Do trailer tires need to be balanced? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Ever since I got my trailer, I've noticed places that sell trailer/wheel tire assemblies (eg. auto parts, Lowes) have no wheel weights on them, wheel sizes were from 12-16". The 2 tires on my trailer are balanced but the spare is not. Don't trailer tires need to be balanced like car tires are?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry

I've heard from both camps on this issue and it seems basically its up to you the owner/tower.

Those that say NOT to bother say that there should be no body (legally) riding back there anyway, so does it matter if the trailer rides rough?

The other side of the coin seems to agree that a rough riding trailer may make for a rough TOW job. I ALWAYS get our balanced anyhow (including the spare tire).
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I had mine balanced, smoother on the suspension, tires will wear more even and won't develop any flat spots.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Don't trailer tires need to be balanced like car tires are?
I buy all of my tires from a dedicated tire store (A small business that sells nothing but tires and wheels.) They always balance my mounted tires. On the invoice it is a separate line item. On my Fiber Stream's wheels, he puts the weights on the [b]inside/backside so that they don't spoil the look of the wheel/moon combo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hub_caps.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	28150

I was unaware that Lowe's sells already mounted tire/wheel combos. I suspect that balancing is usually done on site at other retailers; I doubt that Lowe's has the equipment at each retail store to do it. Since the weights are made out of lead, there is also a hazardous material issue. I plan to look for the tires the next time I am in Lowe's and see if they don't have a disclaimer sign somewhere that balancing is the customer's responsibility after the sale.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0313half.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Arrow

I just bought 3 new tires and had them balanced as well. If it's good for your tow vehicle,
why wouldn't it be just as good for your trailer? Marina
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
If it's good for your tow vehicle,
why wouldn't it be just as good for your trailer? Marina
That was my remark to a Know-it-all tire shop attendant. Those little wheels spin fast, and if they're out of balance, that means wear and tear on bearings, and poor handling.

His remark was that you won't feel the vibration. That DOESN'T mean it's not doing what vibration does.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

Registry
I was kind of surprised to find mounted tires at Lowes too, they were sitting on the bottom shelf in an area that had towing accessories. They had 13", 14", and 15" tires mounted on white modular style wheels. Probably meant more for cargo trailers than travel trailers. Regarding lead weights, I don't know if it's a California thing or not, but I read that lead will no longer be allowed, only non-toxic wheel weights.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Ever since I got my trailer, I've noticed places that sell trailer/wheel tire assemblies (eg. auto parts, Lowes) have no wheel weights on them, wheel sizes were from 12-16". The 2 tires on my trailer are balanced but the spare is not. Don't trailer tires need to be balanced like car tires are?
Hi;
I've had my tires balanced every couple of years and had the alignment done on the my 17' Boler once as well, Most tire shops can't do alignments on a trailer so you need to find a shop that's equipped to do a proper alignment on a trailer!Hope this helps.
Happy Camping; Gord
Gord Plowright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I balanced the tires on my Fiber Stream and I could feel the difference while towing. Walmart also sells mounted tires and wheels un-balanced.

slbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It does sound like a good idea. I'm taking my trailer down to a truck and trailer shop today to get the alignment checked but when I get new tires I'll make sure they are balanced. I suspect with the smaller tire radius it is less important than with car tires, though, the rim of the wheel is closer to the axle so there should not be as much wobble.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
when you believe Goodyear or anyone else has produced the perfect tire...buy them and dont balance them......they shouldnt need it and will last over 1000 years probably .............Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Be aware that to properly balance a tire, or anything else other than a thin disc, correction weights must be applied to both sides. Otherwise the tire is only statically balanced and not dynamically balanced.

Unless the tire is dynamically balanced it may still develop flat spots, vibrate and cause wear and tear on the bearings. This can only be properly done on a machine that spins the tire and wheel assembly. Those bubble balancers don't really get it done.

If you are balancing on the inside only, you may as well not balance at all. You have to choose between purty and functional.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Both Walmart and Costco used lead free weights and all lead weights will be gone next year. EPA estimates that 13% of wheel weights fall off each year and are a major cause of lead pollution today.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My new EggCamper came from the factory with balanced tires. It's such an easy thing to do I don't know why all the companies don't do it, unless they think it isn't necessary.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Short answer---------------YES-----------------
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I guess this is to Dave but open to anyone: If 13% of wheel weight were lost each year, should we be getting our auto tires balanced every 2 years, rather than only when they are replaced?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
EPA estimates that 13% of wheel weights fall off each year and are a major cause of lead pollution today.
I don't think it works like that, Don...
My first question would be: 13% of what?
  • 13% of all the wheel weights installed on every vehicle in a given year?
  • 13% of the total of all the wheel weights ever installed?

But you do bring up an interesting point: I don't think I ever think about my wheel weights as an ongoing maintenance issue...
Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
13% of 'all'
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
For whatever it's worth I'm pushing 70. I have owned and towed 8 horse stock trailers. utility trailers, ATV trailers and travel trailers for the last 45 years. I have 3 different trailers now.
I have never had the need to balance a tire nor have I had any unusual tire wear due to a lack of balancing.
I've had only one wheel bearing go bad and that was on my very first boat trailer many years ago.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
I guess this is to Dave but open to anyone: If 13% of wheel weight were lost each year, should we be getting our auto tires balanced every 2 years, rather than only when they are replaced?
I would rebalance only if I noticed a missing wheel weight. For my cars, I do check both inside and face of wheel during tire rotations. Have never lost a wheel weight.

Tags
tires