Dodge Ram 2500 4x2 CTD Regular Cab, Long Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #1

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Dodge Ram 2500 4x2 CTD Regular Cab, Long Box

My "new" tow vehicle! Bought this yesterday, Still in the process of doing all the paperwork, inspections, taxes, fees and insurance. Will post more pics later once we get things settled.

This is a 1997 model with just a hair over 300000km or almost 200000miles. Very little rust and lots of performance mods. Recently rebuilt auto trans with heavy duty torque converter and large oil sump pan. Big honkin air filter, 4" performance exhaust, 150hp cam plate, air ride suspension and on it goes.

This truck is proof that performance mods cost a lot and you never see a dime of it back. I have the receipts for the mods and they total more than I paid for it.

It was $6500 in here in Canada, more than i would pay in the US. I consider it worth it though because I did not have to sell my soul to buy a new one.
If I save a bit of money on fuel and don't spend too much on repairs it will be worth it. Supposed to get the same mileage solo and towing as our current GM 1500 4.3l V6 BUT with torque and speed. I look forward to posting our fuel economy and performance stats this spring.

This truck was used for a number of years to tow a trailer to arizona and back by some senior snowbirds. So was completely outfitted for this purpose before being rebuilt by the last owner who wanted to snowbird as well but never went more than 6000 km in the five years he owned it. Supposedly it was never driven in the winter, so the body is in good shape.

We figure since the truck already knows how to get to arizona. We will just have to hop in and point it the right direction.
Anyways I feel very fortunate to have my dream tow vehicle and will keep you posted on how it tows an egg.
Attached Images

Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
The Cummins 5.9 is one of the best engines ever made. Enjoy!

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Nice.

The 5.9 12 valve is one of the best engines ever built.

To get a long service life- fuel, oil and keep your foot to the floor. The babied ISBs never last long. The used and abused ones never stop running.