Do you use extra mirrors when towing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Do you use extra mirrors when towing?

I have found that many times even the "extra-extension' camper mirrors on my GMC are just not able to let me see past my trailer - and when using a smaller vehicle, the mirrors are almost completely useless.

I use a CIPA (strap onto the door) kind for towing, in addition to whatever the vehicle came with.

To see this type - go onto the Summit Racing home page and enter part number CIPA 11650 (its the only place I have seen them on line - I did NOT get mine there, however, but at a local racing/speed shop)

Do you use any additional mirrors for extra safety?

If so, what kind?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
CIPA 10900 Chevrolet/GMC Custom Pair Towing Mirrors

I've found these to be good.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I should have googled "CIPA 11650" before posting my original. There are a LOT of places on line that sell them and nearly all other sites are cheaper than Summit. Amazon has them as well.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I find that with my (2004) Jeep Liberty's standard rear view mirrors I can see fairly well around my 2005 13' Scamp. It is not 100% but it is fairly close.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Towing our Egg Camper with our minivan I need extra mirrors. Towing our Egg with our Chevy Silverado I don't need extra. Towing our Kodiak with anything, extra mirrors are needed.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
I second that... We have Cipa slip-on mirrors and find their performance to be nearly as good as OEM
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
No, but I have a camera mounted on the trailer from Rear View Safety. Works Great as a rear view morror.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #8

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye
No, but I have a camera mounted on the trailer from Rear View Safety. Works Great as a rear view morror.
I like that idea!

My new car is 4" wider than my old car. I use extension mirrors, and even with the old car (67.9" wide), I was able to see around the Scamp pretty well.

I find that most people have their side mirrors set incorrectly. Most people set the mirrors so that they see behind their car in both mirrors. That's what the REAR veiled is for! Side mirrors are for seeing to the SIDEs of the car! With the extension mirrors on, I set them so that I am looking right down the sides (and a bit behind) the trailer, and use the vehicle's side mirrors for seeing to the sides.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I used extension mirrors when we had an 8'wide stick built. They were a pain because they vibrated and got out of adjustment.

I included them when I sold the trailer.

I am fine without them towing our Casita with a Blazer.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have clip on mirrors but rarely use them. We have added convex mirrors to the corners of the Honda's mirrors and that seems to help.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have clip on mirrors but rarely use them.
I have extra mirrors that strap on to the regular mirrors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0011.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	40175

I bought them when I bought the Fiber Stream, and have always used them.
Yes, they vibrate a little. But after 3 travel mugs of coffee so do I.

I can make sense of what I see in them with only a glance.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The Tow Truck, (Dodge Dakota) already has a trailer tow package on it so add ons are not needed.

The Plymouth needs add on mirrors which are straped to each door. The heads of these mirrors are older Toyota (1983)truck mirrors which work well and have no vibration at all. They are a customized version of the Mckesh mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
plymouth n trailer6.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use McKesh towing mirrors to see around our 8' wide Bigfoot. Piggyback strap-on mirrors didn't work well for me.

1980 Bigfoot :: NW New Mexico picture by tomNjo - Photobucket

http://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
We do the same ,what a difference the camera made !
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #15

Name: carrie
Trailer: 83 Burro (for sale)
Iowa
camera suggestions?

Jon and John, we're looking at doing the camera thing too with our 13' Burro. Any suggestions, what features to look for, how much is too much or too little pay? We're just starting to look and some guidance would be great. Thanks much!

~carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. M View Post
We do the same ,what a difference the camera made !
radloffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Rear View Safety is more expensive than some of the other suppliers but they are very helpful when you call in putting together a system that meets your needs. For example, in my case they threw in a "demo" cable because I had a short run for part of the system. I don't remember what I paid for the system, but they do have their prices on their website. My only complaint with the system is the connector for the trailer is tight enough that it is a bit of a pain to plug & unplug (particularly plug) each time I unhook. It is a bit of an overkill - it is the connector that is often used to feed a tractor trailer rig.

That said, I've been told that Costco has the same cameras & system at lower prices. I don't know that for sure since I've never been to a Costco.

There are other suppliers - my suggestion is to go with a wired system & two cameras (one for the trailer & one for the tow vehicle to see the hitch).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been using clip-on mirrors and while it can be a pain in the butt to get them adjusted into the right place (when putting them on standing still you have to anticipate how wind resistance while driving will push them forward) I've found them really helpful.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
The Tow Truck, (Dodge Dakota) already has a trailer tow package on it so add ons are not needed.

The Plymouth needs add on mirrors which are straped to each door. The heads of these mirrors are older Toyota (1983)truck mirrors which work well and have no vibration at all. They are a customized version of the Mckesh mirrors.

Doug, I tow with a Dodge Dakota trailer tow package. I still use strap on mirrors.
Many states have a 200' law. That is you have to be able to see what's behind you at the 200' and beyond mark. Without the wiggle waggle and without extension mirrors I can't see that close. With the stock mirrors there's also a blind spot on the right side, making changing lanes a bit risky without the extension mirrors. I do have a canopy over the bed so it's a bit more difficult to look out the rear and side.
I vote for bit more safety.
I think the rear view camera will work pretty good for what's right behind you, but again there's the blind spot thing.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I have been using clip-on mirrors and while it can be a pain in the butt to get them adjusted into the right place (when putting them on standing still you have to anticipate how wind resistance while driving will push them forward) I've found them really helpful.
I have a couple of pairs of those mirrors which have the rubber straps, and while they work , they are still annoying to install and even once adjusted, they tend to vibrate going down the road.
I recently gathered these parts... a Bicycle mirror, a stainless steel screw, a nylock nut, and a cheap screwdriver handle.
I then drilled one 5/16" hole in the frame of the Escape's mirror and installed my new "extension mirror".
I works remarkably well.... In fact better than the strap mirrors.
The cloth bag with a velcro seal is used to store the mirror in the bottom of my console when not in use.
Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0051.JPG   DSCF0047.JPG  

DSCF0049.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I use the strap on mirrors ever since my first trip without. I was surprised how much more you can see with them, wouldn't tow without now.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote