Do we know for certain what causes torsion axle sag? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would be surprised if any rubber product more than 20 years old did not experience some degrading.

Good point that rubber does not heal, can't hurt to take a little weight off when storing. Keeping the weight under the axle rating would help extend life makes sense too.

The older scamps had axles that were marginal for the weight and still tended to last for decades. If doing everything "right" I can add 5% to the life.... yippee it goes 21 years instead of 20. And if I tend to run heavy, or store with gear and it reduces it by 10% bummer only 18 years of useful life.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Ican't hurt to take a little weight off when storing.

Storing? What is this storing? We just got our Scamp last April and we use it fairly regularly. I suppose living in Florida does not hurt in getting year-round use out of a FGRV.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Going back to the original post...

1. Leave a rubberband in a drawer for a year or five and when you take it out to use it it will often just break from deterioration/old age.

2. I don't recall seeing many "A" frame campers as old as many of the FGRV's with axle sag, age alone has to be a factor.

3. And, as mother nature is a cruel mistress, just as certain body parts also sag with age, gravity always wins... eventually.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Storing? What is this storing? We just got our Scamp last April and we use it fairly regularly. I suppose living in Florida does not hurt in getting year-round use out of a FGRV.

I have to be wearing long johns just to go out and look at the camper! Hate is such a strong word..... shall we go with extreme weather envy?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Grumble! Mutter! Pbbbbft! A pox on you year-round campers! Few things are as pitiful as the sight of a little trailer under a of layer of snow, that I have to look at every morning, in the dark, on my way to work.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Few things are as pitiful as the sight of a little trailer under a of layer of snow, that I have to look at every morning, in the dark, on my way to work.
Except five little trailers.

Number six is now in permanent use, elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #21

Michigan
Thanks Dave as if Tim giving me weather envy was not enough you had to throw trailer envy into the mix. Oh wait yours are buried in snow, that might be 5 times worse. I'm ok now. Never mind.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
I have to wonder exactly how something like that fails. I would not think all four “rubbers” give up simultaneously or even at the same rate. So one gets a little weak and puts more stress on the next weakest one and so on. They might even swap the order around a bit, whichever one is the weak link at the time. I have an old backhoe, and it is a constant source of amusement and frustration. I fix one leak in a hydraulic circuit and pretty soon something else in that circuit is leaking. It finally dawned on me that a leak is acting as a pressure limiting device. Once fixed the pressure finds the next weakest area and causes it to start leaking and relieving pressure, and so on.
Ok, so if the rubbers fail, is that where new little Scamps come from?

Thanks for the many responses to my question. I think you've answered it pretty well: it is not accurate to lay all blame for torsion failure on overloading.

Another member on the A frame forum posted a reply on the subject, saying that 800 miles of "potholed volcanic gravel road" in Labrador caused the demise of his torsion axle. He talked with a Dexter rep who confirmed that pounding an axle in such a manner will ruin it.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle