Do trailer tires need to be balanced? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
When I was a kid and had my first car, I bough recap tires and didn't have the money to have them balanced. I never noticed any vibration from the tires.

Having said that, the OEM tires that came on my Scamp when I bought it new had no wheel weights. I have had the two replacement pairs balanced.

To this day I don't think it matters if you balance tires or not. But I get it done anyway.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
EPA estimates that 13% of wheel weights fall off each year and are a major cause of lead pollution today.
WOW.... surprised they haven't tried to cap that Volcano in Iceland yet.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
anyone who thinks tires dont need balancing should run out right now and pop the weights off all their vehicles........lemme know how that works out for you ....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
anyone who thinks tires dont need balancing should run out right now and pop the weights off all their vehicles........lemme know how that works out for you ....Bruce
I was going to get mine balanced, too, but I have eight wheels on this rig and the EPA says thirteen percent of the weights are going go fall off in the next year -why court disaster?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #25

Registry
What they are probably trying to say is that 13% of all wheel weights installed on everything will come off or they think they do. Not every vehicle.
I'd say yes to those glue on ones that folks use on dirty wheels ,but I doubt normal wheel weights fail at that rate...It's a deceptive figure at best ,allowing those so inclined an excuse not to, and keeping the tree huggers who probably came up with it smiling.
Bruce
Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... 13% is such a nice round figure!!! FWIW... I get enough static and vibration in my life I don't need more. It seems to be a personal choice and I err on the side of balance and order. As for the weighty issue; what's a lead weight without LEAD!!! It's gone from gasoline next thing will be the "Lead Pencil".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #27

Registry
pencils have graphite and the lead in your gasoline is a product used to control valve where mostly..........its easy to see how people get it all mixed up though...Bruce
Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I purchased new tires and had them balanced. Took my first trip with the new "balanced" tires last weekend and the difference in smoothness was noticeable. My truck seemed smoother (probably because any shaking from the trailer actually affects the truck also) and the items inside the trailer did not seem to have bounced around as much as they did on previous trips. Usually 4 screws loosen on my long trips; this time with balanced tires it was only one screw loose.
I'm a believer in balancing tires, even if it's on a trailer.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires