Do you use extra mirrors when towing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I recently gathered these parts... a Bicycle mirror, a stainless steel screw, a nylock nut, and a cheap screwdriver handle.
I then drilled one 5/16" hole in the frame of the Escape's mirror and installed my new "extension mirror".
I works remarkably well.... In fact better than the strap mirrors.
I think I might try that.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
I second that... We have Cipa slip-on mirrors and find their performance to be nearly as good as OEM
We use one on the driver side only. There was some slop in the fit so I put a glob of silicone inside the mirror case and it now holds tightly against the factory mirror - easy and quick to do. I formerly used a strap on mirror and it worked okay, but the Cipa slip-on is much tighter and doesn't vibrate - I wouldn't tow without it.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
In the past I faithfully used extension mirrors for my Bambi Airstream and Aljo stick build. However, with my current combination (Jeep Liberty and 13' Scamp) I don't seem to need them. When I look into the Jeep mirrors, I see past the Scamp with just a little "in back" view. It seems to be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruby Beach.jpg  
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have a 1996 GMC Savana 1500 that has been converted to a travel van. I don't even see the trailer, except the top corners of it. The problem I have is the mirrors vibrate so much I can barely see. They are larger then the mirrors on my 1995 GMC Safari mini van, but not that much larger. Since it is both of them I am thinking that it is a design flaw.

Does anyone have an idea of how to stabilize the mirrors?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have a 1996 GMC Savana 1500 that has been converted to a travel van. I don't even see the trailer, except the top corners of it. The problem I have is the mirrors vibrate so much I can barely see. They are larger then the mirrors on my 1995 GMC Safari mini van, but not that much larger. Since it is both of them I am thinking that it is a design flaw.

Does anyone have an idea of how to stabilize the mirrors?
There was more than one mirror available for that van. Do you have the large flag mirror mounted on a pipe with a 90 degree bend in it?
Could you post a picture?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
There was more than one mirror available for that van. Do you have the large flag mirror mounted on a pipe with a 90 degree bend in it?
Could you post a picture?
This is the best picture I could find of the mirror on The Limo.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Mirror.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This is the best picture I could find of the mirror on The Limo.
Good news! That's not the one I described earlier.
Tap the top of the mirror housing gently with the palm of your hand to see if something is obviously loose or cracked. If it seems ok, then you will likely improve the mirrors vibration problem by removing the panel on the interior side of the mirror and check that the retaining nuts are snug and have not broken through, Inspect the door frame and mirror area for cracks.
Check to see if the vibration is mitigated by rolling the window all the way up, if so the problem is in the door.
You should check the frame around the window to see that it is snug against the body side of the opening. If not, you can gently pressure it inward a bit with the window up and the door open then it should fit tighter when closed.
Many times you can mitigate both vibration and wind noise by thoroughly cleaning the door gasket and spraying it with silicone spray.
If everything appears fine or you have tightened all three nuts and the vibration remains, then check to see if the pivot point is worn or loose.

Tap the mirror itself with your fingertips if it vibrates or moves around without the housing or frame moving then it has internal problems.
the inside mounts are screwed in, usually with 3 or 4 scews. the mirror face is removable but it is difficult and often results in breakage.
It has been a while since I worked on one exactly like yours, so eventhough much of what I've said is accurate some may not apply, you may need a repair manual for more details.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
I have a couple of pairs of those mirrors which have the rubber straps, and while they work , they are still annoying to install and even once adjusted, they tend to vibrate going down the road.
I recently gathered these parts... a Bicycle mirror, a stainless steel screw, a nylock nut, and a cheap screwdriver handle.
I then drilled one 5/16" hole in the frame of the Escape's mirror and installed my new "extension mirror".
I works remarkably well.... In fact better than the strap mirrors.
The cloth bag with a velcro seal is used to store the mirror in the bottom of my console when not in use.
Here are some pics....
Floyd,
That is really clever! I might add that motorcycle mirrors are usually designed to resist severe vibration.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #29

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Good news! That's not the one I described earlier.
Thanks Floyd!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bought from Amazon a pair of convex strap on mirrors. I believe they are by CIPA and they have the ratchet straps which work very well. We are 1300 miles into a 2500 mile trip and there is practically no vibration issues. Only problem is that with them on our Honda CRV they limit the movement of the factory mirrors but not enough to be much of an issue. They were about $20 each. I would recommend them. Tried the Winch model by Valley, also from Amazon, but didn't like it and sent it back.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote