks.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I have towed my 74 boler thousands of miles with many different vehicles over many years in all kinds a weather with never a sway problem.
proper tongue weight, toe in on the axle and ideally a nose down attitude on the trailer and be alert of your situation.
fred

Good pics! Cute Boler--they are, though, aren't they!?

So you're saying no sway problem and NO sway bar?

Our Amerigo seems to have no sway problem but we haven't towed it far, under 2,000 miles last year and about the same planned this year. Never in a storm, always under posted speeds and as you say, alert to the situation.

Still, since we have the bar, we think we'll use it this year. Just not for backing up.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
So you're saying no sway problem and NO sway bar?

Correct
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We did not use a sway bar with our 1999 16 ft Scamp and encountered sway problems . We use a sway bar with our 2013 , 17 ft Casita and have not had sway issues .
Not sure if the sway bar or the trailer caused or cured the problem
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Sway bars are a little like air bags. The majority of people never need them. Good driving habits lower your risk of ever needing them. They have saved many lives, but they are not effective in every possible scenario. And they come with associated costs and risks, including accidental deployment and airbag-related injuries.

The difference is with airbags you don't get a choice. With sway bars, you get to decide if it's worth it to install a safety device you hope you'll never need.

A properly designed, loaded, and hitched trailer should never need a sway bar across a broad range of normal towing conditions.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #15

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
What Does Your Hitch Say??

The sticker on the hitch on my F-250 says that I need a WDH if the trailer weight is >=6,000 pounds or the tongue weight is >= 600 pounds. What does your's say??
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
The sticker on the hitch on my F-250 says that I need a WDH if the trailer weight is >=6,000 pounds or the tongue weight is >= 600 pounds. What does your's say??

Our hitch is astonishingly silent on that issue...but then our trailer is about 2150-2250 fully loaded for camping, so not worried about a WDH.

Our TV has a 3600 lb rating with a 360 tongue weight (our tongue weight is about 220; 240 with the door wide open (surprise!) . But then, we don't tow it with the door open.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg  

Tags
weight