Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Diesel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #21

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
The Ram 1500 now sits at the top of Consumer Reports’ rankings for full-size pickup trucks
Read more: Consumer Reports: Ram 1500 Now the Top Truck | Fox Business

Here is hoping a significant number of buyers reject the gas guzzling hemi in favour of the VM diesel.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
The Ram 1500 now sits at the top of Consumer Reports’ rankings for full-size pickup trucks
Read more: Consumer Reports: Ram 1500 Now the Top Truck | Fox Business

Here is hoping a significant number of buyers reject the gas guzzling hemi in favour of the VM diesel.
That's really interesting. I've got my eye on Dodge.
It will be another year or the next year before I will be considering a new purchase. By then there should be more write up on all of them. I've had a Dodge or two and liked them. I just don't like the fact that Dodge has had such lousy resale values and all that. And the Town & Country's don't do well in the scoring either. Perhaps Dodge will get that part of their act together.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #23

British Columbia
Resale value? Check out the prices of Dodge Ram cummins turbo diesels on the second hand market. Prices drop pretty slowly after the 5 year mark. If you don't like massive depreciation (I don't) then don't buy new. Between financing and depreciation buying a new truck can be financial suicide.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been punching some numbers and based upon projected fuel economy the diesel offers over the Hemi, I may be persuaded to upgrade. Currently I get about 15-17 mpg empty and 12-14 mpg towing. I have to use mid range fuel which for my calculations equals diesel fuel cost. Anyway with a projected increase in mpg to 20 towing and 27 not towing, it turns out to be a 60-70% increase in efficiency. So over 5000 miles towing my fuel would drop from $1700 to $1000 and non towing the same proportionate decrease.
It would appear to me about a $1400/year savings in fuel cost for 8000 miles total driving.
Greater if more is driven and less if less is driven.
With an initial cost of around $35k for the truck and my trade in value of about $25K, it looks like a $10 k delta which means a 6 year payback.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #25

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Only truck I might consider selling my old cummins for. The 03 is a great truck and mileage is amazing considering what it is but I'm really liking the looks of the new V6. I can see myself selling three vehicles and going to one truck to do everything.

A new dodge diesel 4x4 with a camper shell would replace my old cummins/dodge (daily driver), AWD astro van (camper) and the X-terra (4x4)... Still have to add a bit of cash I suspect.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #26

Name: stan b
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I have never needed or owned a pick up but for those who like and need one this new Dodge V6 D is interesting. Thinking it would be a good match up to the Ford Eco boost.

Ram to offer V6 diesel as $2,850 option in light pickups
Purchased a Ram Eco with its little V-6 diesel. For me it is a great performing truck. First trip from Fort Pierce to Melbourne netted 34 mpg at 60 mph. Of course that was empty running on a flat road. Combined city and highway driving the computer states 29.1 mpg. The real reason for the purchase was the truck's ability to pull a fully loaded Casita at Highway speeds. Well it works for me.
The sweet spot is 62 mph and getting a consistent 20 mpg. Truck has a 3.21 rear gears which I questioned............3.55 may have been better for pulling.

All my figures are based on the on board truck computer not on my thoughts.

Maybe this truck is not for everyone but for me I got tired of a true 10 to 12 mpg when pulling my little egg. Oh.........one other item to put to sleep.....it sure is no dog.
ram stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #27

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram stan View Post
Purchased a Ram Eco with its little V-6 diesel. For me it is a great performing truck. First trip from Fort Pierce to Melbourne netted 34 mpg at 60 mph. Of course that was empty running on a flat road. Combined city and highway driving the computer states 29.1 mpg. The real reason for the purchase was the truck's ability to pull a fully loaded Casita at Highway speeds. Well it works for me.
The sweet spot is 62 mph and getting a consistent 20 mpg. Truck has a 3.21 rear gears which I questioned............3.55 may have been better for pulling.

All my figures are based on the on board truck computer not on my thoughts.

Maybe this truck is not for everyone but for me I got tired of a true 10 to 12 mpg when pulling my little egg. Oh.........one other item to put to sleep.....it sure is no dog.
Thanks for the info Stan.
I've had my eye on the Ram's for some time.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #28

NE Oklahoma
Oh, and welcome to the Forum
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #29

British Columbia
Thats the kind of mileage numbers I'd like to see. Thanks for the report. I get 15+ mpg with the 5.9Cummins while towing my 1700 boler. Kind of amazing that an engine half the size of mine and just as powerful as the stock cummins can only squeeze out an additional 5 mpg. So the new dodge gets 25% better fuel economy but if it doesn't burn fuel, it burns money instead through depreciation and financing.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you can also say the reverse in that if a motor half your size get's batter mpg, I'd look into why you are not getting 30 mpg with your Cummins. Towing that Boler should have no impact on your efficiency, that motor will tow it just while idling.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #31

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
How big is your fuel tank. While I like mileage , I like range even more. I would love to have one if the new Ram's. The first think I'd do is put a bigger tank in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Kind of amazing that an engine half the size of mine and just as powerful as the stock cummins can only squeeze out an additional 5 mpg.
I'm wondering if we are talking about the same gallons here? Ram Stan is in the USA and Rene is in Canada.

The US gallon is smaller, but the miles are the same. Giving the illusion of a lower fuel efficiency in the USA than Canada. Depending on how one converts that would account for an 18 - 20 % difference

1 U.S. Gallon = 0.83267 Canadian (Imperial) Gallons
1 Can Gallon = 1.201 U.S. Gallons
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #33

Name: Aria
Trailer: Currently Shopping
ny
Hi! Guys, which sites do you use for checking the vehicle`s history?
Aria789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria789 View Post
You have added to two old threads from 2014. You seem to be in the market for a tow vehicle and have some questions. I'm going to suggest posting a new thread in the tow vehicle section of the forums. Try to be as detailed as possible in your question about what you're planning to tow, what general type of vehicle you're shopping for, and what budget range you're looking for.

To start a new thread, click on the "Forums" tab at the top, click on the desired sub-forum ("Towing, Hitching..." in this case), and then click the yellow "New Thread" button in the upper left corner. Choose a descriptive title, perhaps "Buying a Used Tow Vehicle" and then ask all your questions in one place.

I see you just joined us yesterday, so let me add a sincere welcome to the group, and best wishes in your search for a molded fiberglass trailer and a vehicle to pull it!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria789 View Post
Hi: Aria789... Here's a pic of our 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 1500. We have owned it since 2018/ 55,000 km. and were able to purchase the extended warranty till 100,000 km. We now have 126,000 on it and other that the dreaded MIL lights and computer BS it has been great. Maintenance is higher than a gasser but so is the fuel economy. On a good day towing we can get 25+ miles per Imperial gallon!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040902.jpg   P1040872.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote