Do I really need a brake controller? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #21

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
I think here in CA, anything over 1800 pounds requires brakes. The Fiber Stream is right there on the edge and already has the brakes. I figure a controller for $150-200, installed is well worth the money. What's the trailer, the car and possibly my life (or friends and family) worth, campared to $200?

Glenn
ticntoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I believe trailer brakes are required in NY if the empty weight is over 1,000 lbs. If that's the case you will need a brake controller. Not sure what you're towing with, but my Subaru, for example, also requires trailer brakes if I tow more than 1,000 lbs (goes to 2,700 lbs with brakes).
I love my trailer brakes. Once I left the house with the truck and forgot to swap my Prodigy brake controller to the truck and realized it at the first stop sign due to the extra stopping distance. Turned back and pulled it out of the Subey and plugged it back into the Dakota.
A breakaway switch is something extra and that's the only thing that would need a battery source on the camper. That applies the brakes on the trailer if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle, and you can buy small batteries to power them (although it's not much more to just buy a full size battery for the camper)

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to the wonderful world of FG

According to

State Towing Laws for RVs

New York requires brakes on any trailer over 1000#.

Do you plan on leaving the state of New York? You may have to follow that state's laws re towing. Many states require a breakaway switch, which means a battery. You will want a battery if you ever boondock. Don't say, "Never." That is what we said and then we ended up staying in a Wal Mart, a Denny's and a I-5 rest stop when we couldn't find a place to stay. All required battery for lights.

There are many discussions on this blog about ignoring laws. I did it myself when I was young and dumb by towing my 2800# boat/trailer with a 1500# rated hitch, but you don't want to get into an accident in that condition. Your insurance company may disown you on the basis that you are breaking the law. Lawyers for aggrieved parties would eat you up.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Brake rules change by area; but if you go into an area that requires brake on your trailer they will not cut you slack. Just go the local enforcement: in Ontario it is the MTO you will have one for your area.

In Ontario it depends
1 If trailer is over 3000 lbs (told includes all loaded items) or
2 If trailer is over 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle or
3 If trailer was manufactured originally with brakes
Then Yes they are required; was told when I asked

The Dealer installed unit on our Toyota is a Voyager inertia activated proportional braking unit we had to add a breakaway switch to the trailer to make it legal.

See people braking the rules all the time was told that they will not bother you unless it looks to be unsafe or if you have an collision.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
P.S. battery required for electric brakes and the breakaway switch
Personally feel brakes are just a good safety item for any load over 500 lbs
Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Owners manuals and bureaucrats... Seems most advice around here concerns respecting these two sources which are clearly fallible, It's the laws of physics which concern me, and their author is clearly infallible.
While breaking the rules of the former can be done with relative impunity, the laws of the latter are strictly enforced and should be the greater concern,and they apply across state lines.
Let's be safe, regardless of where we drive, or what the state permits!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Owners manuals and bureaucrats... Seems most advice around here concerns respecting these two sources which are clearly fallible, It's the laws of physics which concern me, and their author is clearly infallible.
While breaking the rules of the former can be done with relative impunity, the laws of the latter are strictly enforced and should be the greater concern,and they apply across state lines.
Let's be safe, regardless of where we drive, or what the state permits!
Floyd, I don't think I could agree more!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Do you need a brake controller - definitely not - unless stopping is important to you!

Rules and laws are "what can legally be done". As was said - the laws of physics are immutable and they appear to dictate that the more you (your tug + trailer) weigh, the longer it will take to stop. The car in front of you can stop in "x' distance. Can you?

Are you legally required to get a controller? (see all discussions above)

Should you get one? If you don't, then please let us all know where & when you will be traveling, so we can be elsewhere!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #29

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Roger, get the Tekonsha controller. The controller is not too pricey but the wiring harness and its installation may set you back a bit. It runs off your car battery. The Jubilee is one of the heavier FG trailers out there - it is just under 2000 pounds. Yes you can tow without the brakes, but you should definetly get them operational. You will need the drum brakes on the trailer serviced, you will need a 7 pin connector, not a 5, and I understand from the guy that services our electrics that the trailer brake alone should be enough to stop the trailer and tow vehicle, at least at low speeds - ther person who installs your wire harness can explain this. (The controller sits under your dash and has a lever that you can manually activate the brakes.) Don't know what Jeep you have or its tow cap - but unless you are towing with a fullsize pickup, go for the trailer brakes. They are indispensable to us, towing our Jubilee with a Santa Fe.

See the Tekonsha website.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #30

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Any idea how to check if I have brakes, capability for brakes? i.e. can I just by some brakes and throw them on or do I need to change out the axel. I have a 1991 13' Scamp. I don't see a break away switch and my Tekonsha P2 brake controller (best on the market by every reviewer ever) didn't recognize brakes, so they are probably not connected.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
Any idea how to check if I have brakes, capability for brakes? i.e. can I just by some brakes and throw them on or do I need to change out the axel. I have a 1991 13' Scamp. I don't see a break away switch and my Tekonsha P2 brake controller (best on the market by every reviewer ever) didn't recognize brakes, so they are probably not connected.
If you have brakes there will be wires going to them. You can look under the trailer at the wheel. No wires no brakes. Chances are that you don't have brakes on '91 13' Scamp. You can't just add them unless there's a flange for them on the axle.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #32

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If you have brakes there will be wires going to them. You can look under the trailer at the wheel. No wires no brakes. Chances are that you don't have brakes on '91 13' Scamp. You can't just add them unless there's a flange for them on the axle.
Yup no wire. in terms of "flanges for them on the axle", what am I looking for?
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #33

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
You probably have the brake flanges.
Pull the wheel and look for a 5" x 5" square price of metal with a hole drilled in each corner at the back of the spindle.
Thats what you attach the backing plate to which holds the brake shoes.
You will need a complete brake kit which includes brake drums.
Notherntool.com is a great place to do business with.
A complete kit will cost you around $240.00 plus shipping.
I've been over some of those 1100' or 12000' passes. You will be glad you have brakes going down those long grades.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"#1, do I need the internal battery for the brakes? The place we do most of our camping has shore power, and I just planned on hooking up to that, and not getting a battery for now. Obviously if I need a battery, I'll have to break out the credit card."
The battery you would need to activate the trailer brakes is a small one, relatively inexpensive. The alternate option is the regular size battery to which the brakes can be connected. this bigger battery will also operate your 12v trailer accessories.
Either way, the brakes/battery combo is a safety feature activated in an emergency if the trailer becomes un hooked. The controller will active the brakes concurrent with the vehicles brakes for shorter stopping distance and time, again another safety feature. Do you still drive without seat belts? Again a safety feature.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #35

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Brakes are probably the MOST important item on any trailer!

Pulling a trailer is easy and most any 4 cylinder car can pull a trailer. Stopping is a completely different issue.

With any fiberglass trailer you are adding anywhere from 1,000#'s to 2,500#'s of additional weight pushing the tow vehicle with brakes on that tow vehicle that were designed for stopping the vehicle itself and "maybe" not much else. Yes there is a safety factor built into a brake system by the OEM manufacturer of your vehcile and that also depends upon your upkeep and maintainence of your tow vehicle brakes. Most any vehicle has some type of towing capacity listed. Have you ever seen a STOPPING capacity specification listed anywhere for any vehicle? No you have not since that is not listed by the vehicle manufacturer.

If you have trailer brakes on your rig use them! If your brakes do not work repair them. If you need a controller buy one. As much as you may be worried about your safety I am far more worried about my safety and making sure that your do not run into the back of my vehicle somewhere at sometime because you could not stop your vehicle and trailer.

It's the responsible thing to do!

I know this is my first post however lack of working trailer brakes is real issue with inexperienced or weekend trailer tower's. Having pulled many trailers hundreds of thousands of miles many of the trailer accidents I have seen on the road are recreational RV tower's without trailer brakes such as boat trailers, small RV trailers and big RV trailers wrecked that may or may not have had working trailer brakes.

You can buy and install NEW trailer brake assemblies and a trailer emergency breakaway kit on most any trailer that has mounting flanges for brake assembly backing plates for $250 per axle or less. That's a small price to pay for your and my safety.

As much fun as camping can be you have first arrive SAFELY at your camping destination!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, welcome to FiberglassRV. Nice first post. SAFETY FIRST!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment, please excuse me.
My truck ('71 VW) doesn't have a brake switch on the pedal. Does anyone know if using the brake light switch on the master cylinder will work?
I'm probably going to get the P2.

Sorry for the hi-jack. Mike
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #38

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The brake light switch on the master should work fine to get a signal to actuate a brake controller. Make sure you hook up the brake controller wire to the switched side of the hydraulic brake switch.

What you are looking for is a brake signal power source for the brake controller that is actuated by depressing the brake pedal which turns on the brake lights which will also actuate the trailer brakes. That's exactly what that hydraulic switch on the master cylinder does!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
That's what I was thinking. Thanks!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
The Tekonsha P-3 can be mounted straight up and down, but its not exactly cheap...

Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90195
The P-3 might be a bit overkill. You want to consider the Prodigy. Tekonsha PRODIGY Brake Controller - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90185

FYI. In some states, (Oregon for one), if your trailer is equipped with electric brakes you must have a brake controller, it must be in working order. That applies to trailers that normally don't require brakes. It would not be legal for me to tow my trailer with a vehicle that doesn't have a brake controller connected and working order.

I have the Prodigy and two vehicles that I can tow with. All I have to do is remove the controller from one vehicle to the other to change tow vehicles. But, I do have to remember to do that.

Tags
trillium