Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Diesel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Not touching the diesel torque discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
It looks like Chevy is also in line to add this engine.
New Chevrolet 1/2T diesels on the way - iRV2 Forums)
I followed the link, fully expecting the irv2 post to be about some obsolete plans from pre-2008... but it is a reference to current discussion. It seems vastly more likely to me - and to those quoted in the linked AutoGuide articles - that this will take the form of offering the new Colorado with one of the diesels that are currently offered for it in other countries. This is quite different from planting something in the Silverado/Sierra.

The Colorado's direct Ford competition is the Ranger. The Ranger's diesel (but not the current Ranger itself) is arriving in North America in the Transit commercial van, so potentially it could go in other models. There is no GM equivalent, because as of 2014 GM will be the last of the Big Three holding out with their traditional vans, rather than bringing their worldwide commercial van line here... which would presumably be the Opel/Vauxhall Movano, which in turn is a Renault Master, so apparently - like Chrysler - GM doesn't have their own worldwide commercial van.

The Ram 1500 is not getting Ram's big van engine - that would be the four-cylinder in the coming ProMaster (Fiat Ducato) - but it is getting another engine from Fiat's diesel engine supplier (VM Motori).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
WOW...All that discussion and not a mention of the est $42,250.00 price tag. I didn't realize that I was in such an affluent group that it wouldn't at least raise a eyebrow.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
WOW...All that discussion and not a mention of the est $42,250.00 price tag. I didn't realize that I was in such an affluent group that it wouldn't at least raise a eyebrow.
When I purchased my first NEW truck in 2011 as a retirement gift to myself ,the trucks MSRP was almost $37,000 . I was astonished when the salesman described the truck as a low end ,basic truck .
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
The prices are lofty. A buddy bought a brand new pickup. I had a look inside the cab and closed the door. Rattles galore. Felt so cheap but as long as folks keep paying the high prices the companies will be happy to keep selling them. I think we all know by now about the high profits in light truck sales. Not
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #19

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
If you live in the US you don't know what high prices are! Notice that I mentioned buying one second hand in about ten years. Hoping there are millions of greater fools who only think about the monthly payment and low interest rates.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I purchased my first NEW truck in 2011 as a retirement gift to myself ,the trucks MSRP was almost $37,000 . I was astonished when the salesman described the truck as a low end ,basic truck .
Prices really aren't getting any higher.
The dollar just continues to lose value.

Gas was $.20 (silver) @ gallon.
Now it's $3.50 (paper) @ gallon.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #21

British Columbia
The Ram 1500 now sits at the top of Consumer Reports’ rankings for full-size pickup trucks
Read more: Consumer Reports: Ram 1500 Now the Top Truck | Fox Business

Here is hoping a significant number of buyers reject the gas guzzling hemi in favour of the VM diesel.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #22

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
The Ram 1500 now sits at the top of Consumer Reportsí rankings for full-size pickup trucks
Read more: Consumer Reports: Ram 1500 Now the Top Truck | Fox Business

Here is hoping a significant number of buyers reject the gas guzzling hemi in favour of the VM diesel.
That's really interesting. I've got my eye on Dodge.
It will be another year or the next year before I will be considering a new purchase. By then there should be more write up on all of them. I've had a Dodge or two and liked them. I just don't like the fact that Dodge has had such lousy resale values and all that. And the Town & Country's don't do well in the scoring either. Perhaps Dodge will get that part of their act together.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #23

British Columbia
Resale value? Check out the prices of Dodge Ram cummins turbo diesels on the second hand market. Prices drop pretty slowly after the 5 year mark. If you don't like massive depreciation (I don't) then don't buy new. Between financing and depreciation buying a new truck can be financial suicide.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been punching some numbers and based upon projected fuel economy the diesel offers over the Hemi, I may be persuaded to upgrade. Currently I get about 15-17 mpg empty and 12-14 mpg towing. I have to use mid range fuel which for my calculations equals diesel fuel cost. Anyway with a projected increase in mpg to 20 towing and 27 not towing, it turns out to be a 60-70% increase in efficiency. So over 5000 miles towing my fuel would drop from $1700 to $1000 and non towing the same proportionate decrease.
It would appear to me about a $1400/year savings in fuel cost for 8000 miles total driving.
Greater if more is driven and less if less is driven.
With an initial cost of around $35k for the truck and my trade in value of about $25K, it looks like a $10 k delta which means a 6 year payback.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #25

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Only truck I might consider selling my old cummins for. The 03 is a great truck and mileage is amazing considering what it is but I'm really liking the looks of the new V6. I can see myself selling three vehicles and going to one truck to do everything.

A new dodge diesel 4x4 with a camper shell would replace my old cummins/dodge (daily driver), AWD astro van (camper) and the X-terra (4x4)... Still have to add a bit of cash I suspect.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #26

Name: stan b
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I have never needed or owned a pick up but for those who like and need one this new Dodge V6 D is interesting. Thinking it would be a good match up to the Ford Eco boost.

Ram to offer V6 diesel as $2,850 option in light pickups
Purchased a Ram Eco with its little V-6 diesel. For me it is a great performing truck. First trip from Fort Pierce to Melbourne netted 34 mpg at 60 mph. Of course that was empty running on a flat road. Combined city and highway driving the computer states 29.1 mpg. The real reason for the purchase was the truck's ability to pull a fully loaded Casita at Highway speeds. Well it works for me.
The sweet spot is 62 mph and getting a consistent 20 mpg. Truck has a 3.21 rear gears which I questioned............3.55 may have been better for pulling.

All my figures are based on the on board truck computer not on my thoughts.

Maybe this truck is not for everyone but for me I got tired of a true 10 to 12 mpg when pulling my little egg. Oh.........one other item to put to sleep.....it sure is no dog.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #27

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram stan View Post
Purchased a Ram Eco with its little V-6 diesel. For me it is a great performing truck. First trip from Fort Pierce to Melbourne netted 34 mpg at 60 mph. Of course that was empty running on a flat road. Combined city and highway driving the computer states 29.1 mpg. The real reason for the purchase was the truck's ability to pull a fully loaded Casita at Highway speeds. Well it works for me.
The sweet spot is 62 mph and getting a consistent 20 mpg. Truck has a 3.21 rear gears which I questioned............3.55 may have been better for pulling.

All my figures are based on the on board truck computer not on my thoughts.

Maybe this truck is not for everyone but for me I got tired of a true 10 to 12 mpg when pulling my little egg. Oh.........one other item to put to sleep.....it sure is no dog.
Thanks for the info Stan.
I've had my eye on the Ram's for some time.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #28

NE Oklahoma
Oh, and welcome to the Forum