does anyone pull a casita 17 deluxe with a tacoma? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Steven, mine is 6500 lbs.

Personally I would stay with your full size! Not that I don't like my Tacoma, but I loved pulling with my full sized Z71 and frankly the mpg wasn't any different!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #16

Name: Maynard and Jacquie
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
I pull a 17' SD with an 09 Tacoma Pre-Runner. V-6 Auto trans, WDH and sway bar.
Average between 14 - 17 mpg. Mileage depends on terrain and tow speed. I try to stay between 55-60 mpg. I have no complaints. 6500 lbs. towing capacity. Only white knuckes I ever had was approaching a tornado last year near Lancaster, PA. Very happy with combination.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Gvwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Steven, mine is 6500 lbs.

Personally I would stay with your full size! Not that I don't like my Tacoma, but I loved pulling with my full sized Z71 and frankly the mpg wasn't any different!
I plan on staying with my full size truck cause it is paid for but is it possible that the Tacoma pulling a 17 ft Casita is going over it's GVWR . The OP is getting a new vehicle so he can pull his Casita and I am wondering if the Tacoma is rated to handle the Casita's high tongue weight and additional cargo . It does not take much to get to 2 to 3 hundred pounds of cargo and putting the cargo in the trailer means moving it in and out of the trailer at every campsite. I added air bags to my rear suspension to help with leveling and am looking at a WD hitch but that still doesn't help with the GVWR problem
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What is the GVWR for the Tacoma? My 2011 full size pickup has a GVWR of 6700 lbs . max tongue weight of 850 lbs and a towing capacity of 8550 Lbs. When I subtract the base weight of the vehicle ,the weight of my fiberglass topper, 2 passengers , 1 dog , and the tongue weight of a Casita 17 (Based on Frederics real world weights Avg tongue weight is 438 lbs for a 17 ft Casita) , I have about 250 lbs left for cargo . I am concerned that this does not leave much margin for error and I am uncomfortable towing in this manner.
If you're deducting the weight of the vehicle from the towing capacity, Steve, you're selling the vehicle short....tow capacity is just that.

In addition to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), there should be a "Gross Combined Weight Rating" (GCWR) on your truck that represents the combination of both vehicle and trailer weight...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Gvwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If you're deducting the weight of the vehicle from the towing capacity, Steve, you're selling the vehicle short....tow capacity is just that.

In addition to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), there should be a "Gross Combined Weight Rating" (GCWR) on your truck that represents the combination of both vehicle and trailer weight...

Francesca
My truck is rated for 6700 lbs GVWR with a payload of 1350 Lbs and a vehicle curb weight of 5350 Lbs. ( 6700 Lbs- 5350 Lbs=1350 Lbs payload )
1350 lbs - 200 lbs for my fiberglass topper =1150 lbs ** 1150 lbs - 2 passengers weighing 350 Lbs total =800 lbs ** 800 lbs - 1 dog at 75 lbs = 775 ** 775 lbs- tongue weight of a Casita @ 425 lbs = 350 lbs**
350 lbs - 1/2 tank of fuel @ 150 lbs = 200 Lbs left for all your cargo hauled in the truck (Dodge curb weight is calculated with only a 1/2 tank of fuel according to the sheet I got from Dodge) This is why I am questioning the Tacoma
My truck is rated to tow 8550 lbs with a WD hitch , 1/2 tank of fuel , the driver only and NO other cargo or passengers .

Steve D
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
As Steve explained in detail, he is not deducting the weight of the vehicle from the towing capacity; he is appropriately checking the vehicle's capacity to handle the load it is carrying (which includes tongue weight) within the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

The GCWR is also a limit on the rig, but not the one which is a concern for Steve's situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #21

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
well...its kinda late now. i have signed my life away. the papers say 650/6500 but that might be with a wdh

it felt really good pulling from one shop to the next -about 5 miles on good road...without antisway attached.

i dont carry much-and have the propane off and the chairs and table out.

how can this truck not do it when ppl thought a rav could? i only drive good, flat roads and go about 15 miles from house for now. i do have a wdh if i go on long trip...but if i do that my health will have to be better

i dont have to go in wind and can even control when i go depending on traffic.

i need to think positive. i need to be ok with this combo.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post

how can this truck not do it when ppl thought a rav could? .

Take a de-e-e-e-p breath and reread the thread, Babaloo!

Everybody that actually has a Tacoma says it'll do just fine, including several who've towed the same trailer you have with one.

Happy Camping!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #23

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
pull casita 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
???
I have friends who pull a Casita 17 with a Honda Ridgeline.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
I have friends who pull a Casita 17 with a Honda Ridgeline.
Interesting, I suppose, but I don't understand the significance. The question is specifically about towing with a Tacoma, and there little in common (and no parts at all in common) between a Toyota Tacoma and a Honda Ridgeline; it seems to me that it would be difficult for two street-driven vehicles to be much more different in design and construction.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita