Do Toyota Owners tow in Sequential Mode? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Just for the record, transmission temperature display is now available on 1st generation Highlanders like mine ('06) with the Scangauge.
Thanks for the update... when I had the 2008, it was possible but not easy to do it with the Torque App.. the gauge was not one of the built-in ones and had to be manually created and customized based on some internet research. Toyota is very secretive about their OBD2 coding.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #22

Name: Jan
Trailer: Burro
Missouri
I have a RAV4 - it has a sport mode that pulls my 13’ Burro very well-uses a lot of gas (Ozark hills) but seemed to work much better than ECO. Did not have to move it into lower gear in Sport although is available.
Jakapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
taco towing

I generally tow with my 2014 tacoma in D, however, while towing if the transmission unlocks, I shift to 4. After shifting to 4, if you watch the tach you can see rpms drop slightly as the torque converter locks back up. I get about 1 mile/gallon lower if I tow in 4 compared to towing in D. My guidance is tow in the highest gear as long as the torque converter is locked and not hunting. Not sure if this is the way other Toyotas work but this is just my 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The weight of what you tow might make OD a good gear for gas economy without stressing your engine and transmission but if you are towing max weight I would lock out the OD gear.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Define hunts too much or shifts too much. How much is too much?

As for J2807...
Tip your hat to the new "reality", take a bow for the new revolution ...
"Who" was it who prayed.....We won't get fooled again!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Floyd,

I define it as follows. If the truck starts to slow down and it unlocks the torque converter and/or shifts to a 4th gear, then speeds backup into overdrive then slows down again and repeats the cycle, I call it hunting. In other words, if the truck will stay in overdrive and locked I let it go, otherwise I down shift and run in 4th gear locked. When ever the torque converter is locked you don't have to worry about over heating, also if the transmission is shifting all the time it causes increased wear.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Floyd,

I define it as follows. If the truck starts to slow down and it unlocks the torque converter and/or shifts to a 4th gear, then speeds backup into overdrive then slows down again and repeats the cycle, I call it hunting. In other words, if the truck will stay in overdrive and locked I let it go, otherwise I down shift and run in 4th gear locked. When ever the torque converter is locked you don't have to worry about over heating, also if the transmission is shifting all the time it causes increased wear.
Pretty much right on. The new transmissions lock in every gear and most have multiple overdrives. They all unlock to downshift.
When needed, good... all the time, bad!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
KY
It is also suggested that you have your transmission scanned at facility that is properly equipped to ensure the transmission is correctly functioning. We discovered that our Honda Odyssey wasn't shifting correctly from third to fourth even though it appeared to be operating okay.

It is about the same cost as a engine analysis, but too often over looked until it is too late.
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteone View Post
It is also suggested that you have your transmission scanned at facility that is properly equipped to ensure the transmission is correctly functioning. We discovered that our Honda Odyssey wasn't shifting correctly from third to fourth even though it appeared to be operating okay.

It is about the same cost as a engine analysis, but too often over looked until it is too late.
What made you think your Odyssey had a shifting problem?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What made you think your Odyssey had a shifting problem?

While there appeared to be little change in RPM, Our Fuel mileage dropped off.
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote