Do you use extra mirrors when towing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #15

Name: carrie
Trailer: 83 Burro (for sale)
Iowa
camera suggestions?

Jon and John, we're looking at doing the camera thing too with our 13' Burro. Any suggestions, what features to look for, how much is too much or too little pay? We're just starting to look and some guidance would be great. Thanks much!

~carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. M View Post
We do the same ,what a difference the camera made !

Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Rear View Safety is more expensive than some of the other suppliers but they are very helpful when you call in putting together a system that meets your needs. For example, in my case they threw in a "demo" cable because I had a short run for part of the system. I don't remember what I paid for the system, but they do have their prices on their website. My only complaint with the system is the connector for the trailer is tight enough that it is a bit of a pain to plug & unplug (particularly plug) each time I unhook. It is a bit of an overkill - it is the connector that is often used to feed a tractor trailer rig.

That said, I've been told that Costco has the same cameras & system at lower prices. I don't know that for sure since I've never been to a Costco.

There are other suppliers - my suggestion is to go with a wired system & two cameras (one for the trailer & one for the tow vehicle to see the hitch).

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been using clip-on mirrors and while it can be a pain in the butt to get them adjusted into the right place (when putting them on standing still you have to anticipate how wind resistance while driving will push them forward) I've found them really helpful.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
The Tow Truck, (Dodge Dakota) already has a trailer tow package on it so add ons are not needed.

The Plymouth needs add on mirrors which are straped to each door. The heads of these mirrors are older Toyota (1983)truck mirrors which work well and have no vibration at all. They are a customized version of the Mckesh mirrors.

Doug, I tow with a Dodge Dakota trailer tow package. I still use strap on mirrors.
Many states have a 200' law. That is you have to be able to see what's behind you at the 200' and beyond mark. Without the wiggle waggle and without extension mirrors I can't see that close. With the stock mirrors there's also a blind spot on the right side, making changing lanes a bit risky without the extension mirrors. I do have a canopy over the bed so it's a bit more difficult to look out the rear and side.
I vote for bit more safety.
I think the rear view camera will work pretty good for what's right behind you, but again there's the blind spot thing.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I have been using clip-on mirrors and while it can be a pain in the butt to get them adjusted into the right place (when putting them on standing still you have to anticipate how wind resistance while driving will push them forward) I've found them really helpful.
I have a couple of pairs of those mirrors which have the rubber straps, and while they work , they are still annoying to install and even once adjusted, they tend to vibrate going down the road.
I recently gathered these parts... a Bicycle mirror, a stainless steel screw, a nylock nut, and a cheap screwdriver handle.
I then drilled one 5/16" hole in the frame of the Escape's mirror and installed my new "extension mirror".
I works remarkably well.... In fact better than the strap mirrors.
The cloth bag with a velcro seal is used to store the mirror in the bottom of my console when not in use.
Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0051.JPG   DSCF0047.JPG  

DSCF0049.JPG  
Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I use the strap on mirrors ever since my first trip without. I was surprised how much more you can see with them, wouldn't tow without now.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I recently gathered these parts... a Bicycle mirror, a stainless steel screw, a nylock nut, and a cheap screwdriver handle.
I then drilled one 5/16" hole in the frame of the Escape's mirror and installed my new "extension mirror".
I think I might try that.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
I second that... We have Cipa slip-on mirrors and find their performance to be nearly as good as OEM
We use one on the driver side only. There was some slop in the fit so I put a glob of silicone inside the mirror case and it now holds tightly against the factory mirror - easy and quick to do. I formerly used a strap on mirror and it worked okay, but the Cipa slip-on is much tighter and doesn't vibrate - I wouldn't tow without it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
In the past I faithfully used extension mirrors for my Bambi Airstream and Aljo stick build. However, with my current combination (Jeep Liberty and 13' Scamp) I don't seem to need them. When I look into the Jeep mirrors, I see past the Scamp with just a little "in back" view. It seems to be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruby Beach.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have a 1996 GMC Savana 1500 that has been converted to a travel van. I don't even see the trailer, except the top corners of it. The problem I have is the mirrors vibrate so much I can barely see. They are larger then the mirrors on my 1995 GMC Safari mini van, but not that much larger. Since it is both of them I am thinking that it is a design flaw.

Does anyone have an idea of how to stabilize the mirrors?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have a 1996 GMC Savana 1500 that has been converted to a travel van. I don't even see the trailer, except the top corners of it. The problem I have is the mirrors vibrate so much I can barely see. They are larger then the mirrors on my 1995 GMC Safari mini van, but not that much larger. Since it is both of them I am thinking that it is a design flaw.

Does anyone have an idea of how to stabilize the mirrors?
There was more than one mirror available for that van. Do you have the large flag mirror mounted on a pipe with a 90 degree bend in it?
Could you post a picture?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
There was more than one mirror available for that van. Do you have the large flag mirror mounted on a pipe with a 90 degree bend in it?
Could you post a picture?
This is the best picture I could find of the mirror on The Limo.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Mirror.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This is the best picture I could find of the mirror on The Limo.
Good news! That's not the one I described earlier.
Tap the top of the mirror housing gently with the palm of your hand to see if something is obviously loose or cracked. If it seems ok, then you will likely improve the mirrors vibration problem by removing the panel on the interior side of the mirror and check that the retaining nuts are snug and have not broken through, Inspect the door frame and mirror area for cracks.
Check to see if the vibration is mitigated by rolling the window all the way up, if so the problem is in the door.
You should check the frame around the window to see that it is snug against the body side of the opening. If not, you can gently pressure it inward a bit with the window up and the door open then it should fit tighter when closed.
Many times you can mitigate both vibration and wind noise by thoroughly cleaning the door gasket and spraying it with silicone spray.
If everything appears fine or you have tightened all three nuts and the vibration remains, then check to see if the pivot point is worn or loose.

Tap the mirror itself with your fingertips if it vibrates or moves around without the housing or frame moving then it has internal problems.
the inside mounts are screwed in, usually with 3 or 4 scews. the mirror face is removable but it is difficult and often results in breakage.
It has been a while since I worked on one exactly like yours, so eventhough much of what I've said is accurate some may not apply, you may need a repair manual for more details.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
I have a couple of pairs of those mirrors which have the rubber straps, and while they work , they are still annoying to install and even once adjusted, they tend to vibrate going down the road.
The cloth bag with a velcro seal is used to store the mirror in the bottom of my console when not in use.
Here are some pics....
Floyd,
That is really clever! I might add that motorcycle mirrors are usually designed to resist severe vibration.
David