do i really need jacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
hi everyone: well we are off camping for 5 days. let yous know how we enjoyed when we get back. also eventually would like to put picture of my little beachcomber.

question do we really need 4 jacks to stabilize the trailer ? it does not move very much.
is it just a matter of preference ? or, a matter of keeping the traielr frame in good order.
thank you everyone. we are new to trailers.
lorraine
Lori-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think what you're really asking about is stabilizers. That's a personal choice for you...for some, even a little wiggle is too much..hence the need for stabilizers. Also, if you get too much weight in the back of the trailer, there's a possibility the tongue will raise off the ground. Pre-hack we had a couple of real horror stories (that came across pretty "visually" funny).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My Scamp came with 2 stablizers on the back. I find that between those two and the tongue jack I get a pretty stable trailer. A few weeks ago I was doing something in the back of the trailer with the stablizers up and felt the trailer start to tip. Believe you me I moved prettty fast towards the front.

While at a carving event a couple ladies pulled in with a pop-up. They almost tipped it on it's tail. I loaned them my bottle jack and some blocks to keep it from tipping. It seemed to be stable enough for them.

My point is 4 may not be necessary, but at least one something at the back probably is.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our last trip out I forgot the stabilizer jacks. [Oh me, Oh my!] Felt like we were on marbles. I finally used the Jack from the tow and a bottle jack which I carry for the trailer. This leveled things out and made it feel a whole lot safer..Without thejacks you are depending on your front crank only for support, and it could bend or give way with the weight of two adults moving about. The jacks not only stabilize but add a lot of safety.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Do we really need 4 jacks to stabilize the trailer? [b]It does not move very much.
Is it just a matter of preference ? or, a matter of keeping the trailer frame in good order.
My 1978 Fiber Stream has a frighteningly lightweight frame. It is at least half the strength of what Casita is using today.
My channels are only 1" x 2".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer_Connection.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	4501

Look at the section of frame that extends out to mount the bumper... that is the thickness of the entire frame under my whole trailer. There is a lot of flexing going on while the trailer is under tow. (Visualize carrying a water-filled balloon in the palm of your hand.) When unsupported, my frame moves a LOT, especially aft of the double axles, where my door is. My door frame is a parallelogram (lots of sag) until I deploy the stabilizers. That's how I know when I have them tight enough; when the door opens and closes smoothly.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not large enough to make my trailer tip..

but get two dogs in there that like to play at the oddest hours, or scratch in the middle of the nite.. it's like a rolling earthquake in there.

I TRY to have my rear ones down whenever possible, but there are times when that won't work, depending on the slope I am on. When that happens, it feels like the set up is not finsihed, even if I am perfectly level.

Bugs me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
<Trying VERY hard to stay within the PG guide...>

Our favorite campsite has pads with a good (extreme??) bit of fore/aft drainage. Normally, we don't unhook, just use the tounge jack to level it fore/aft, and reley on 6000lbs of tug to keep everything solid.

Long story short, I unhooked to run the kayak down to the lake, and forgot to block the wheels. Not a problem until we both went to bed and uh..... we're still newlyweds

11:00 at night, and I'm trying to push the trailer back up the pad...

Lesson learned, I'm adding 2 rear jacks when I do the axle lift, both to stabilize it left/right, and to keep the tounge jack FIRMLY on the ground.

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
On a rear door trailer like the Compact II the first thing you do after unhitching is put stabilizer jacks under the back end. If not, the first trip into the trailer results in the trailer doing a wheelie. You only do that once before you remember to secuce the back end or leave it hitched to get inside. I've got screw down jacks bolted to both ends of the bumper to make it quick to secure. Mike
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote