Do you use a sway bar/wt. distribution hitch? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Need some answers. What is the hitch you are using? Mine is Pro Series ( provided by Escape ) and I don't have sway bars. How do you mean your "sway bars" didn't fit well?
What is your tongue weight? It will be reduced when you add bikes to the rear and you could induce sway. Your tongue weight should be about 320 lbs. A Sherline tongue scale will give you the information you need.
I meant WDH. ( I was thinking sway because of the bike weight I plan to add) I am using a Hyundai branded and installed hitch and receiver. The draw bar was provided by Escape. It's not branded.

The WDH torsion bars would not disengage as the bumper was in the way. The drawbar could have been extended to a second hole to provide enough clearance but as suggested by Escape we tried it without the WDH and it seems to work well.

Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
Name: Ray
Trailer: In the market
A great place to start would be to consult your tug's manual in particular the towing section. Some manufacturers may recommend against a WDH.

Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #17
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Ray R View Post
A great place to start would be to consult your tug's manual in particular the towing section. Some manufacturers may recommend against a WDH.
Been through this numerous times.
My Toyota manual "does not recommend" a WDH. I finally got a response from Toyota and was told that they do not have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer and for that reason they cannot recommend one. They are not saying you can't use one.
I had mine installed at the Toyota dealership where I bought the RAV4 new.
After eight years, I asked the service department to check the receiver mounts. They reported that everything was good.
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
NO NO and NO. WDH are good for heavy trailers with large tongue weights. Anti-sway bars are great for masking problem that could cause sway.
Define "Heavy Trailers" & "Large Tongue weight."
I have a full size 1/2 ton truck with a towing capacity of 10,350 lbs.
My vehicle's owners manual specifically states that when towing a trailer with a tongue weight of 500 lbs or greater a WDH is required.
My auto dealer recommends a WDH when the tongue weight exceeds 350 lbs. Many smaller tow vehicles owners manual specify that anti sway is required any time you tow.
I trust my owners manual more than some anonymous advice off the internet
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016

We ordered a 21 Escape due in Nov we have a 07 toyota Sequoia with a tow rating of 6500-6800 lb depending if rear seats are in or not .we towed a 2013 lil Snoozy about 2600lb dry maybe 3000lb with everything no need for WDH but the Escape will be another 1000-1200 lb . I'm wondering if we need all the extra stuff .The Sequoia drops maybe an inch or two .Would a sway control work just as well ? jim

BTW we tow a 5000 lb boat with no WDH so do we need one ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #20
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
If I were towing a Scamp 16, I would strongly consider using an anti-sway device, because the hitch weights on the 16s can be a little on the light side and I've read a few comments over the years from owners of 16' Scamps who had some bothersome trailer waggles going on. Not a lot of people with this issue, certainly, but a few. Hitch weight is a very big factor.

I'd recommend the Andersen No-Sway. Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch
I had one for a while, I used it with a 2700 lb trailer, and I liked it much better than my Equal-i-zer (which worked fine, but it was heavy and greasy). The Andersen is AFAIK the lightest WDH made and it works well with a lighter trailer such as our eggs.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote